Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Aim 4 the stars...
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you belive it?
The first PSP trojan has been discovered!

Symantec Corporation, makers of Norton Anti-Virus and other security
products, posted a warning yesterday on their Security Response Center
about a new Trojan designed specifically for the Sony Playstation Portable
(PSP).

The program, named Trojan.PSPBrick, is disguised as an unofficial "mod"
that purports to allow the PSP to play games that are not specifically
sanctioned by Sony. According to Symantec, when the user downloads the
program to the PSP, it deletes critical system files, rendering the unit
inoperable. It must then be sent back to Sony for repair, as these system
files are not available anywhere but from Sony itself.

While Symantec confirmed that there are no known reports of infection from
this trojan, they warn that this may be symptomatic of a trend that may
increase in the future. There have already been several <a
class released for cell phones, and more portable devices may come under attack in the future. According to Symantec, "anything with an OS" is vulnerable, including Microsoft's XBox.

Some may take Symantec's warnings with a grain of salt. The company
primarily makes its income from selling anti-virus and other security
software, so it is always in their best interest to make people more aware
of threats. Last year, the company stopped the practice
of issuing email warnings to people who were suspected of infection, on
charges that such warnings often were issued to the wrong people. Earlier
this year, the company came under criticism for issuing warnings about
future OSX viruses that did not yet exist.

However, it is always safe practice to be very careful when downloading
any kind of "mod" or tool that claims to offer something useful or unlock
certain features, especially if the purpose of said tool seems shady in
nature. Using common sense is always a good idea, regardless of the
platform you are on.

What u need is a virus scanner for ur PSP
"PSafeP is a windows tool to scan Sony PSP executable (EBOOT.PBP) files for suspicious code."
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthrea...&threadid=11920

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Thats what happens on the homebrew/mod scene. For ps2 stuff, I always wait until people reply with their results before I try it on my own console :p

However, its not really a virus. It is more a malicious script as it does not replicate itself.

·
Aim 4 the stars...
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it the beginning of viruses' attack on consoles?

it does seem like it... A virus on a PC is ok. but a PSP? damn it, now thats freaky...

It is more a malicious script as it does not replicate itself
you are right... but it still destroys the PSP. I guess if a PSP gets infected, it becomes useless.

·
band
4,912 Posts
i cant help but ask the question of "why ? ". just wat is the purpose of making such a thing? all it does is destroy stuff. i wud have seen meaning if it stole like...i dunno ...dnas id's (or wutever psp uses in place of cd-keys) or smthn...

·
Registered
302 Posts
There's another for the DS now. Apparantly it attacks firmware, prolly wipes it.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
D.D. said:
i cant help but ask the question of "why ? ". just wat is the purpose of making such a thing? all it does is destroy stuff. i wud have seen meaning if it stole like...i dunno ...dnas id's (or wutever psp uses in place of cd-keys) or smthn...
ummm....Could be made by Sony or someone paid by Sony, to put a stop to the hacks for PSP...It's something no one would ever really know...

·
Banned
576 Posts
dpence said:
ummm....Could be made by Sony or someone paid by Sony, to put a stop to the hacks for PSP...It's something no one would ever really know...
How about the virus scan software company? I always have a theory that there are so many virus out there because the companies who sells virus scan software create the viruses in the first place to scare people into buying their software.

In any case, this is about a trojan not a virus. I don't see anyone storing credit cards numbers on their psp so a trojan is a bit much. Besides it doesn't take a "trojan" to render your psp useless. Just take out the battery while it's being flash and you get the same result.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Interesting theory sims. But it's unlikely we will ever find out about that, unless there's going to be a big scandal. That would be nice :D
Your avatar gives me an headache though :p

Cid fears the day some virus maker will notice the WindowsCE logo on my DC :heh:

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
To the people who claimed the PS2 doesn't have an OS, I guess we can shove this piece of info up your...

;)

sims: Thats similar to all the company's that advertise their adware removers... via adware.

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Vanit said:
To the people who claimed the PS2 doesn't have an OS, I guess we can shove this piece of info up your...
You did notice this is a PSP and not a PS2 trojan, right?:p Anyways, the bios/firmware of the PSP is larger and more complex than that of a PS2, but it's not really an OS, just more options than a standard bios.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.