Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

EVGA 896-P3-1260-TR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Open Window

Those are the main parts i am gonna put into my new case. The rest (Hard Drive; CPU cooler, case fans, A DVD-RW drive) i am just gonna move over from my old comp.

i have 2 questions. Are these parts suitable for running pcsx2 at top speeds and also good for playing modern gaming. Also, i dont know if i should get all these parts from newegg or zipzoomfly. zipzoomfly is cheaper but i dont know if i am finding the exact same parts at both websites or if the parts from both website do the same thing . hear can someone tell me if both links for each part is essentially the same cause if it is i can save a lot of money.

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
newegg- Newegg.com - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

counterpart?- PATRIOT VIPER SERIES PVS24G6400LLKNB 4GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) Memory Retail at ZipZoomfly

EVGA 896-P3-1260-TR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
newegg- Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1260-TR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

counterpart?- EVGA 896-P3-1260-TR Geforce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card Retail at ZipZoomfly

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
newegg- Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

counterpart?- ASUS P5Q SE Plus Intel P45 Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Quad / Core 2 Duo / Pentium dual-core/Celeron d at ZipZoomfly

somebody please help me. i know its long but i dont want to make any mistakes

2 more questions

1. Will a 500 watt power supply be suitable for a system like this?

2. Do i need to worry about adding extra cooling (such as liquid or anything like that)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Slow slow slow slow slow ram. Iirc the CPU bus is 1333mhz, and you're buying ram that's 667mhz.. That's half the speed, your CPU is constantly going to be waiting on the ram. Ideally you'd want 1333mhz ram but you can't get DDR2 in that flavour so you're best off getting PC8500 (1066mhz) and if you're really adventurous overclock it.
500W will be pushing it pretty close, the GTX260 isn't exactly an economical card.. Grabbing a good quality 550W+ (Corsair TX for example) will manage.

No you don't need to worry about liquid cooling. But if you're going to be moving the cpu cooler over from your old pc, you're going to need some new thermal paste - arctic silver 5 is probably the best out there and only costs $5 or so.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
13,131 Posts
Slow slow slow slow slow ram. Iirc the CPU bus is 1333mhz, and you're buying ram that's 667mhz.. That's half the speed, your CPU is constantly going to be waiting on the ram. Ideally you'd want 1333mhz ram but you can't get DDR2 in that flavour so you're best off getting PC8500 (1066mhz) and if you're really adventurous overclock it.
500W will be pushing it pretty close, the GTX260 isn't exactly an economical card.. Grabbing a good quality 550W+ (Corsair TX for example) will manage.

No you don't need to worry about liquid cooling. But if you're going to be moving the cpu cooler over from your old pc, you're going to need some new thermal paste - arctic silver 5 is probably the best out there and only costs $5 or so.
He's building the pc for pcsx 2, not superpi.

The ram is fine and wont affect the speed in pcsx 2 by anything more than half an fps at most.
Same goes for pc games.

i have 2 questions. Are these parts suitable for running pcsx2 at top speeds and also good for playing modern gaming.

Also, i dont know if i should get all these parts from newegg or zipzoomfly. zipzoomfly is cheaper but i dont know if i am finding the exact same parts at both websites or if the parts from both website do the same thing . hear can someone tell me if both links for each part is essentially the same cause if it is i can save a lot of money.

somebody please help me. i know its long but i dont want to make any mistakes

2 more questions

1. Will a 500 watt power supply be suitable for a system like this?

2. Do i need to worry about adding extra cooling (such as liquid or anything like that)
Yes, the parts will work together from zipzoomfly, the pc will be good to go for games.

You don't have to worry about liquid cooling, just have good cable management and a few case fans.

