Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is the next gen emulation site, but does anyone know or can remember what was THE FIRST emulator to come out ever??

Just curious.. :xomunch:

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
depends on the definition of the emulator.

emulators have been there since the computer age began. like old old computers emulating a specif last generation chip.

even if you say emulating consoles, aren't consoles just specialized cumputers?

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
You don't have to be so technical. :p I'm pretty sure he's means a console emulator. Anyways, this is the wrong forum for this. I'm moving this thread.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oooooohhh... oO

No i mean like the first console(or arcade,handheld) emulator on pc. I tried to do some searching but couldnt find anything, it would just be interesting to know what started it all..

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Well IIRC Nesticle was one of the first emulators that hit the big scene. That was one breakthrough in the emu world, at least, that's what I've read once :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ha ha, I found it, this site here has the entire history of emulation!

"The years 1989 -1998 will be forever known to the emuscene as the Golden Age of Emulation. This is due to many events that happened during this decade: the legalization of emulation in the A-Max dispute, the heyday of the Amiga (the best personal computer of its day and the preferred choice for power users, emuhackers, and software pirates alike), the rise of videogame emulation (the most popular and most notorious subgenre of the field), and the rise of the Internet (which would take the emuscene to new heights).

The Golden Age of Emulation is held to have officially began on 1 January 1989. Emulator folklore holds that it was in January 1989 that "the hacked A-Max," the first emulator to require a BIOS dump, began its spread among the software pirates. It is held to have ended on 22 March 1998, the date that the IDSA began is crackdown on unauthorized Internet "ROM" sites in what the emuscene commonly refers to as "the great sweep."

In retrospect, it seems ironic in retrospect that this widely hailed period in emulation history both began and ended on a note of software piracy."

A-Max becomes the first emulator to work with a BIOS dump

this is the site that i got it from here

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Interesting site Zen_master

Sega releases the 128-bit Dreamcast home videogame console, setting a new standard for such products. Curiously enough, there is open talk that Dreamcast emulation is theoretically possible within a year. This is due to the unit's usage of nearly identical hardware and operating system components found in high-end, 3D accellerator-equipped personal computers.
The dreamcast emulated within 1 year? :lol:
It took about 4 and a half year before the first DC emu got to play commercial games in a decent way :)

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Well easily in one year if people were getting paid and didn't have real lives. As for the first site ever, have we even answered that? We answered what emulator but I am interested to know about the site? Was it zophar?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts