Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
!
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading this article about the greatest stories in VGs, I was wondering why that guy who made that article didn't mention Fahrenheit game???

Anyways, what are your favorite stories in video games?

My list:
MGS series
Silent Hill 4
Fahrenheit
Tomb Raider 2

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
^lol

Seriously, though, I never played it, so I wouldn't know. But I'll be damned if that's seriously the best you can think of, Koko.

How about something more like Warcraft 3? Final Fantasy VI had quite the good story too. Terranigma deserves a mention for the unexpectedness of the plot. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I quite liked the story of Tales of Phantasia. It was simple, but it shows us how one-sided we can be in respect to a story. The ending of the game was just perfect.

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
I felt that Legend of Dragoon had a better backstory than the actual story that was presented in the game. I was much more interested in the Wingly war (I think that's what it was called) and old Dragoons than Dart & company.

Anyway, my list in no particular order

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Um... have any of you ever played a visual novel game? Yeah... :p

If anything, I'd think we should "redefine" what types of games are directly involved here because seriously... if you're looking for a story then even some hentai games probably have better stories than the recent FF games IMHO... (FFX and FFXII come to my mind)

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
ff7
xenogears
fftactics (psx)
Resident evil series

I will add more later when i think of them :p

·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts

If anything, I'd think we should "redefine" what types of games are directly involved here because seriously... if you're looking for a story then even some hentai games probably have better stories than the recent FF games IMHO... (FFX and FFXII come to my mind)
I have. But they were hentai and i never really bothered to read anyhing on screen.

*click click click click click* :emb:

I might have played a game with the best story ever written in this decade and dont know it yet cus i was too focused on tits.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts

^Visual Novels imo are totally different from games... they have no gameplay not so ever, (except some rare few like Utawarerumono and tears to tiara there was another one i forgot its name) there exactly like the name implies visual novels the only involvement you have in them is that you make a choice every now and then witch changes the story (example in a hentai novel cause of choice B you don't get to fu... girl A but instead will have to do with girl B (well its not actually fu... its more like hear the moaning)).

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
Different genre, but technically they're games. Some also go a bit further than just having a menu with choices (that would be a pretty dumbed down description).
For example, Snatcher and Policenauts have mini-games in them, most obvious is the shooting in them.

·
!
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Tomb Raider 2 had a story?
Yes. Even better than that kiddy game calls itself The Legend Of Zelda :p

Speaking of Zelda, When I was trying to play online play in Super Smash (Just for testing), I found that character from Zelda games..I wasn't know that his name is Link :lol: I thought his name is Zelda, heck.

Please, no more "Cool story bro".
^lol

Seriously, though, I never played it, so I wouldn't know. But I'll be damned if that's seriously the best you can think of, Koko.
Don't get it..why? :???:

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
I have. But they were hentai and i never really bothered to ready anyhing on screen.

*click click click click click* :emb:

I might have played a game with the best story ever written in this decade and dont know it yet cus i was too focused on tits.
If you can excuse the **** parts, which are very out of place sometimes IMHO, then some of them probably should have been made into an RPG for the heck of it.

But that's just... something that I see. :) If I have to mention good stories, I guess I'll start with the Nancy Drew series. Yea, it's just point-and-click and can be very obvious sometimes, but it's just like reading a good novel... and you know how good novels can get. :)

Next is Syberia... both of them. Those who haven't played these games seriously don't know what they're missing...

Next is Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. Yes, I love locked room murders... Even though this one is a bit disturbing because it deals with magical stuffs... and it's not like you get much of a choice in the game so it's more like you're just reading a novel.

Oh... dear, how can I forget? Still Life! Another mystery game.

You should notice a pattern now. :p

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Different genre, but technically they're games. Some also go a bit further than just having a menu with choices (that would be a pretty dumbed down description).
For example, Snatcher and Policenauts have mini-games in them, most obvious is the shooting in them.
^Well like i said there are some exceptions, but the majority all you do is read the wall of text while the bg image changes (don't get me wrong i like Visual Novels though there pretty far away from games (like i said the majority not all of them)).

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
Next is Syberia... both of them. Those who haven't played these games seriously don't know what they're missing...
Yeah, definetly games with a good story. I really enjoyed Snatcher. Syberia, while I liked the story, I thought the puzzles were just too damn hard and most of the times completely illogical. I remember being stuck at a crashed plane part in Syberia 2 for too damn long... *sigh*

Also, Machinarium has a nicely presented story. The game has no dialogue and story is presented through the game itself.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.