Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 862 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driven by the desire to heat up the room on a cold winter night, the NGEmu folding team was born. Being started by a small but fanatic team, it soon attracted members from all corners of the Emuforums, offering their idle CPU cycles and unused GPU power. As the months progressed, team 161326 soared to great heights. Before we knew it, we hit the top 5000, and as of yet we are still steadily climbing towards the top 1000 of the world.

As I write, what was started as a way for heating the room in a geeky way, the determination of the team has lead us to rank 1347 (out of more than 150.000 teams), having completed over 2600 work units we have accumulated a score of more than one and a half million points!

Hereby a big thanks to all our current contributors:
Masta.G.85.
D.D.
Ahielia
Dax
Samor
Runawayprisoner
ChainGuy
Skoreanime
Schumi_4EVER
Thanakil
Phil
BlueAmethyst
AEN-85
BobTheGoldfish
Squall-Leonhart
Prafull
Nosound.97
shaunhoare

As you see, with only 18 members we have been able to reach the top percent of the folding community. Our next milestone will be breaking into the top 1000, only to pound onwards towards the top 500 and possibly even higher. For that, we need all the help you can offer! It doesn’t matter if you’re running the latest i7 with 2 GTX295 cards, or simply an Athlon X2 with an ATi HD 3870, all idle cycles can contribute.

So, what is it you can do, and how do you join? And why should you join us?
First, a little explanation from the Official [email protected] FAQ:
What is [email protected]? What is protein folding?

[email protected] is a distributed computing project, that very simply stated, studies protein folding and misfolding. Protein folding is explained in more detail in the scientific background section.

What is distributed computing?

Distributed Computing is a method of computer processing in which different parts of a program, or different portions of data, are processing simultaneously on two or more computers that are communicating with each other over a network or through the Internet.

(...)

What happens if proteins don't fold correctly? Diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers are believed to result from protein misfolding. When proteins misfold, they can clump together ("aggregate"). These clumps can often gather in the brain, where they are believed to cause the symptoms of Mad Cow or Alzheimer's disease.
So what we're doing is we're combining our CPU/GPU power for the cause of aiding in the search for an answer to Alzheimer, Creutzfeldt Jakob and Cancer.

How can I participate?
Simple, all you have to do is to go to this page to download the regular client, or to this page to download the high performance client. The difference here is that the standard one runs on the background and gives you the least amount of interference to worry about. However they don't get you as much result as the high performance clients after all. Additionally, the high performance clients allow you to do the calculations on your GPU or even Playstation 3.

So which is the fastest?
In terms of raw calculations, the scale is as follows:

GPU > > Playstation 3 > > CPU

On the other hand, when it comes to flexibility, the order is reversed. The CPU can do a much wider range of calculations than GPUs are capable of at this moment. In the end, all work has to be done, so we would appreciate every type of processor you can invest in the project!

Anything else I need to know?
Well there's deadlines for the WU's (Work Units) to be handed in/uploaded.
Masta.G said:
Under the standard client, you usually have 45 days.

Under the SMP client, you usually have 15 - 30 days.

Under the GPU client, you usually have 15 days.

These deadlines aren't something to get overly worried about, especially with the GPU client as it can complete WUs in a very timely manner. Running your GPU client while you are surfing the internet, checking your email, etc. for just a few hours each day will have the WU completed in about 5 days or less.
Okay, I signed up, now how do I join [NGEmu]?
All you have to do is enter our Team ID in the client's settings, which is: 161326. Have fun, and feel free to join us in the forums to chat about! Also, if you have any questions, or would just like some general advice on how to optimize performance, feel free to ask. :thumb:

Additional information
Daily updates team statistics
Chainguy on running two GPU instances on one nVidia card
If you have any suggestions for the additional information, please send a PM

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
Already on the EVGA team, sorry ngemu. im ranked 55 right now on the team,and ranked 7865 in the world. :) i love my 260 gtx

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
As a note, using the advanced, experimental SMP cores can net a lot of PPD for those of us (including me) without a GPU that supports CAL or CUDA.

I'll contribute if a group is formed...;)

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
The name of the program still reminds me of laundry, so I refuse to do it.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
I dont know if my 8800GT has the horse power to light some bulbs here.XD

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
FAH saves the current current workload until an internet connection is detected at which point it will upload the completed work file and download a new one.

FAH can also be configured to operate as a service and run during your CPU's idle cycles.

Keeping your computer on 24/7 is not a requirement as FAH will save its progress and continue the next time it runs.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Its not wise to have my PC running 24/7....a leak could always be a danger if some accidently bumps into my case

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
True, but if you leave it on 24/7 like some do, there's no reason not to do something productive with your PC.
I fully agree with this statement. :thumb: Anyone who leaves their PC on 24/7 for the sake of not having to sit through POST and OS startup really should have FAH installed...

Its not wise to have my PC running 24/7....a leak could always be a danger if some accidently bumps into my case
An internal leak can occur even if your PC is off... :/

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fair enough Makotech
As a note, using the advanced, experimental SMP cores can net a lot of PPD for those of us (including me) without a GPU that supports CAL or CUDA.

I'll contribute if a group is formed...;)
[email protected]

Consider it done. Our Team ID is 161326

Also, which do you mean? I have simply installed the GPU client, I know it's supposed to be faster but is there a client even faster than this?

As for my contribution, the one paying the bills won't agree with me leaving on my pc 24/7, so I'll just contribute when its on and when I'm not gaming.

1 - 20 of 862 Posts