Next Generation Emulation banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Last night I made the decision to give the Keto lifestyle a good shot.

Last week I had a few extra carbohydrates during in the morning (english muffin) instead of my regular breakfast 3x during the week and right on cue I ended up with some very painful inflammation in my cystic acne. Something I'm desperate to cure as I can no longer tolerate the pain and mess it causes.

While I've had success in lowering my insulin it clearly isn't enough. Looking at my sugar intake it is still too high for what I need, with some minor adjustments to intake I can really get the sugars down which only leaves the carbohydrates to take care of.

Keto is interesting in it's theory and practical application, while getting take out food will prove to be very difficult to manage, I'm sure that the benefits of an extremely low carb diet combined with the gradual introduction of more fats (coconut oil mainly) will give my body the final kick it needs to get everything into proper gear.

It's a bit daunting at first, but dinner and breakfast has been pretty good so far.

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,086 Posts
^
Are you sure you need to follow a specific diet ? I mean, just eating what you have the habit to eat, lowering the "wrong" fat should be enough ?

Well, I was looking for a good cardio routine the last day. I'm currently training to learn two calisthenics "power moves" ( the one-arm pushup and the muscle-up ) and I guess I need to ( seriously ) lose some fat first as it will more than surely help me for my body-weight trainings. Here it is:

If you need a good stopwatch application for this kind of time based workouts, "Tabata Timer" is really nice. I was able to do the first three sets correctly but for the last two ones, I struggled to stand the 45 seconds for each exercise. Damn, 45 seconds can be long, when you think about it ^_^.

Also, I'm currently able to do 7 chin-ups in a row and 7 pull-ups in a row, even if I struggle with this last move. It's damn getting me on my nerves. I would never had thought that pull-ups was harder to do than chin-ups.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,272 Posts
Back to crossfit today after two months of break due to a shoulder injury, during which I only did a few 5k runs. A bit sore, but not too bad, I thought it would be worse actually. I changed the gym as well as I didn't feel couching was up to par in my previous one and that I was getting the value for my money. I am hoping I'll be back on track soon and get the progression going as it should be.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
I personally haven't done it but from what I've seen if you got a good team and trainer to guide you things will work out.

The same as the Gym if you go to lift weights without proper posture you could get injured easily.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,272 Posts
I personally haven't done it but from what I've seen if you got a good team and trainer to guide you things will work out.

The same as the Gym if you go to lift weights without proper posture you could get injured easily.
Yeah, it's what Silenius says - you can injure yourself anywhere without proper training and a lot depends on your coach too. My opinion is, that is it very good for you if properly supervised by a good coach (who's interested in more than taking your money that is). If you start doing moves that your body is not ready for, you'll get injured, that's out of question. Crossfit gave me a lot of confidence, I built some muscles, got some moves I couldn't do before and it keeps me interested, which I cannot say about the gym.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
And tell him about the ladies Hyuga, tell him about the ladies... :D

More confidence = more attractiveness.

·
4,086 Posts
Yeah, it's what Silenius says - you can injure yourself anywhere without proper training and a lot depends on your coach too. My opinion is, that is it very good for you if properly supervised by a good coach (who's interested in more than taking your money that is). If you start doing moves that your body is not ready for, you'll get injured, that's out of question. Crossfit gave me a lot of confidence, I built some muscles, got some moves I couldn't do before and it keeps me interested, which I cannot say about the gym.
Well, I can understand, but when you see that:

or this:

You really have a strong tendency to question Crossfit. From what I've seen, you are privileging speed instead of form in Crossfit. MOST of the time, if not ALL the time. And I really tend to think it's NOT a good thing at all.

·
Aim 4 the stars...
568 Posts
I can now run a mile in 11:00 minutes.

