Next Generation Emulation banner

41 - 61 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Call me a sticker to the old ways but imho the best oc is the fine tuned one on bios.
It'll definitely be the one giving the best max results, but I'm still pretty impressed by the effectiveness of PBO.

The first advantage is that motherboard options can be annoying. Not every motherboard has every options needed for advanced overclocks, and not every motherboard uses the same naming scheme. Some motherboards also work by entering a specific value (1.250) while others work by + and - (+5, +10). When dealing with something as sensitive as overclocks, it's bothersome to deal with different names, with unavailable settings and different mechanics.

The second advantage is that currently, overclocking locks you to a single speed. If I overclock my CPU to 4ghz, it's always 4ghz. Doesn't matter if only one core is used, if 4 cores are used, or if 8 cores are used. It's always 4ghz. The automatic overclocking system allows a flexible speed. I can have 4.35ghz when using a single core, 4.2ghz when using 2 cores, 4.1ghz when using 4 cores, 3.95ghz when using 8 cores.

Previously, I tried manual overclocks. From what I remember:
- I could easily get 4.0 stable across every core.
- I could get 4.1, but it was difficult.
- I couldn't get 4.2ghz.

So if I were to go with a manual overclock, I would get better speed when using all of my cores at once, but when playing games using only 1, 2 and maybe 4 cores, I'd be better off with the automatic overclock.

What makes the new options in Ryzen Master so interesting is that they might chip away at the big advantage of manual overclocking: risking higher temperatures in return for higher clocks.
So far, what limited this "automatic oc" was that you couldn't tell it "I'm fine with reaching higher temperatures if you give me more speed". The CPU chose everything. You were limited by how hot the CPU allowed itself to run, and it was quite conservative in regard to temperatures.

With the new options for PBO, it's possible to tweak the voltages used by the automatic OC, which means allowing your PC to run hotter for higher speeds.
The downside is that I've got no fucking clue as to what is a dangerous voltage or not. Ryzen Master does show two temperatures, and I see them increasing as I increase the max voltage allowed. But it looks like one of the voltage is related to the VRM, and I don't know if my mobo as sensors on the VRM (I think so?) and if so what they're named in HWMonitor (theres like 10 mobo temps), and if so what a safe VRM temperature would be.

So basically, I'm gonna need some experts to play around with it and write a guide to figure it out.
But once that's done, this software might combine the benefits of automatic OC with some of the benefits of manual OC. For people rocking amazing cooling systems, it'll probably still be better to go with bios fine tuning. But for plebes like me, this combines the benefit of a flexible OC (higher speeds with fewer cores) while allowing me to run my CPU hotter to get higher speeds.

So far I've only done a quick test. Using the stress test inside Ryzen Master, I tested default settings and got a temperature of 62c and a speed of 3.925 across every cores. A small bump in voltage (safe, I think?) I saw temperatures go to 68c and the speed flicker between 3.975 and 4ghz across all 8 cores/16 threads. This also means there should be an increase in speed when running only 2 cores and the likes.

Overall, neat tool! Probably more useful for casual overclockers like me.

Edit: more info-
The "default" value for each voltage is what AMD uses and recommends. The max voltage is what the motherboard vendor allows on their mobo. I would imagine different motherboards will have different max value. It's not recommended to use the max value for 24/7 usage.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
With the current sales of the first gen threadrippers I'm finding it hard not to pull the trigger and get a 1920x to use as a render box, but the single core performance is nowhere near what I want for revit and autocad and that is my primary workflow. 2nd gen is too expensive for my needs and still dosen't address my needs. I want to wait for the node change, 4.6-5ghz might be achievable but only time will tell.

Seeing the 9 series being soldered is a godsend, but lol at intel at the moment. Scuttlebut is saying 5.5ghz on an oc, but that power draw must be pretty intense.

Hard to decide between high clock speed and 8 cores vs 12 cores with threadripper, more cores is generally better for rendering and dealing with 3DZephyr.

·
Administrator
15,451 Posts
Good info on this thread.
Had an illusion that water coolers were heaven but this opened my eyes.
I went AIO and I will only go back to an air cooler if something goes wrong down the line. I only went this route since I overclocked my 8700k and it sits at 68 C at 5ghz all core 1.28v, I have now settled with 4.7 ghz all core at 1.19v (28 C idle, 52 C load) since I hardly had any performance differences. At 5ghz I was over 400w and at 4.7ghz its around 280-310w

sure I could get the same numbers with a large air cooler, but I wanted less stress on the mobo and socket.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Personally i like the simplicity of air, and noctua has and nice fastening system, i will probably stick with the till the end of life.

·
Administrator
15,451 Posts
Personally i like the simplicity of air, and noctua has and nice fastening system, i will probably stick with the till the end of life.
aio is just as simple too, it could be worse we could still being using a screwdriver to put tension on it to put it on the hooks around the socket and then accidently hitting the mobo with the screwdriver ruining it :p

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
I find it strange after so many years (a decade or more) that we haven't reached higher cpu speeds on the mainstream.

I know is more optimizations than clock speed but anyways you'd expect by now most cpus running at 4ghz+ on stock.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It's interesting and frustrating at the same time when software and hardware aren't necessarily meeting up all that well at the mainstream level. We now live in a world where achieving 4ghz across 16 cores is entirely doable (as long as you're happy with the power consumption) but there aren't mainstream software solutions to tackle it, outside of rendering and maybe your crazy uncles homebrew.

But we are living in an era where I can have 4 people work off one machine with virtual machines, and if their constant linux distro downloads through piratebay cause me issues I can wipe and be back up and running very quickly.

It's an amazing and frustrating time to be in tech.

