Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Iam tired of getting my HDD destoryed and looing alot of files..., so Iam Buying a new HDD, my Seagate 200 GB barracuda just stoped work now.....
dont know why, i have big fan in front of my HDDs also I have air filter to keep it clean... :(

So what Iam looking for is not fast or a spesial thing, only one thing STABLE AS HELL, one that can hold for at least 2 years.....

my other Other HDD is Samsung Spinpoint 160GB(Sata2, NCQ), it Nice, Silent but i just had it for 2 mounths so I cant say anything about that...

So what do u recommend:

*Maxtor Diamond
*Western Digital Caviar
*Hitachi Deskstar
*Fujitsu Siemens
*Seagate Barracuda(i dont think so)
*Samsung Spinpoint(hmmm maby)

How is Hitachi Deskstar ? has anyone tryed it?....

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I dunno if I'm wring, but Maxtor drives are quite good IMO... I had a problem with my 80gb one though, but it was fixed when I flashed my BIOS. Stable, fast and silent ;)

·
band
5,270 Posts
i second chankastrules. most ppl will say that theres no diff btwn brands except for that one exception : fujitsu.

i personally wud go with maxtor : never had a problem with them (currently one 60gig in my ps2 that ive had for 3-4 years, and the one im using now is a 160 gig ... its been here for around a year or so i suppose). then again my dad's comp is using western digital and its quite good (no problems either)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Killjoy said:
I dunno if I'm wring, but Maxtor drives are quite good IMO... I had a problem with my 80gb one though, but it was fixed when I flashed my BIOS. Stable, fast and silent ;)
hmm Maxtor?, Isnt they are hot and Makes much noise(well my brother keeps say not to get maxtor).....maby these day they are stable and good, coz my bro tryed some maxtor hdd for maby over 5 years ago...things can change,

Well I have these in mind,

WD caviar
Samsung SpinPoint
Hitachi Deskstar
Maxtor

What do u thing the most most Stable and the ones with longest life?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Dunno, my old WD died, my Samsung ones work correctly but a bit noisy (though I admit they're a bit old too). My maxtor is very silent and works very fine.
It's my own experience, but if it's not the best brand, it's still a good one

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr. Killjoy said:
Dunno, my old WD died, my Samsung ones work correctly but a bit noisy (though I admit they're a bit old too). My maxtor is very silent and works very fine.
It's my own experience, but if it's not the best brand, it's still a good one
thanks for the recommendation :)

again, Has anyone tryed Hitachi Deskstar?, I Like to try new things if they are good.... :dance:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Maxtor is all I use and will ever buy. It's the only thing that's stayed consistent in my upgrades. I have never had one fail on me yet and I've been using them for almost 11 years now. I have 3 in my main system, a 250 gig and 2 40 gigs. And 3 others in my other systems, 2 20 gigs and a 6 gig. Never had any problems with them. The only other brand that I mildly use is WD. It's a 3 gig manufactured in '98, it clicks under pressure but did fine in a scandisk last year. As far as sound, the 250 gig is the most quiet drive I've ever had.

Aside from those, I've only used Seagate once, and that was back in '94 or '95, it was one of those huge brick things.

What do you do to yours that kills them?

Edit: If I remember correctly Deskstars used to be called Deathstars. I'm not sure if it was just the 75GXP that had problems but there was a class action settlement on those. And people still call them Deathstars...

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
My 40gig Maxtor still rocking solid here.
And i had to replace once my 80 gig Samsung. Lucky me it was under warranty, but took me a month to get the new one...

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
You tend to loose faith in a HD manufacturer after one of your HD stops working without any notice, even when SMART said it was fine ;) (for me, this is Western Digital)

Had a Maxtor Diamond 200GB for a few months now....like it so far....very quiet. Also Maxtor drives have alot of good sales in the newspaper (got mine on sale for 80 bucks at officemax)

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
My old 20 gig Quantum fireball did alerted me on time for smart error, after a week it stopped working, just gave me time to backup my stuff.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Maxtor - DEFINATELY Maxtor. Have an 80 gig Maxtor in my xbox, been running stable and COOLER than the stock HD. I have a Maxtor Hard Drive and so does my dad, just don't buy one at Staples they overprice them like mad.

Yeah, I would definately go with Maxtor. Good quality.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Looks like everyone likes Maxtor ^^
I think it's safe to buy one ;)

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Hey I have a Maxtor 256mb HD in my Linux file server that STILL works solid. My dad had it in the Windows 3.1 days. They are definately the best!

·
Premium Member
8,394 Posts
I have a 120GB WD and a 160GB WD and both have been running fine for quite a time now. No problem whatsoever. My 120GB one is constantly being moved and is formatted alot and its still rock solid. Only thing is they appear to be a bit loud... (i cant really compare with anything else since both are Western Digitals)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
>> Hey I have a Maxtor 256mb HD
MB? quite small ^^

BTW, it's me or drives bigger than 120gb have problems on some machines?
Someone lent me a 200gb drive to make him a clean install of windows XP,
and each time it's ran without SP2, the last 80gb disappear... I was forced to split the drive in 2 100gb partitions.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Mr. Killjoy said:
and each time it's ran without SP2, the last 80gb disappear... I was forced to split the drive in 2 100gb partitions.
There is a limit on Windows XP that the installer only supports up to a 137GB partition...Maxtor provides a MaxBlast bootable CD, and you have to use that instead of the XP installer's partition manager.

Hadn't had that problem with my Gentoo system yet :rolleyes:

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Mr. Killjoy said:
>> Hey I have a Maxtor 256mb HD
MB? quite small ^^

Yeah, its really 256mb!

*goes and reads the rest of the "fake" Halo 3 script*

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
DO NOT BUY MAXTOR!!!

Seriously, every last Maxtor I've owned has died, and died fast. Minus one 20 giger that lasted a while.

I've had good luck with Seagate, but really any manufacturer will have its problems, I just here more about Maxtor than anything else.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.