Is this atleast "okay"?
(Just saying: I do watch food intake. Also, I do proper weights, core related exercises etc)

·
Classic Games Lover
5,272 Posts
Well, I can understand, but when you see that:

or this:

You really have a strong tendency to question Crossfit. From what I've seen, you are privileging speed instead of form in Crossfit. MOST of the time, if not ALL the time. And I really tend to think it's NOT a good thing at all.
When you see those, without understanding or experiencing actual crossfit, yeah. Lots of vids are misleading though, crossfit is mean to make your body strong, but it's a long process, injuries will happen along the way (like in any sport btw). Getting ripped palms when you do kipping pull ups / toes to bar? Why not use proper protection for it? Good leather grips will save you a lot of pain, gymnasts use it all the time. Not telling you to do crossfit, mind that you can do normal gym as well but for me crossfit is the best thing that happened and my body has never been this strong in my life. You choose your path and as long as you're happy with it, stick with it ;)

As for emphasizing the speed instead of form, I dunno what box does that, but in the one where I go to, the form, the technique comes first and foremost. You cannot lift without a proper technique or you'll get yourself injured really fast. Speed with come, but Kevin (my coach) is very, very adamant about the form. For example the pull ups you've got in the first video - these are chest to bar kipping pull ups, which are quite advanced. Very strenuous on the shoulders and arms, if they're weak an injury is just a matter of time. Kevin wouldn't let you do any kipping moves before the base is built in the first place and your upper body is strong enough to take it. You do strict movements until then, which is a very good way to build the strength and not risk injury. Sadly, not all coaches have this approach.

I can now run a mile in 11:00 minutes.

Is this atleast "okay"?
(Just saying: I do watch food intake. Also, I do proper weights, core related exercises etc)
That's quite ok, were you able to do it a year ago? Mine's in sub 8 mins and I can run 5k under 30 mins too. If you keep it up you can only get better and better, building the aerobic base takes some time ;)

·
4,086 Posts
When you see those, without understanding or experiencing actual crossfit, yeah. Lots of vids are misleading though, crossfit is mean to make your body strong, but it's a long process, injuries will happen along the way (like in any sport btw). Getting ripped palms when you do kipping pull ups / toes to bar? Why not use proper protection for it? Good leather grips will save you a lot of pain, gymnasts use it all the time. Not telling you to do crossfit, mind that you can do normal gym as well but for me crossfit is the best thing that happened and my body has never been this strong in my life. You choose your path and as long as you're happy with it, stick with it ;)

As for emphasizing the speed instead of form, I dunno what box does that, but in the one where I go to, the form, the technique comes first and foremost. You cannot lift without a proper technique or you'll get yourself injured really fast. Speed with come, but Kevin (my coach) is very, very adamant about the form. For example the pull ups you've got in the first video - these are chest to bar kipping pull ups, which are quite advanced. Very strenuous on the shoulders and arms, if they're weak an injury is just a matter of time. Kevin wouldn't let you do any kipping moves before the base is built in the first place and your upper body is strong enough to take it. You do strict movements until then, which is a very good way to build the strength and not risk injury. Sadly, not all coaches have this approach.
Blisters/Ripped palms are a natural process when you are doing pulls ups/chin ups/exercises on the bar. Your palms will "adapt" with the time. No protection needed, really ( I have blisters myself and it is not painful anymore and I see guys doing far more advanced grip moves - handstand push ups on dip bars for example - having them and not using protections ). However, ripped palms like the guy is showing at the end of his "hundred pullups" ( the commenter of the video is right, he did ZERO pull ups ) is NOT normal, with protections or without. And you are talking about gymnasts, but those guys are doing EXTREME proper form when they are training ( and for some moves, they need chalk, of course ).

I don't know if letting people kipping is a good thing either, them being weak or having the strength. Of course, kipping can be used for a start when the move to achieve require a certain amount of strength ( like for muscle ups and you slowly decrease the kipping the more you get the strength to do the move correctly ). However, kipping for a "basic" move like pull ups ? Color me skeptical. What about the joints ? your spine ? the tendons ? And are you sure you are developing the muscles to their maximum potential ?

I'm not discouraging you to stop crossfit. It's your choice and you seem to really enjoy it. However, you should, IMO, think long term. There are also long term injuries that do not seem to be there and/or are painful when you are young and training.

Edit: Just to emphasize my point about "kipping vs proper form":

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I can't recall if it was in this thread, or somewhere else but I remember Snicko talking awhile back about the health benefits of taking cold showers. I wanted to try it at the time, but due to the plumbing pipes in my house being undersized I couldn't really get enough water pressure with just the cold on to really do it. Well, since then I've ripped out and upgraded all the water lines, and now I'm finally able to try it.

