Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im going to buy a computer, ... lets suppose i want it for playing
ps2 games, which one would you recommend me (average cheap-performance)?

is it true that there is no difference por ps2games, between a x4 Cpu, and a x2Cpu ?
is it true that a super Gpu (nvidia gtx 285) and a geforce 9400gt, wont make much diference for ps2 games?

thankx in advance

· Banned
35,081 Posts
or get a i7 920 and overclock it to the stock 965 clocks.

· From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
or get a i7 920 and overclock it to the stock 965 clocks.
If this is for PCSX2 only we're talking about, that's a very bad idea. Not that it'd perform terribly, but a Core 2 system would perform just as well (better in this case actually, if overclocked higher than the stock Core i7 965), for much less money.

Core 2 Duo [email protected]+/1GB+ of RAM/GeForce 9600GT or higher (make sure it's nVidia if paired with a dual core for PCSX2) is the best price for performance for PCSX2. Other stuff performs better, yeah, but not by much, and costs much more.

Of course, we're scarce on Core i7 results for PCSX2. The only thing I saw showed it trading blows with a Core 2 Duo (where the Core i7 was faster in menus, and the Core 2 was mostly faster where it mattered). Still, telling someone to get a Core i7 920 and overclock it "only" to Core i7 965 speeds, when it'll need DDR3 RAM and an X58 motherboard, when you can get a 4GHz Core 2 that perform better and for cheaper, well, if it's for PCSX2 only, that's bad advice.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
That comparison was based on an older version, its been fixed since according to Trigun. the i7 has nearly twice as fast cache ops, which matters to pcsx2's performance.

Infact, the i7 with HT disabled is pulling 60FPS in GSDX software mode.

· Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Depending on the game and what resolution you want to play at you might want a more powerful card then a 9600gt.

FF12 (at times) and Grand Turismo 4 can be particularily gpu intensive and a 9600gt wouldn't be able to handle them at 1680x1050 or 1920x1080.

Since you probably will be playing pc games as well, i wouldn't go for the lower end of the gaming videocard spectrum. Spend the extra $50.

That comparison was based on an older version, its been fixed since according to Trigun. the i7 has nearly twice as fast cache ops, which matters to pcsx2's performance.

Infact, the i7 with HT disabled is pulling 60FPS in GSDX software mode.
Indeed using 6 threads for gsdx in native res software mode people have been now experiencing the ability to run games many games such as (iirc) metal gear solid 3 perfectly at full speed.

· From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Yeah, let's see some benchmarks across a wide variety of plug-ins, setting, and games, at the same clock speed. I'm interested in the potential myself, but until we see results, nothing's a given, and the one we have seen showed them trading blows (Core i7 was faster in menus, and Core 2 was faster in-game). They were at the same clock speed, but something runawayprisoner once mentioned about them automatically overclocking under load could mean the results would be skewed, since the Core i7 would really be running at a faster clock speed. If possible, that feature would need to be disabled for accurate comparisons.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Yeah, let's see some benchmarks across a wide variety of plug-ins, setting, and games, at the same clock speed. I'm interested in the potential myself, but until we see results, nothing's a given, and the one we have seen showed them trading blows (Core i7 was faster in menus, and Core 2 was faster in-game). They were at the same clock speed, but something runawayprisoner once mentioned about them automatically overclocking under load could mean the results would be skewed, since the Core i7 would really be running at a faster clock speed. If possible, that feature would need to be disabled for accurate comparisons.
disable Turbo and Onecore

· Registered
24 Posts
I am really interested in all the information that has been shared in this thread.

However, I would love to see some benchmarks...
Pick a few core games that show up on the message board constantly - like FFX. The hard part would be testing the same scene from each game across multiple PCs with the SAME settings.

Is it against the rules to post Saved States? If not, using saved states would at least ensure the same scene is being used.

Dig

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.