Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this is gonna sound weird, but if we could somehow get the best of both plugins that would be cool :eyemove:!

Because they each have their strengths and weaknesses. You get pretty different visuals when using either.

Well this was just a crazy idea I had, thought I'd get the Dolphins community input.:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
DirectX 9 is made by microsoft and opengl is made by another company and you can really merge them because they render completly diffrent and the graphics are diffrent. Opengl can look amazing so can DX9 but there is no way of merging them.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
OpenGL is made by many companies, but the core opengl standard is set by Khronos Group.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do we care who made what anyway ?

I think the point is using the best of both plugin, for exemple, dstalpha is broken in the OpenGL plugin (see Mario's water) but it's not in the DirectX9 one.
Also, as OpenGL plugin is using Cg to create its shaders, don't know if it's like that already, but why not use it with DirectX 9 plugin too while improving what's not good ?

He probably meant stuff like that... btw, that's some ideas, i'm not asking anything there ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
opengl and directx are two different video modes. thus u can't merge them... they use different system files. different coding, everything is done coded, and designed in a total different way from each other. u cant just merge codes and files form different systems. well u can, but i can guarantee it wont work ;)

bsides, things like these also happened way back in old n64 emulators and such =P like in project64

if there was a way, i think they have done it already. its not like u just came up with the magical solution ;)

Wolf :p

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wow, greatest idea ever. But seriously, no, it can't be done the way you put it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, this is gonna sound even weirder. But what about double rendering running the two plugins together lol :D?

(note: I am serious ;))

·
Code it the hard way :P
1,267 Posts
I think the best you can hope for is having a 'by game' option of which plug-in to run.
No way we will do that, just wait till the video plugins are improved/bug fixed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
More impossible, than weird. The concept itself makes sense; take the best from both plugins, but you didn't know that OGL and DX are two different API's.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Making a third plugin that combines both OpenGL and DirectX into one package.. well, if you do that more complicated problems will surface and will make the matter worst because DirectX and OpenGL still have a lot of work to be done ;)

·
1,267 Posts
Wouldn't it be illegal anyways to do that because you are not allowed to modify MS's DirectX code and redist it? Read the EULA.txt file that comes with the SDK.

I still not sure what the exact idea is...merging the APIs into one API or the code in both dolphin video plugins?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Actually, Dolphin SHOULD go per app for its plugins and settings, saving having to change settings all the time for different games.

Project64 1.7 has already gone in that direction.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ok, I know this is gonna sound weird, but if we could somehow get the best of both plugins that would be cool :eyemove:!
Wouldn't it be illegal anyways to do that because you are not allowed to modify MS's DirectX code and redist it? Read the EULA.txt file that comes with the SDK.

I still not sure what the exact idea is...merging the APIs into one API or the code in both dolphin video plugins?
but... it's not about mergin APIs at all :???:

·
1,267 Posts
ok, his idea wanted to combine plugins.

You cannot put code to use OpenGL and D3D together to make a single render, each API has its own way of coding, you would use a lot of blackmagic and a lot of converting types between the two APIs. It is not even worth it.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Indeed, though you can put it in the same plugin, it just makes it more difficult to debug the plugin in the long run though

·
1,267 Posts
Indeed, though you can put it in the same plugin, it just makes it more difficult to debug the plugin in the long run though
You can, but not use both of them to make a render.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Besides you need to hack through Microsofts code to see how things are done behind the screen. Whitch is not possible anyway cos it's not opensource or anything. If eventually you manage to pull this off Microsoft will sue your ass into pieces and you are not gonna like it :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts