Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gekko - GameCube Emulator

Jan 25, 2009
Good Afternoon everyone-
I would just like to inform you all that after about 6 months away from the project that I have decided to dive back into development. Since going to college, I found myself with other priorities and couldn't justify devoting all my time to an emulator like I could in high school. Well... time went on and I eventually realized that it wasn't just an emulator, but that seeing the project evolve really made me happy :) That, and after the countless hours that were put into the project over the past 3 years, I couldn't just let it fall apart after having gotten this far.

So, I'm back. And hopefully, with more than just one person writing code now, the project will show a lot more life.

Regards,
ShizZy

Jan 28, 2009
As we are in the process of preparing the next closed beta release (N'Sider), we have decided it would be best for the project to expand our team to include new programmers. The emulator, although very far along in development, is still at a stage where there are many areas of emulation that have yet to even be touched, and the areas that have been worked on are still very incomplete and lacking features. It is simply a lot of work to keep up with with only two developers.

If you are interested in contributing to the project, please let us know what section of the project you are interested in working on (although you will not be limited by this), and your relevant programming experience. If we feel that you will be an asset to the team, we will then welcome you and provide you will all developer access. :) Any inquiries or questions can be sent to me via forum PM. It's a great opportunity to join a very motivated team (I speak for both the developers, testers, N'Siders, and everyone else part of the project) and a very great community.

In addition, we are looking to enhance the website design. If you have interest in this, and experience, please feel free to contact me as well.

Thank you!
Eric
Excellent to see that these two talented authors are going to be continuing their work with Gekko. Although there are no public builds for anyone to try, having seen what these two have been able to achieve on their own and from scratch is very impressive. Now it seems like they would like to increase their team size and get right into getting this emu cranking along.

·
Registered
228 Posts
im happy about this news here, im glad he decided to start it back up. The dolphin emu is such a good emulator, and with more developers it can be one of the most innvative and advanced emus out there hands down. I hope they get that dvd low read error fixed in due time for we can play SSBM, Super mario Galaxy , TVC , F-ZERO GX, and XG3

GECKO EMU is what im talkin bout, not DOLPHIN , dolphin just advanced the GECKO ORIGINAL SOURCE CODE quite a bit

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
im happy about this news here, im glad he decided to start it back up. The dolphin emu is such a good emulator, and with more developers it can be one of the most innvative and advanced emus out there hands down. I hope they get that dvd low read error fixed in due time for we can play SSBM, Super mario Galaxy , TVC , F-ZERO GX, and XG3
You know this thread is not about Dolphin, don't you?

·
Registered
228 Posts
of course i know but the gecko team was first to create the basis for this emu that went OPEN SOURCE, the gecko team will use some of that open source with there own know how and release there own emu from DOLPHIN sorta like PCsx2 playground and just PCsx2 , two different
groups SORTA SPEAK, but they both will be analyzing each others coding, and greatness will come from both SORTA SPEAK

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
of course i know but the gecko team was first to create the basis for this emu that went OPEN SOURCE, the gecko team will use some of that open source with there own know how and release there own emu from DOLPHIN sorta like PCsx2 playground and just PCsx2 , two different
groups SORTA SPEAK, but they both will be analyzing each others coding, and greatness will come from both SORTA SPEAK
Hey, I'm a coder, you don't have to explain stuff that is obvious to me... And my previous post was because you only wrote about Dolphin.

·
PrismSub7
55 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the most part that is legally impossible, dolphin is gpl2 licensed and gecko isn't exactly open. And the dolphin code was already viewable by the gecko team before it went gpl.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Well, as long as no code is directly copied, it's legal to watch and learn what makes it tick. At least that's what I remember from the Free Software Foundation FAQ about GPL.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, licensees can bypass that enforcement if they want: I mean, dolphin team could give permission to the gekko team to copy certain stuff.

·
Administrator
8,198 Posts
Gekko isn't based on Dolphin.

shash, if you're interested try to catch shiz on #gekko
right now, someone dedicated to the audio would be more than welcomed and i dont think shizzy would mind help on th gx (althgough he's doing a great job on that)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
(...)

shash, if you're interested try to catch shiz on #gekko
right now, someone dedicated to the audio would be more than welcomed and i dont think shizzy would mind help on th gx (althgough he's doing a great job on that)
Well, I'm already busy with my own projects, desmume and jpcsp... I was just curious about what they needed exactly :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts