Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Silly attempt at story-writing starts here:

Last weekend it happened.

I where sitting comfortably in front of my new E8400+GTX260, in my most cheerful mood and happily watching silly youtube clips and wooing ladies through MSN-Messenger, happily unaware of what transpired outside in the sky, neither knowing about the gathering of evil dark clouds nor what mischievous plans they had for me.

I where just commenting on a Ricky Gervais clip that my ex linked when it happened.

I still don't know if it was the sound (which i can only describe as a large booming one) or the quick, millisecond-instant flash, that were first recognized by my shocked senses - but after that sudden turn of events my computer where no longer running and my screens complained about a nonexistant video-signals..

As soon as my mind and body where mine to command again, my first reflex and action was to unplug every power-plug i could find in my apartment (and they were quite a few) and going of to the balcony to see the chaos that ruled the night.

I am now at a loss as to what i have done to enrage Thor, the norse-god of thunder, so much as to see my newly bought computer die that night, but my respect of thunder has increased a lot - perhaps even bordering to paranoia from thereon.

And the actual sensible topic is found here :p:

Now i have at least gathered that my power-supply is dead and done for, so i will try to buy a new one in the end of this month.
What i am wondering is what the chances that nothing else has suffered the same fate (crossing my lizard-tail as hard as i can) Does anyone have any experience or could make some sort of guess with motivation based on knowledge? :)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
a good quality powersupply will take the brunt of the shock in the chance a surge protector fails, using the resettable fuse that most have these days.

are you sure the PSU is completely dead? i would attempt unplugging and discharging the psu by hitting the power button and leaving it for several minutes, then plug it back in and try again.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a Real goddamn "blast".
And i did leave it out of the story to make it even more cumbersome than it already is, but i tried it hours later, to this effect:

1. Re-inserted the original power-plug/cable.
2. Flipped it on
3. Pressed the power-button on the computer
4 -> dead silence.

And now for the interesting part (anyone now why this happened later?):

5. inserted another power-plug/cable, one that was just inserted into one of my monitors that was powered on at that time.
6. gave "power-on" another go:
---------------------------------> Brutal flashes and whirring noise from the powersupply (at which point i backed away!) and then, a small "poof"-sound and black'ish smoke from the back-end of the powersupply.

After that i, even though i have no experience as a diagnosing doctor - counted it very much dead :(..

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Its not dead dude, it just went home.

exactly what was the psu though, anything with a resettable fuse shouldn't just up and fry like that.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not dead dude, it just went home.

exactly what was the psu though, anything with a resettable fuse shouldn't just up and fry like that.
I think i want to curse "sala bostäder" (Sala Appartments) since it seems my power-"thingie's" in the wall isn't grounded..

The psu is a cheap one that came with the "Acer Gears IV"-case.
A "500w" 480w one, that just about handled my rig :)

Next one will prolly' be an 550 or 650w corsair.
I just very much hope that the e8400 and xfx gtx260 are alive, since those are easily the most expensive parts.

And i who thought that i were a good swede and payed enough respect to the "asa-gudarna" (norse-gods), but it seems Thor doesn't want me to play SF-IV (which i where just waiting to get) *imagines a lot of finnish swear-words in my head*

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While a modular one would be nice, it just doesn't motivate a higher price with my tight budget, since i don't mind loose cables and have enough free space for the one card i have in the case. :)

But i will sure be very much more careful about over-amplifying thunderstrikes from here on. Before i always, classically, thought: it won't happen to _me_ - what are the odds.. :p

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what i have believed an ups is primarly and mostly for being able to continue giving power to the computer in case of power-shortage?.

But perhaps it would work as a "safety"-buffer between "the wall" and the psu? :)

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
From what i have believed an ups is primarly and mostly for being able to continue giving power to the computer in case of power-shortage?.

But perhaps it would work as a "safety"-buffer between "the wall" and the psu? :)
A voltage regulating ups is more than just a battery backup, it's a line conditioner.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What does it do when *BANG* lightning get's into the lead with 1000volts - or something of less exaggeration? :)

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Before anything, get a UPS with a surge protector. It's a small, but wise investment. I think you can pull of a second-hand APC one for just $50 or so.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Before anything, get a UPS with a surge protector. It's a small, but wise investment. I think you can pull of a second-hand APC one for just $50 or so.
A $50 UPS won't have voltage regulation, and won't be any better than a power bar in terms of protection.
If you want real protection, it'll cost $150-ish new. Still a small investment considering how long you'll have it and the value of the computer equipment you're protecting.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Silly attempt at story-writing starts here:

Last weekend it happened.

I where sitting comfortably in front of my new E8400+GTX260, in my most cheerful mood and happily watching silly youtube clips and wooing ladies through MSN-Messenger, happily unaware of what transpired outside in the sky, neither knowing about the gathering of evil dark clouds nor what mischievous plans they had for me.

I where just commenting on a Ricky Gervais clip that my ex linked when it happened.

I still don't know if it was the sound (which i can only describe as a large booming one) or the quick, millisecond-instant flash, that were first recognized by my shocked senses - but after that sudden turn of events my computer where no longer running and my screens complained about a nonexistant video-signals..

As soon as my mind and body where mine to command again, my first reflex and action was to unplug every power-plug i could find in my apartment (and they were quite a few) and going of to the balcony to see the chaos that ruled the night.

I am now at a loss as to what i have done to enrage Thor, the norse-god of thunder, so much as to see my newly bought computer die that night, but my respect of thunder has increased a lot - perhaps even bordering to paranoia from thereon.

And the actual sensible topic is found here :p:

Now i have at least gathered that my power-supply is dead and done for, so i will try to buy a new one in the end of this month.
What i am wondering is what the chances that nothing else has suffered the same fate (crossing my lizard-tail as hard as i can) Does anyone have any experience or could make some sort of guess with motivation based on knowledge? :)
Sometimes its not just the powrsupply, since you have a graphics card which has a separate power chord, a PS damaged due to thunder may also mean a damaged graphics card.
Your Motherboard might also have gone Kaput.
The power in one lightning bolt is immense and the sensitive electronic components of a computer cannot handle such high power.

You should have been careful enough not to keep the computer On at the time of lightning and thunder. I hope your computer hasn't endured greater damage. Good Luck!

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
A $50 UPS won't have voltage regulation, and won't be any better than a power bar in terms of protection.
If you want real protection, it'll cost $150-ish new. Still a small investment considering how long you'll have it and the value of the computer equipment you're protecting.
Voltage regulation won't be of much use in a lightning storm. No UPS on the face of this planet can transform a 10,000V jolt into a manageable 220V (or 110V). Just needs to have a surge protector in it so that if the supplied voltage exceeds or goes below the range of a specified parameter then it shifts to battery-mode. Done.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
its usually not 10,000v....

besides, its the amperage that kills hardware (and people) not the volts.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Voltage regulation won't be of much use in a lightning storm. No UPS on the face of this planet can transform a 10,000V jolt into a manageable 220V (or 110V). Just needs to have a surge protector in it so that if the supplied voltage exceeds or goes below the range of a specified parameter then it shifts to battery-mode. Done.
Plain battery backups don't do **** for smaller power dips and spikes. They only kick in when power is lost entirely, or enough of a brownout that the power might as well be out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.