Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me XP died a long time ago, which was obvious to me when Vista had SP1 and SP2 (Service Packs). For those those that have been living behind the shadows, under a rock, or even inside a cave, well it's time to come out of your shell or closet and see it that there are OSs that are much faster and better than XP.

Windows 7 Gaming Performance Versus XP & Vista - Introduction - DriverHeaven.net

Conclusion? XP was murdered =)

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
I'd believe that test a lot more if they had tested the same games on a not very-high-end system, instead of some of the best available.

Ofc, those that wants the best will get those parts..
But there are a helluva lot more people just playing "for fun", and therefore are less likely to get this kind of system, at least the next few years.

E: The true reason for my post: I knew Windows 7 was going to get good results.
I actually expected XP to score higher than Vista, at least in the DX9 modes.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I don't see the need to buy another "new" OS. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ditto. Especially when the new OS breaks several applications that I use.

Of course most of my gaming is emulation, so I probably have a different perspective than most here.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly, that phrase don't apply to everything, especially on topic like this :doh: Once Microsoft drop the support for it, then it is as good as dead. Remind me of the floppy disk faith :lol:

If your antique, legacy, or ancient applications don't work on Windows 7 then go blame the sorry half-assed coder or programmer.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
So far you still haven't given me any real reason why Vista is better than XP. Yes as far as gaming goes Vista has better performance, but as far as reliability goes, I'll stick with XP. It's sad and highly annoying how so many problems related to gaming and beyond can be traced back to Vista. I've never had so many compatibility problems before out of any OS, even ME! This is one reason I like to keep one machine running XP for those games with Vista problems (KOTOR, Alien versus Predator, Unreal Tournament, and many more).

So it's even little things that make me want to keep XP around for a while. I know most users around here can't relate to this, but even simple things like Xbox Neighbourhood constantly bugging out. And I really get tired of having to find hacks to get certain software to just install, period.

As far as emulation goes, it's been annoying as hell. Working on Cxbx has been a complete nightmare on Vista! Crashes have multiplied exponentially for me. Bugs are completely random and so far only occur on Vista. Sometimes I have to prey that no random crashes happen, and when they do, I have to keep trying to run the emulator over and over again until it goes away.

No one can live in the past forever, but I'll keep XP, thank you very much. Nice try.

blame the sorry half-assed coder or programmer.
That's what we've been doing for years. Those sorry half-assed programmers at Microsoft have been pissing me off ever since they released this piece of [email protected]#% OS known as Vista :mad:

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I've never had so many compatibility problems before out of any OS, even ME! This is one reason I like to keep one machine running XP for those games with Vista problems (KOTOR, Alien versus Predator, Unreal Tournament, and many more).
I think i had more or just as many compatibility problems with the passing from 98 to XP/2000 then with the passing from XP to Vista (actually i might lean towards XP having more cause many of the compatibility problems with vista relate to 16 bit software which let's be serious its so old it can't be really consider a standard for today's OS's.)

But i wouldn't call XP dead yet depending on what you do, it may still be a better choice, its a matter of preference and usability so in other aspects i kind of agree with Blue except for the part in which he says Vista was a nightmare.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Like DX10?

Anyway, yes it's true that Vista and Windows 7 can be faster than Windows XP. IF you strip it and remove the bloatware, there's even users who removed the majority of bloatware in Vista/7 so much it turned the installer size from 2GB to 700MB! And installation size from 8GB to 1.5GB!

This technically means Vista/7 is definitely faster than XP. Except the extra bloatware negates it.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
So far you still haven't given me any real reason why Vista is better than XP. Yes as far as gaming goes Vista has better performance, but as far as reliability goes, I'll stick with XP. It's sad and highly annoying how so many problems related to gaming and beyond can be traced back to Vista. I've never had so many compatibility problems before out of any OS, even ME! This is one reason I like to keep one machine running XP for those games with Vista problems (KOTOR, Alien versus Predator, Unreal Tournament, and many more).

So it's even little things that make me want to keep XP around for a while. I know most users around here can't relate to this, but even simple things like Xbox Neighbourhood constantly bugging out. And I really get tired of having to find hacks to get certain software to just install, period.

As far as emulation goes, it's been annoying as hell. Working on Cxbx has been a complete nightmare on Vista! Crashes have multiplied exponentially for me. Bugs are completely random and so far only occur on Vista. Sometimes I have to prey that no random crashes happen, and when they do, I have to keep trying to run the emulator over and over again until it goes away.

No one can live in the past forever, but I'll keep XP, thank you very much. Nice try.

That's what we've been doing for years. Those sorry half-assed programmers at Microsoft have been pissing me off ever since they released this piece of [email protected]#% OS known as Vista :mad:
He's trying to get you to jump to 7, not Vista.
Also what KOTOR problems? runs fine for me?

·
Perpetual Dualism
451 Posts
xp sp3 running fine here, I just don't see any reason to upgrade.. I'll probably only start thinking about it when SP1/SP2 for Win7 is available and when DX10/11 has really become useful

·
Meow Meow Meow
1,401 Posts
Already posted in the perpetual arts thread, but still like the message of it.

I'm ready for Win7. Except I'm broke, and just quit my job. Crap, anyone sell their unwanted copy when they get tired of it? I'll be a very caring owner, I promise!

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
I really wish tuanming realizes one day that nobody cares that he goes to bed every night clutching a Vista Ultimate disc :rolleyes:

- XP SP3 support is gonna last till 2013
- Name ONE piece of software (either application, game or whatever) that isn't compatible with XP (stuff like DX aside).

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Well, everything using only DirectX10/11 is not compatible. .. .... Yeah folks, that's it. Everything else runs on XP, most of the stuff running on all 3 run better on XP too (or only on XP :p), not to mention the increased memory requirements on newer ones.

I'm fine with Win7, with Vista too, but XP is still better if you're using older HW/SW and you're not willing to spend money upgrading your old PC.

Really, there is nothing more to discuss after this sentence. :p

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I really wish tuanming realizes one day that nobody cares that he goes to bed every night clutching a Vista Ultimate disc :rolleyes:

- XP SP3 support is gonna last till 2013
- Name ONE piece of software (either application, game or whatever) that isn't compatible with XP (stuff like DX aside).
Chess Titans. :p

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.