Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am using Pete's OGL2 2.8 and I have included a picture of my config (below post).

The issue I am having spans across multiple games (I have seen it in Final Fantasy 8 & 9, Chrono Cross and FF Tactics so far). Basically the game slows down dramatically whenever I am in the menu screens (the FPS counter shows from 12 to 30fps) whilst the actual games run smoothly at 59/60fps. I have googled and run a thread search and not found any answer, I have played around with some config options and the issue remains. I can't understand how the actual game runs perfectly, but the menus, of all things, cause the major slowdown.

Can anyone assist me in this matter? All help would be appreciated.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
It sounds like something's choking on framebuffer stuff.

Turn "Framebuffer effects" from 3 to 2. If I remember right from reading something (was it from Pete?), only one instance in one game needs the setting of 3.

You might want to check "Use FPS limit" too. I'm not sure how it's running at 59FPS/60FPS and not faster with that not being checked.

Otherwise, list your PC specifications (CPU, GPU, and RAM). I'm seeing a resolution that's seen on laptops more often than PC monitors. Is this a laptop? If so (well, either way), can your CPU and/or GPU handle that plug-in (the OpenGL 2 plug-in needs a decent GPU) and it's configuration?

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
setting texture filtering to 4 or 0 can sometime improve performance compared to using 6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the responses.

I am indeed using a laptop 1.8ghz dual core, 2 gigs DDR2 ram and the likely culprit being the onboard card Nvidia GeForce 7000m. What throws me off is that it's only the menus that slowdown which consist of little more than some text and static images as opposed to the game itself which runs smoothly, I figured the menus would be considerably less intensive on my gpu and not affect the framerate as they have. I have followed your suggestions and noticed an increase of about 2fps, not much, but perhaps an indication of what's going on.

I tried out Pete's D3D plugins and they work pefectly within both game and menu, i'm not as fond of it as OGL but it's certainly acceptable for playing my old PS games.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
The menus are 2D which makes framebuffer go up beyond your videocard capabilities and yes its a issue only present in Pete's Opengl2 plugin because of its improvement in graphics setting Internal Resolution from high to low will fix the problem (depending on the graphics card setting the resolution to 1024X768 also helps).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.