---------

Also I really want to throw a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro on a CPU because lmao at the size of that juggernaut.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
They are beautiful monstrosities. My NH-D14 is still working beautifully to this day.

I absolutely hate their bracket system, study as can be, but the last one I couldn't screw down without some pretty hefty force getting it to bite. Felt a bit worried I'd blow something apart. Still, the performance is godly even with that laughable color scheme their fans have, which is why I want to go with the silent wings with the be quiet! coolers.

I'd be a lot more appreciative of the Asetek coolers if they came with a metal back plate, the plastic ones that came with my corsair are immensely garbage.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
They are beautiful monstrosities. My NH-D14 is still working beautifully to this day.

I absolutely hate their bracket system, study as can be, but the last one I couldn't screw down without some pretty hefty force getting it to bite. Felt a bit worried I'd blow something apart. Still, the performance is godly even with that laughable color scheme their fans have, which is why I want to go with the silent wings with the be quiet! coolers.

I'd be a lot more appreciative of the Asetek coolers if they came with a metal back plate, the plastic ones that came with my corsair are immensely garbage.
Did you by chance screw each all the way in the first go? oO Your suppose to just lock each screw in place at first and only after all screws have been loosely attached you proceed to tighten them :p, I go one step beyond since now I'm used from work to take several turns between them till I finally tighten the hold, since at work fixing in place my tools on the machine if the screws are off balance it can affect a bit the angle of the tool. It basically helps with balance.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Did you by chance screw each all the way in the first go? oO Your suppose to just lock each screw in place at first and only after all screws have been loosely attached you proceed to tighten them :p. It helps with balance.
I'm somewhat sure it was fairly loose, but you might be right haha.

I really want to try the TR4 socket system, it's enormous, but the setup looks pretty easy to use.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Chiphell released a screenshot of cinebench which is running on AMD's 7nm rome with a score of 12,587 which makes it the no.1 score in the world. But seeing cinebench scores can be faked super easily then lol at true believers.

If you take that at face value (lmao) then that makes the IPC jump phenomenally, but after seeing the boost the iPhone Xs got with it's 7nm SOC, an x86 monster will be an exciting prospect.

If AMD have solved the memory latency issues that would be really exciting, if the core speed is what this rumour suggests then holy shit piss is this going to be a good product. But it's early days yet and as an engineering sample I'm going to reserve my judgement until I see something a little more concrete.

-----

At this stage I'm holding off TR4 1st gen, I really want in on this 7nm node.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
--
Although this is mostly a desktop class cpu thread I'm also interested in the benchmarks of the new Apple A12 7nm soc.

Yeah yeah iPhones suck because they are so expensive, but you can't deny they offer top notch performance.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Chiphell released a screenshot of cinebench which is running on AMD's 7nm rome with a score of 12,587
Wait, 12 000? Is it supposed to be a 64 cores / 128 threads cpu?!
I'm gonna run so many instances of Battlefield 5 at the same time.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Principled Technologies was contracted by intel to independently benchmark and test the new 9 series chips and caused a bit of a shitstorm. They showed some 50% gains over the 2700x, however their methodology is severely flawed (disabling half the cores, shite ram timings, noctua cooler for intel, stock for amd) leaving the results heavily skewed in intels favor.

Journalists jumped on this and were able to match (within acceptable limits) their amd results within the same conditions, however by not hampering the hardware it hardly shows such a massive difference.

Intel of course published the results, thereby endorsing their results and just lol at intel once again taking a fat shit with their marketing.

Tech Jesus works around the corner from them and had an interview;

The guy from PT seems visibly shook at times, understandable when your company comes under fire, but to Steve's credit he is very professional and not showing any bias in this discussion. He effectively highlights the issues in a raw format and it's honestly a decent watch.

Still can't wait to see the 9900k with further testing by dudes like Steve, who try hard to be impartial.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Trying so hard not to buy the 9900k, it'll own for gaming, but I'm really after cores for rendering and work. AMD are looking better and better and I'm not so hot on the idea of buying the supposedly last chip on a 14nm node.

Rome being 7nm is exciting enough, I really should just wait until next year.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
My next build will be either Ryzen 2700x or 3700x whichever is currently once I get the $1300-$1500 around for a new build. The system will be for streaming so the extra CPU power will be very useful over my i5 3570k build.

It just wasn't worth the money to swap my system out until recently with Coffee Lake/Zen over my Ivy Bridge system. Was planing on the 1170x2070 to replace my 970 but thats NOT happening now with the $500+ price of the 2070. Would have been possible at $300-$400. Will either have to wait another gen or go with something like the 2060 or ifI can find one a 1070-1080 for the $300-$400 price.

my i5 3570k sees about STP2306-2309 and the 2700x sees 2300 STP so I am not giving anything up there and the 3700x should net me a bit more STP for things like Dolphin/Cemu/PCSX2 and the like.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ah the old urgency vs availability game. I'm in a similar boat, I really am fine with my hardware at the moment, but this 6800k is failing to make my loins froth and I really have that bug to build something new.

The Ryzen 3 series will be worth waiting for, "leaks" indicate a 15% jump over their current chips thanks to 7nm and with the product being shown at CES2019 it could be a very exciting chip. Intel are far too overpriced for what they do, AMD brought everything back into line with their pricing lineup.

intel's 10nm failing really put a spanner in the works, the 9 series chips in both the Z and X lines are not exactly amazing value wise, the 8 series seeing a price increase to compensate for the loss of revenue (also fucking lol at the 7 series still going for over AU$500), 7nm from AMD may be worth the <6 month wait.

If not, a 2700x owns and everyone who I know that owns one thinks it's an amazing chip, performance and cost wise.

41 - 61 of 118 Posts