500W will be fine if it's a good grade PSU

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Ungh, you do realize 667MHz RAM is what's 1:1 with a 1333MHz CPU, right? The FSB is quad pumped, so 1333MHz divided by 4 is 333. The RAM is double data rate, so 667MHz (it's really 666MHz, but I think Intel is afraid of that number) divided by 2 is 333MHz. Even though the FSB is effectively twice as fast, it's really 1:1, and it is 667MHz RAM that officially goes with and matches a 1333MHz FSB.

The RAM is fine. However, it is true that if this is for PCSX2, you're definitely going to want to overclock, and thus get RAM that can do more than just keep up. Most decent 667MHz RAM (non-Value or generic stuff) will go to 800MHz, sometimes higher, but the price difference is so small, that I'd get at least 800MHz RAM. Most 800MHz RAM goes to 900MHz, if not more, and unless you're shooting for the stars, you probably won't go over 950MHz at absolute most, if even 900MHz.

Here's what I have.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I'm sure there's better, and the timings aren't the greatest (it really does 5-5-5-12, as my label says, at 1.9V, the 5-5-5-18 is for 1.8V standard), but it goes up to about 960MHz (your mileage may vary), and unless you're going to run it faster than 1:1 (absolutely no reason to for PCSX2), it won't hold an overclock back. If you find better though for cheaper, go for it.

As for your extra questions, just get a good aftermarket CPU air cooler and a decent PSU. Here's two recommendations for each.

PSU:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Power Supplies,Power Supplies,PC Power & Cooling,
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Power Supplies,Power Supplies,Corsair Memory, Inc.,.

You'll notice I just linked to the PC Power & Cooling and Corsair sections, and not any specific PSUs. Any of them should work well (the 400W CX from Corsair, and the 370W and 420W models from PC Power & Cooling may be cutting it close though).

CPU Coolers:
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

P.S. The second is hard to recommend at that price, since other good coolers came down in price. It's an okay budget cooler, but I got mine for ~$20, and it was worth about $25 at most, like they used to have it.

The first is what I use (and I went from the second to the first), but I use an additional retention bracket (it uses push pins otherwise, like the second).

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Ungh, you do realize 667MHz RAM is what's 1:1 with a 1333MHz CPU, right? The FSB is quad pumped, so 1333MHz divided by 4 is 333. The RAM is double data rate, so 667MHz (it's really 666MHz, but I think Intel is afraid of that number) divided by 2 is 333MHz. Even though the FSB is effectively twice as fast, it's really 1:1, and it is 667MHz RAM that officially goes with and matches a 1333MHz FSB.

lol, no, its because clockgen isn't a fixed number, 333 is actually 333.3-333.7 so the clock speed is accurately 667.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
That should all work well. Just note that the stock CPU cooler isn't ideal for overclocking, which PCSX2 really benefits from, although it would work fine at stock or for mild overclocks. It just may run on the warm side (especially with summer coming up, and considering your location).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks you everyone. especially lord zedeck, i thank you all for your help. ill be sure to keep my system in a well cooled area. i hope i could do at least little overclocking but i guess im ok with that. i hope i got a real good pc on my hands.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
If you put a cheap aftermarket cooler with it, like either of the two I recommended, and optionally (also recommended) put $5 into a tube of Arctic Silver 5 and use that along with it, you should almost be certain to be good to go for 4GHz or more. Those components, unless you get a real lemon with any of them, will very likely do at least that much, and that's the ideal setup (not necessarily the best ever) for PCSX2 really.

If not, the stock cooler should still be okay for about 3.6GHz or so? Some have shown off videos of E8x00s using the stock cooler at 4.0GHz for the sake of it, but I wouldn't recommend it for actual or long term use.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Two should be fine (one front and one back, not counting the PSU's fan). That's all I had in the mATX case my Pentium Dual-core E2160 @3.0GHz was in, and the temperatures were fine with a stock cooler with the stock thermal grease. The two fans weren't even high RPM fans either. They were just the basic Cooler Master fan that sounds almost silent. The case did have two openings on the side though (one near the CPU for a duct that wasn't included, and another below for the GPU), but neither had fans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.