Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is driving me nuts, but every single CRT I've had starts to make a rather quite squealing sound after I've used it for about a year. As my hearing is very good it's annoying me to no end!

Does anyone else experiance this problem? and does anyone know a way to make it stop? ( Short of breaking the monitor ? )

·
Registered
40 Posts
hmm never heard such a problem with a crt monitor before...the easiest way would be to buy a tft monitor, they aren't that expensive anymore :p
btw. i'm using my crt monitor for about 8 years and i hear nothing :D

·
カラム
365 Posts
Ouch, without a warranty, you may have to get it fixed. Or get a new monitor :D. I've used my CRT for 1.75 years and not even a pixel on the screen is dead yet :D.

·
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pixels haven't died on any of my CRT's and the oldest one is 10 years :) they're great with that. I do have 4 of them but every single one of them makes this annyoing sound though.

·
カラム
365 Posts
It maybe a power shortage or something. Just a guess :D.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
pixels dont die on a CRT because CRTs dont display pixels like an LCD does. so obviously none of the pixels have died on your monitor :rolleyes:

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I've only had one CRT do that to me (my previous one). It would do it for thirty seconds after being off for a while and was high pitched. For some reason, I went through two months or so of using no power saving features and it was usually constantly on. It then went to having no problems at all after I started turning it off alot more again. I really didn't understand, but I've only had this problem once (well, it's more of an annoyance than a problem).

I really can't say what to do other than to turn the monitor on and leave the room for a minute or two.

·
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a strange problem, sometimes if I turn it off it'll go quiet for awhile, and stay quiet. But since it happens with all of my screens, I too think something with the power supply might be causing it, I've tried different contacts, and cords for them though... I'm wounder if some other electric device in my room is affecting them somehow.

I guess I'll try connecting it somewhere else and see if it helps.

pixels dont die on a CRT because CRTs dont display pixels like an LCD does. so obviously none of the pixels have died on your monitor
yes you are right, not the same as you can clearly see a certain pixel dead on lcd, but small areas of the screen can still die and be unable to display anything, I've seen that happen a lot to the CRT's in university. Maybe a proper word for it is area death? :p

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
That's strange. I've used CRTs for many years and haven't had any such problems. Maybe I just don't hear it or something (my computer has always been kind of noisy, although it's silent right now). On the other hand I have heard some high-pitched noises from some monitors when they're turned on. You can maybe try running it at a different frequency or resolution. Maybe you can also play with the color and brightness.

ChankastRules said:
yes you are right, not the same as you can clearly see a certain pixel dead on lcd, but small areas of the screen can still die and be unable to display anything, I've seen that happen a lot to the CRT's in university. Maybe a proper word for it is area death? :p
In my experience when CRTs die the entire display suffers. I've never had just one area die out, although I guess it might be possible.

·
band
4,912 Posts
u can simulate something like that by using a magnet and holding it against the crt. if u push the deguass quickly u can get rid of this temporary effect (darkened/discoloured). if u dont the effect is permanent....this may have happened to your campus comps...

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
hushypushy said:
pixels dont die on a CRT because CRTs dont display pixels like an LCD does. so obviously none of the pixels have died on your monitor :rolleyes:
actually mine has 1 dead pixel :S

·
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, strange as it may sound, it appears like it's somehow connected with screen adjustments, I always make sure the picture cover the entire screen ( almost a little more because I hate to see anythin black along the canvas ) However after making the adjustment with a small black canvas I haven't heard this sound even once.

·
Registered
185 Posts
ChankastRules said:
This is driving me nuts, but every single CRT I've had starts to make a rather quite squealing sound after I've used it for about a year. As my hearing is very good it's annoying me to no end!

Does anyone else experiance this problem? and does anyone know a way to make it stop? ( Short of breaking the monitor ? )
I've seen the problem before & it is either of 2 things
1 - the data cable connected to the monitor need to be changed, it won't cost you much but you don't change it by yourself except if you are experinced with how to change such thing.

2- the chip inside your CRT that is reposnsible for colours is getting ready to be dead, it makes this little annoying sound bec. there is some loss in the data. Nothing can handle this except changing the chip itself which cost 10% of the monitor price nearly.

you can't fix the problem either way except if the monitor is being handled by a technician

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.