I've been doing it for about a week now. The first few days of it were kind of miserable. I couldn't even get myself to start at full-cold, rather starting luke warm and slowly moving it towards cold. After a few days I no longer have any trouble just starting with it at cold. Yeah, there is a little shock value but my body seems to adjust better now.

As far as the supposed health benefits go, I can't really say. I can say however, it is better than any cup of coffee or energy drink at waking your ass up. I don't sleep as well as I probably should, so when I get up in the morning I'm usually groggy for an hour or more. Well, when I jump into a 50F/10C shower, I'm awake....immediately. Pretty awesome.

Now, perhaps the most important question - what does it do to your sex drive? There is the old joke about taking a cold shower to quell sexual urges. Luckily thus far, it seems to have no effect in that department. Of course, cold water does cause some shrinkage - but fortunately that's only temporary. :p

Also yes I'm aware I just drug this thread back from the dead.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I can't recall if it was in this thread, or somewhere else but I remember Snicko talking awhile back about the health benefits of taking cold showers. I wanted to try it at the time, but due to the plumbing pipes in my house being undersized I couldn't really get enough water pressure with just the cold on to really do it. Well, since then I've ripped out and upgraded all the water lines, and now I'm finally able to try it.

I've been doing it for about a week now. The first few days of it were kind of miserable. I couldn't even get myself to start at full-cold, rather starting luke warm and slowly moving it towards cold. After a few days I no longer have any trouble just starting with it at cold. Yeah, there is a little shock value but my body seems to adjust better now.

As far as the supposed health benefits go, I can't really say. I can say however, it is better than any cup of coffee or energy drink at waking your ass up. I don't sleep as well as I probably should, so when I get up in the morning I'm usually groggy for an hour or more. Well, when I jump into a 50F/10C shower, I'm awake....immediately. Pretty awesome.

Now, perhaps the most important question - what does it do to your sex drive? There is the old joke about taking a cold shower to quell sexual urges. Luckily thus far, it seems to have no effect in that department. Of course, cold water does cause some shrinkage - but fortunately that's only temporary. :p

Also yes I'm aware I just drug this thread back from the dead.
Hell yeah cold showers own.

Your balls will be fine, they're pretty good at moving around to keep optimum temperature and if anything, the stimulation to your system will probably lead to better overall health of those swanging nuts over the course of the day.

But yeah, a good old cold shower is as good as a cup of coffee, and after the adjustment period it can be pretty awesome. Warm showers feel a bit odd going back to them after a while.

I really want to try the northern ritual of jumping between a freezing cold water and a sauna/hot spring situation. It's not good right after exercise, but as a recovery tool after muscles have settled down a bit it's supposed to be awesome.....well aside from everything going numb. One of my fav fitness guys Juji did a session with Thor and it looks like a great challenge.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,272 Posts
Reading my posts above and sitting here now with tendonitis and approx. 30lbs more makes me sad...

·
4,086 Posts
^
You still can do some cardio, can't you, @Khelben ?

OK...So, as I lost 9 lbs ( approx 4kgs ) I decided to go start weighted training. I bought a 25lbs vest ( approx 10 kgs ) and I decided to do a "pull/push" session today. I was rather surprised. I lost HALF of my reps with the vest. Normally, I do 6 pullups, 1mn rest, then 6 pullups again. I was only able to do 3 pullups by set and it was really difficult. I was able to do a full set of dips ( 3 regular dips, 1 elbow dip, twice in a set ) but I was only able to do half for the second set.

I didn't imagine it would have so much impact on my training. Well, on the next weeks, I will try to get back my regular number of reps with the vest. I decided that I will wear it for every session even for the legs day. Will see if it actually help me raising my reps without the vest...

·
Classic Games Lover
5,272 Posts
Well it can help. What do you think is good in the long run ?
Cardio is... good to start with to lose weight surely, given proper diet you see the results fast. Problem is, after some time your body adopts to the calorie deficiency and you need to eat even fewer kcal than before, otherwise your weight will just stop dropping or even you can start gaining weight. It's a bit of a vicious circle there. Aerobic exercises are basically best to build your stamina and keep the energy levels high. For long term weight loss I would recommend anything non-aerobic, weights, intervals, etc. That keeps burning fat no matter what. Given I can barely hold my phone at my ear for 30 sec. now those exercises I cannot do.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts