Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hardly ever dream. Like.. once every 6 months on average, I think? I don't really miss it, didn't care enough to find out why and never thought about what effect this might have on me. It has recently been brought to my attention however, that I can increase my chances for a dream to occur if I sleep and rest without a worry, without an alarmclock waking me artificially, when laying down longer than the required time for me to get fully rested, and when completely oblivious to day and time. I've had dreams for 5 days in a row now..

But does it have a use? Does it do something worthwhile? I remembered reading once that dreaming (and the absence thereof) supposedly affects your mood, though I don't recall whether it was fiction, fact, or a little of both.

How do you guys feel about dreaming, and if strongly, what effect do you think to notice in your mood, if you haven't had a dream for a while? If you think it does affect you, have you ever thought it might be that your thoughts on the subject are merely self-fulfilling? Do you think dreaming is important to you? Why? To each his/her own, naturally.

Perhaps any of you know more on a scientific basis as well?

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Hmm kinda funny. i had a dream last night i could flare (dance move) and i was practicing today and i could them hella better then before.

Anyways dreams happen at the end of your sleep, thats why when u set the alarm clock, you wake up before you can have a dream.

·
band
4,912 Posts
Anyways dreams happen at the end of your sleep, thats why when u set the alarm clock, you wake up before you can have a dream.
are u sure about this? cuz it makes a lot of sense but i wanna see some backup :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Dreams are healthy part of your mental health. I bet you 100$ you have dreams and u just dont remember them. Most people dont. Dreams for the most part are away for you to express your subcon to your con mind. Kinda like you expressing yourself to another person but the other person is you. Its away to bring subcon feelings ideas to your con mind. You can actually train yourself to remember most of them.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
IIRC you have alot of different dreams during one night but you cant remember the ones that you have when your in the "deep sleep" phase. youll only remember the ones when you wake up.
so yeah if you set an alarm and its very early and your well asleep, it is most likely that you wont remember your dream. (there is no such thing a "no dreams") its simply a case of remembering them.

it happened to me a couple times where i would wake up and fall back to sleep out of lazyness and kinda have somewhat of a control of my dream.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Aside from the subcon-con dialectic during dreams (quite fun when you experience the dream itself... as frequently the case in dreams you can't seem to totally forget), sometimes, they can be sources of inspiration. Sometimes.

Aside from that, I don't see much more use (not that the aforementioned functions aren't important enough already. Psychology tells us that.)

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
The alarm clock thing is a myth in my opinion. It seems a bit too coincidental that your dreams are always interupted before someone wakes you... whether automated or not. Sometimes I fall asleep for literally 10 seconds and wake up again to realise I've had a dream. Seems a bit too farfetched.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And that was dream number 6.

makotech222 said:
yea check out www.howstuffworks.com and it has an article on dreams.
Thanks, I'll check it out. ;)

Vanit said:
The alarm clock thing is a myth in my opinion.
That could be, considering there are 4 different things I apply simultaneously. I had already considered that, but as I said, all of it merely seems to increase the chance for me to dream. Whether one or more is true or not, I have no way to tell definitely.

@ChaosCode & Chrono: Both of you are referring to the dream-like brain activity that lasts usually 2 seconds each, on average. I should have said I no longer refer to them as dreams.

Interesting tidbit here is that 7 years ago, when I was being examined for abnormalities concerning my cerebral cortex and brain activity, a neurologist confirmed to me in her answer to my question on abilities to tell you've had actual dreams, that the amount of actual dreaming is individually different to each, and they were not able to do more than speculate and generalize that everyone has them all the time or not. This is opposed to the dream-like activity you guys refer to, which is said to make part of your brain's self-maintenance and diagnostics when you're asleep.

I'm more interested in what effects actual dreaming in the R.E.M. sleeping-phase might invoke though, or if there's some kind of need for them.

From the website makotech222 posted, dreams in which you end up being in conscious control within your own dream are called lucid dreams. How often do you guys have those? I used to have quite a few of them when I was a kid. Especially when I had repeating dreams, recognizing everything.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I dont really post in offtopic discussions but this one is very interesting, atleast for me.
Dreams and me :

Now the two of us have had an interesting relationship over the past 24 years (well I am almost that old ). I remember when I was a kid I used to have those nightmares about Ghosts, thiefs and Unknown people. Those dreams used to last for few minutes, may be few hours. After that I couldnt recall them.

When I was between the age of 12-17 , I hardly saw any dreams. After that my life went through trembles and I was sort of low on confidence and sort of fighting for my existence. It was at that time my dreams become really different and I got a special power. Thats my belief that whenever any human being is in deep emotional stress, Whether its anger, sadness, love, hatred or others he gets such special powers.

So at that time I saw dreams which made long stories and I mean really long stories. It was like reading novels. The greatest thing about this was that I can recall each and every person in the story by their name, how they look, how they talk and what their character was.
Other thing is that I was able to control those stories. Like when someone woke me up in the middle of the story, I could sleep again and continue the story whether it was after a minute, after an hour or after a day.

I saw many such dreams for 2-3 years, even wrote down few of these stories (hopefully will be publishing them someday). People read them and loved them. I too was surprised about how good they were and how geniune they were (not like copy pasted from something else).

After 2-3 years when I left behind that bad patch in my life and came to normal terms that power suddenly disappeared.

So now you can say that I am back to usual business of a single meaningless dream once in a while. ;)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
I dream alot, and most of the time they are weird as HELL for me. Usually they are random and way out in left field. I enjoy it though, its nice to have them compared to other people who say they never dream (or atleast that they are aware of). It makes me feel alive, and its enjoyable to tell people about your weird ass dream and get a good laugh out of it.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
Lately I havne't been able to remember my dreams. It seems I have a period where I remember then and otheres when I just don't. Then later on the day I'll remember the smallest bit of information in the dream but forget right away. Yet, I still that feeling in the dream. It's kinda of annoying, and cool feeling at the same time. I remember this one girl saying how she had a bad dream about me and felt differnt about me, and I was like "umm sorry...ha" I still have dream I remember as a kid though, some werid stuff.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
well on thing with alarm clocks, it could be that you already have the dream, but you wake up before your subconcious can put the dream into memory. But thats just a theory

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Gaurav said:
From the website makotech222 posted, dreams in which you end up being in conscious control within your own dream are called lucid dreams. How often do you guys have those? I used to have quite a few of them when I was a kid. Especially when I had repeating dreams, recognizing everything.
I thought I was the only one who got lucid dreams :O. Everyone I know in rl thought I was talking bs when I said I could control them. And as I kid I used to have the same dream 2-3 times on occasions.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I haven't remembered any of my dreams in a long time.
And about the mood thing, to me it sounds like if you did the "requirements" (for lack of a better word) to have a dream, you'd probably wake up in a better mood anyway.
And just to go offtopic, my most memorable dream was this one where I was walking outside and some guy with a knife started chasing me. It was kind of like those ones where you fall forever in that it was reoccuring and the chase never ended.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vanit said:
I thought I was the only one who got lucid dreams :O. Everyone I know in rl thought I was talking bs when I said I could control them. And as I kid I used to have the same dream 2-3 times on occasions.
Hmm, other than one specific dream I talk with women about, I've never talked about the contents of my dreams with others in real life.

One more thing about recurring dreams. I've had several dreams iterated, but never as an exact replica. At two of those, certain objects or people were replaced with others at each iteration. With a bunch of other dreams, I witnessed events through a different perspective (as if I was another person), but everything else was exactly the same. One of those dreams that occurred with me viewing things from elsewhere had a tie-in from one of the earliest dreams I can still remember, making it a two dreams being iterated in one.

I wonder how recurring dreams are triggered, and in my case, why things change. Not that I don't have any idea's, but I don't have anything conclusive.

On lucid dreams, other than the recurring ones where I recognized stuff, I've had several unique ones that ended up nightmarish before I got in control. One of those I remember most fondly: I died, but since it was in the process of becoming a lucid dream, I still kept on thinking on how I died, thus I realized I wasn't dead at all and could alter the story I was initially given in my dream.

If a lucid dream gets you to be consciously aware of things, you could very well open up your eyes (as I did most often). So if you're consciously aware of things and in complete control, is having a lucid dream essentially no different from day-dreaming (other than initial parameters not having been chosen)? I think there is a difference, because I don't always control every aspect of a lucid dream.

Ever had a dream that incorporated the sound of your alarm clock as it buzzes, as if it were originating from within the dream? :p

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
I love dreams. Somehow my dreams are always full of beautiful women... some that I know, some that I made up.

I've noticed that if you have something on your mind a lot it'll greatly increase chances to dream about it, at least for me.

If I have a big show-down of a new game... I'll dream about a lot of different outcomes of that..... for the most part the blue screen of death nightmare has finally stopped now though... since I now run Windows XP SP2 on those showdowns... and I have yet to get one, thanx Bill! :)

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
A good article about dreams can be found here: http://www.skepdic.com/dreams.html

I rarely remember my dreams, and I don't miss them. When I do remember they're usually confusing and either about games or socially awkward situations (the disadvanted of being a shy person); superpowers are not an uncommon thing, however. And I never had a lucid dream.

I remember a day when I played Diablo II for 18 hours and I dreamt about it all night :)

BTW, quoting from the article I linked:

"A dream is mental activity (thoughts, images, emotions) occurring during sleep. Most dreams occur in conjunction with rapid eye movements; hence, they are said to occur during REM-sleep, a period typically taking up 20-25% of sleep time. Infants are believed to dream during about 50% of their sleep time. Dreams occurring during non-REM periods are said to occur during NREM-sleep."

"Another curious quality of brain activity during dreaming is that almost all dreams are forgotten. Dream amnesia is the norm. This is not due to anything paranormal or supernatural, but to weak encoding. Memory depends upon encoding the data of experience. Encoding depends upon connections in parts of the brain, which in turn depend upon connections in experience."

"Some researchers cite the lack of prefrontal activity as a sign that the function of sleep is restorative. Sleep gives a rest to the frontal lobes, the most active part of the brain while awake. And, it may well be that lucid dreaming--being aware of dreaming while dreaming--is possible for some people because their frontal lobes don't completely shut down during dreaming."

"One such hypothesis for sleep-related rhythms is that they are the brain's way of disconnecting the cortex from sensory input. When we are asleep, thalamic neurons prevent penetration of sensory information upward to the cortex. This gives the cortex a bit of a rest and explains why people who suffer sleep deprivation suffer a loss of critical thinking abilities and are prone to poor judgment. Another hypothesis is that dreaming plays a role in memory processing, especially with emotional memories. During REM-sleep, the amygdalae, which play a role in the formation and consolidation of memories of emotional experiences, are quite active. A related theory is that dreams are "watchdogs of the psyche" (Baker)."

And when all is said and done, I'm quite fond of the theory that dreams are just ephinomena of unrelated brain process (probably memory consolidation, but not necessarily so). So dreams would be just another evolutionary spandrel and not really necessary for anything else, just like consciousness in a dennetian framework (we materialists are a bunch of killjoys :p ).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.