Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12907/we-got-a-sneak-peak-on-intels-28core-all-you-need-to-know

Alright so Computex is on like donkey kong and intel came in swinging with a 28 core, 56 threaded Cascade-X cpu operating at 5ghz accross all cores. Sounds impressive until it's basically in line with an oc's xeon platinum drawing about 1kw and needing more vrm's than any mans sense would warrant.

I wouldn't put this CPU running at that speed for a long period of time. Enough to fart out a Cinebench score is fine, but in the real world running that kind of shit would be dumb for a 24/7 situation.

The state of that motherboard needing that much cooling for the phasing.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12907/we-got-a-sneak-peak-on-intels-28core-all-you-need-to-know

Alright so Computex is on like donkey kong and intel came in swinging with a 28 core, 56 threaded Cascade-X cpu operating at 5ghz accross all cores. Sounds impressive until it's basically in line with an oc's xeon platinum drawing about 1kw and needing more vrm's than any mans sense would warrant.
This does seem like an impressive beast after the overclock, but it looks like at stock it might be a bit disappointing.
"The Intel Xeon 8180 has a base frequency of 2.5 GHz, a turbo of 3.8 GHz, and an all-core frequency of 3.2 GHz. If we allow for the fact that Intel could likely bin this processor higher, around 3.0 GHz base to 4.0 GHz turbo, then we are looking at a substantial overclock."
I read someone claiming 2.7ghz at stock but too early to believe all of it.

AMD announced their new Threadripper too.
2 models: 24 cores/48 threads, 32c/64t. Base frequency of 3ghz, boost to 3.4ghz.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12906/amd-reveals-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-250w-x399-refresh

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This does seem like an impressive beast after the overclock, but it looks like at stock it might be a bit disappointing.
"The Intel Xeon 8180 has a base frequency of 2.5 GHz, a turbo of 3.8 GHz, and an all-core frequency of 3.2 GHz. If we allow for the fact that Intel could likely bin this processor higher, around 3.0 GHz base to 4.0 GHz turbo, then we are looking at a substantial overclock."
I read someone claiming 2.7ghz at stock but too early to believe all of it.

AMD announced their new Threadripper too.
2 models: 24 cores/48 threads, 32c/64t. Base frequency of 3ghz, boost to 3.4ghz.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12906/amd-reveals-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-250w-x399-refresh
An 8176 plat has the same base clock which is shown on the Cinebench slide, also lol intel had that thing cooled with sub ambient temperatures. I guess they are doing everything they can to keep AMD from looking like monsters with their 32 core threadripper.

Also really jazzed for Zen 2 and at this stage I'm planning it for my home workstation. If it can catch up to intel in Revit and Autocad I'm calling Aces and jumping aboard.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
lol the AMD 2990 is doing the rounds and it looks like a monster chip, the shitty cinebench demo is reporting scores around 6399 and it can xfr up to 4.1ghz.

A max tdp of 250w on the table means a lot of energy at the wall, expect some 400+ watts min. Still, for 32 cores that's a pretty decent design package, having 64 threads around the 3ghz mark is amazing.

Also lol at intel for firing their CEO after he "stuck his dick in a collegue", smoke and mirrors for insider trading and stock fraud. Get fucked intel, fix your shitty 10nm fabs and cut the bullshit already.

Anyway the Coffee Lake-S leaks are doing the rounds and it looks like the 8 core is scoring around the same as their 7900x which is....alright I guess? Cinebench sucks as a benchmarking tool (it's far too quick, doesn't really explain much about the chip) and it's easily manipulated, but it's looking like September for their release date along with Z390.

-------

CPU's are in a really weird place right now.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I've tried a small manual overclock on my 2700x, but despite constantly coming back to it, I could hardly do better than the CPU itself. I'm not an expert overclocker anyway, but overall, it seemed like the CPU was already adjusting itself very well to the point where I just went back to default cpu settings.

What really impressed me - and made me jealous and consider buying a corsair hydro cooler - is someone who told me about his own tests. This person actually helped me quite a bit when it came to setting up the PC or tweaking the ram. When he installed a corsair hydro 110i (I think?) and replaced the thermal paste for the cooler with liquid metal (overkill), his ryzen 2700x boosted itself to around 4.45ghz (I think) in single core tests and 4.3ghz on multi-core. I find this very interesting, because many reviewers tried to manually overclock to 4.3ghz when the cpu was first released (since thats the "default" single-core boost), and they found it a bit difficult (high voltage/high temperature).

To see the CPU (at least one of them, could be a winner of the silicon lottery) go to 4.3ghz multi-core with strong cooling is very interesting and makes me want to see how mine would react with good-but-not-as-good cooling.

----

This also made me look back at the choice I had of going between Intel and AMD. Part of the reason I went with AMD was simply curiosity, as I never had an AMD cpu before. Part of it was also wanting to support their friendlier practice. But part of it was also because I was worried about all the discussions around Intel and temperatures. I'm very, very well aware that for gaming the Intel cpus have a much higher ceiling, but every time I would see the same discussions: gotta buy the CPU, gotta buy the small tool to delid your cpu, gotta buy some liquid metal, delid your cpu and replace the shitty paste inside with the liquid metal (ps: don't break your cpu), gotta buy a good cooler to replace the stock cooler, and now you get 5ghz.
And 5ghz is fucking great, I'd love 5ghz.

But man, as a guy on a budget, I kinda love how I bought the CPU, it was soldered, and the stock cooler is great.
But yeah I might spend 100$ on a cooler anyway cause I wanna find out

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I reckon you made an excellent choice, frametimes on the 2700x are excellent and the XFR really allows us to get the most out of the CPU right outta the box. With some extra investments in cooling, it's superb. Gaming, streaming, good workflow, it's a fantastic chip and not just for the price. Some good ass ram with tight timings really bring out the best from the chip.

It's also worth noting the extra electricity cost of eeking out those last few mhz, Ryzen sucks a lot of juice at that end of the spectrum and it may not be worth the meager performance increase for the power consumption cost. Same deal with intel really but I suppose we all have to be aware of it when we overclock.

I kinda wish I went with anoctua cooler instead of this Corsair Hydro for my 6800k, sure it makes the case look a bit more shitty, but the longterm performance (not dealing with pumps) along with silence and not having to deal with cooling hot water, makes it a very positive investment.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I reckon you made an excellent choice, frametimes on the 2700x are excellent and the XFR really allows us to get the most out of the CPU right outta the box. With some extra investments in cooling, it's superb. Gaming, streaming, good workflow, it's a fantastic chip and not just for the price. Some good ass ram with tight timings really bring out the best from the chip.

It's also worth noting the extra electricity cost of eeking out those last few mhz, Ryzen sucks a lot of juice at that end of the spectrum and it may not be worth the meager performance increase for the power consumption cost. Same deal with intel really but I suppose we all have to be aware of it when we overclock.

I kinda wish I went with anoctua cooler instead of this Corsair Hydro for my 6800k, sure it makes the case look a bit more shitty, but the longterm performance (not dealing with pumps) along with silence and not having to deal with cooling hot water, makes it a very positive investment.
I hadn't given enough consideration to the Noctua, thank you for mentioning it. After looking at it a bit more, if I do buy a cooler, I'll most likely go with the Noctua NH-D15.
I knew it was a good cooler, but I think I overestimated what water cooling could do. I had seen some benchmarks, and had seen how well the NH-D15 was doing, but thought water cooling might be better with sudden "spikes" in temperatures or the likes. Overall, at the same price point, it seems to be about equal in performance with the Noctua being far quieter. And noise was actually something which worried me when I saw those benchmarks previously, the 105 seemed to be alright but the Noctua is definitely better.

I'll have to take a closer look at the measurements of my motherboard, but I think I might be able to make it work with 2 fans. The case definitely has the space, just gotta check the motherboard. So again, thanks for bringing the Noctua back to my attention, definitely seem like I would love it more.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I have the nh d15, it did miracles on my fx 8300, its an amazing cooler, the only drawbacks are the size and the look opposed to the more simple one of a water cooling solution, but the pros outweight the cons imho, more secure, no operating components like pumps that you have to worry about, easier maintainence, better durability over the years and of course noise. The nh d15 is up there trading blows with high end water cooling kits, the main thing in water vs air cooling is that with water cooling it takes longer to reach the max temps because it takes longer for the heat transfer to apply on the water, but this also works in reverse it takes longer for a water cooled cpu to drop temps as well as the water takes a while longer to cool of, meanwhile with air it drops fast.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You nailed it StrikE, water takes a long time too cool down, and as someone who stupidly tried crypto for a week saw his case get red hot and the AIO taking ages to keep the cpu cool. Hot water takes a while to cool off, and even with a 280mm rad and fans, the noise sucks and I'm honestly not happy with the longetivity aspects. It sure does look nice, but building a custom loop would have been far nicer than an AIO kit.

I have built 3 8700k machines, two with AIO's and one with a noctua NH-D15, the noctua is slightly noisier out of the box, but even at max speed it's nowhere near as intolerable as those shitty H115i max speed fans (those sound like jets). The hardest thing with the noctua is installation and ease of access to CPU pins and ram, but honestly outside of somewhat minor hassle and aesthetic reasons, it does the exact same job, but cheaper and with less likelyhood of failure. Asetek AIO's (virtually all aio kits) are not really that amazing outside of convenience.

I reckon it will fit Thanakil, motherboards are doing some ridiculous things these days (yet still somehow shit across the board) when it comes to VRM cooling and positioning, but Noctua are pretty sensible and comprehensive in their designs, I'm sure it'll fit pretty comfortably.

I saw a dude put an NH-D15 on his GPU and as hilarious as the spectacle was, the performance was amazing. Really want to try the same thing lmao to quieten this god damned 1080ti.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
The nice thing about noctua nh d15 is that it can cool decently vrm's as well since the center fan can be positioned quite low. Also i might have said that the size as is a minus, but personally i love how op and how big the rads are, how it looks in my case basically. Though its overkill on my current build, max temps i ever got is 44-45c and the fans could very much be absent as they never go past the minimum rpm.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I previously bought a "Deepcool Gammaxx 400", I had seen discussions about how it was very effective despite being quite cheap.
It's compatible with the "hook" system used by AMD for their coolers, so I decided to give it a shot.
For the sake of volume, my case has 7 fans (4 intakes 3 exhausts) running at half speed.

The stock AMD cooler, while running in "Low" mode (toggle between low and high on the cooler) with speed around 80% would reach 74c during a full load torture test. Seemed quite acceptable considering torture tests aren't really representative of what I do. (Thermal threshold is 85c from what I know)
The Gammaxx was quite thankfully silent at also 75-80% speed, and reached 65c during a full load torture test. Pretty good!

I wanted to see if cpu speed was affected, due to the aforementioned xfr/pbo2.
During that torture test, speed was slightly increased. From moving around 3750 / 3775 to around 3850 instead. A small bump. Single core max speed seemed to remain the same, 4350.
What was interesting is seeing the speed in WoW. Previously WoW would be around 4050, now it's actually moving from 4200 to 4250.
Looks like I'm seeing a bigger increase at the beginning of the "drop" (2/3/4 threads used) compared to full load. Which is neat for a game like WoW which makes limited use of cores (fingers crossed the new DX12 engine improves cpu usage).

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
Could you run Passmark and let me know what the STP is? My i5 3570k gets roughly 2300 and I want to see if the Ryzen 2700x will be either the same better or worse.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Could you run Passmark and let me know what the STP is? My i5 3570k gets roughly 2300 and I want to see if the Ryzen 2700x will be either the same better or worse.
I wouldn't expect any difference. I previously had a 4690k running @ around 4.4ghz and ran some single-thread benchmarks, then I compared the results to people who ran the same benchmarks on the 2700x. We had exactly the same results. I personally upgraded because I found 4 cores / 4 threads to be limiting myself, but there's no tangible change in single-thread performance.

This is my passmark single-thread result:

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
I wouldn't expect any difference. I previously had a 4690k running @ around 4.4ghz and ran some single-thread benchmarks, then I compared the results to people who ran the same benchmarks on the 2700x. We had exactly the same results. I personally upgraded because I found 4 cores / 4 threads to be limiting myself, but there's no tangible change in single-thread performance.

This is my passmark single-thread result:
Thanks thats what I needed to hear. And yeah like I said before I plan on upgrading from my i5 3570k to a 2700x for streaming purposes where the extra cores will come in handy.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Thanks thats what I needed to hear. And yeah like I said before I plan on upgrading from my i5 3570k to a 2700x for streaming purposes where the extra cores will come in handy.
Only thing to keep in mind is that this is single-thread performance while only one core is being used, so performance is around 4.3ghz.
While using every core at once, performance goes lower, around 3.9ghz / 3.95ghz.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
SIngle core is fine for emulation mainly PCSX2 and Dolphin while I will be streaming PC games mainly or my consoles like the Wii U or PS3. So the lower STP with all cores is fine there.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
A new version of Ryzen Master (software) was released. It seems to unlock the ability to tweak the "Precision Boost Overdrive" feature of the new Ryzen chips.
PBO is used to automatically overclock your CPU based on its current usage (highest speed if 1 core is used, lower speed if 8 cores are used).
More specifically, it now shows you which voltage is bottlenecking you between 3 types of voltages and gives you the ability to increase them from inside Windows to allow your CPU to overclock itself higher.
(Or at least, that's what I currently understand)

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Good info on this thread.
Had an illusion that water coolers were heaven but this opened my eyes.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts