Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kidding about that thread title...(a very late april's fool joKe) hope you forgive me, but read the following:

This something i made with some spare time, (i could say that this is the next, yet unreleased version of pete's plugins 1.55, that it is in beta stage, leaked by me, or maybe a GPU plugin made by ME!!) now i know how the suposed false Reality Man (ultraHLE) felt like!....but that's another story....
NO, NO, for those that don't understand English very well...again...NO NO this is not any of the previous statements... All i did was take a screenshot and, THIS IS THE PART THAT MATTERS,i edited the original screenshot and atached the 'menu' with Paint shop, seeing this, tell me what you think. specially you, PETE Barnet, could you do something like this if people supported it? maybe the menu looked a lot better if i made it transparent, this took about 10 min, i guess it would take a bit longer to make it really work!
The reason i made this: it can help newbies!
the present display looks a bit pre-historic
look at epsxe, even them have a great 'image' in the main menu
the same reason people make skins to winamp, windows...etc
in the present look you cant choose between the essential display like frames and savestate position and the other settings.
Here's a little readme for the screenshot:
blue --> on
grey --> off
yellow --> autodetect
green --> same as * in the actual plugin
red --> actual selection
number --> the savestate position

the menu has 3 stages of display
1.nothing visible
2.just the top part of the menu (the frames and savestate)
3.full display (as you see in the screenshot)

the keys would be the same of the current version.
i don't know much of programming, ( just the basics ) but i guess that it would have much impact in the emu performance, and i can predict that the plugin would be a few kbs bigger.

well, all ask is your opinion, all i hope to get from this is a productive discussion, and maybe a breakthrough in emulation... we all are in the same boat right?!
if you really want to know my e-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
And I was just about to edit your post like mad after I saw the title. ;)

I like the graphical readout, but wouldn't that require more resources than the current text display?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reading before deleting...
I am not sure if it would affect the emulator speed, however my main concern is if it is possible to 'make it happen', although some users have low computer specs (looks like having the computer specs in the signature is 'cool'for the time being) most of the emu users have t-bird and pIII and geforces.. and so on, this change may not be so bad if you take in mind that most games run at 3x or 2x the actual speed in those computers. besides it is an question i ask to the programming people that come here every day!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
it would affect the speed a bit but not much , but still it's Pete's Barnet decisson what to change on his next realese , heyi like the idea and it looks Cool

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Sure it would be possible... there are some things to consider, though...

1. Currently I use a very small texture for the gpu menu... your menu would need
much more space... texture space which could be used for game textures
instead. And on cards with 16 MByte or less every little space is needed badly for
the game textures.

2. Your menu needs a lotta display area. I usually let the current fps/menu
display enabled during my tests, to check speed drops... and such a big display
would be very annoying. You don't want me to miss some important glitches
in the upper left corner, don't you? ;)

btw... who is Pete Barnet? and why can he make decisions about the gpus? :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I agree that the gpu menu could be a little more user/newbie friendly, but I wouldn't really want to sacrifice more screen area for it. If there were a reasonable comprimise it would be great. I'm not gonna hold my breath though.
BTW, thanx for the great plugs, Pete.

Adair

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for replying PETE BERNERT! :)
as for the texture menu, i agree it would need more memory, but as for the space it would need, if you read closer my 1st post you will notice 3 stages of display:
1. nothing visible
2. just the menu and savestate position,
3. as seen in the screenshot
so you only have that space of the screen use if one wanted.
by the way, did you notest the full vram primitives in ' autodetect', is that possible, cos that would come pretty handy.
BTW Don´t take my post as someone that is complaining, i am only trying to buid up some constructive ideas.
and if i by any chance gave you the idea that i am not happy for your plugins, here goes what is in my mind:
Thank you, oh one of great wisdom, my spirit is happy for you presence in this world!!!
Thank you,thank you, thank you, thank you, thank for your plugins ! We all , emu users, shoul bow to your presence....
THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Hehe, I've noticed you were not complaining... it was a nice constructive post...
and no problem, usually I can also handle complains, I've seen a few in the last
years ;)

Concerning the menu: well, I don't think that the word 'Framebuffer textures'
instead 'FB' (and so on) will help anyone... if someone doesn't know
what's behind the term, it doesn't matter if he sees a short or a long name...

and by the time he knows what the option is about, he is no newbie anymore, and
can live with the short ones :)

I think my current menu is a good compromise between space and handling,
no great necessity to change it.
well, maybe on a day when I feel very bored I will enhance it... who can say
what the future will bring? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts