Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought it was time for some fun science (well, for some science about fun, check it here ).

I don't know whether anyone here ever heard about the Ig Nobel Prize. It's the funny counterpart of the Nobel prize. The award is given to people who, though some research or discovery, made people laugh (please not that it's still about real science, and not pseudoscientific crap). The list of all winners can be found here .

This year winners' were quite excentric. I'll post only a few:

MEDICINE
Steven Stack of Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA and James Gundlach of Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, USA, for their published report "The Effect of Country Music on Suicide."

PHYSICS
Ramesh Balasubramaniam of the University of Ottawa, and Michael Turvey of the University of Connecticut and Haskins Laboratory, for exploring and explaining the dynamics of hula-hooping.

PUBLIC HEALTH
Jillian Clarke of the Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences, and then Howard University, for investigating the scientific validity of the Five-Second Rule about whether it's safe to eat food that's been dropped on the floor.

PSYCHOLOGY
Daniel Simons of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Christopher Chabris of Harvard University, for demonstrating that when people pay close attention to something, it's all too easy to overlook anything else -- even a man in a gorilla suit.

And I loved this one:

ECONOMICS
The Vatican, for outsourcing prayers to India. :lol:

Science is not only about seriousness, you know :p

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
You left out my favorite :p.

CHEMISTRY
The Coca-Cola Company of Great Britain, for using advanced technology to convert the liquid from the River Thames into Dasani, a transparent form of water, which for precautionary reasons has been made unavailable to consumers.

What it doesn't say is that the reason it was removed was 'cos they found it caused cancer Oo.

They should also have won for marketing:p.

Ironically, when I visited the US recently, that rubbish was practically the only form of bottled water available. I can't believe it's still legal over there.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Woah... I didn't know this thing existed... pretty funny stufff i must say :p...

PEACE
Daisuke Inoue of Hyogo, Japan, for inventing karaoke, thereby providing an entirely new way for people to learn to tolerate each other
:lol:

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Betamax said:
You left out my favorite :p.

CHEMISTRY
The Coca-Cola Company of Great Britain, for using advanced technology to convert the liquid from the River Thames into Dasani, a transparent form of water, which for precautionary reasons has been made unavailable to consumers.

What it doesn't say is that the reason it was removed was 'cos they found it caused cancer Oo.

They should also have won for marketing:p.

Ironically, when I visited the US recently, that rubbish was practically the only form of bottled water available. I can't believe it's still legal over there.
I didn't know the part about the cancer (to be honest, I'd never heard about this Dasani stuff).
And it's very weird that the US allows it to be sold over there. I think that Coca-Cola has more strength there :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts