Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
___GANTZ Fan Boy___
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got it today , and i must say it's a great game.

Even if you've finish it once on xbox , i believe that it's worth to get this version and play it again . Just graphical upgrade alone is worth getting it.

Gamespot give it 9.3 , even higher than H-L 2 and Doom3 . And i don't say it's good cause gamespot says so but i say cause i've play it and it's awesome. I also have xbox version and finish it twice , Pc version is a Big Improvement over xbox version (control , graphic , sound , and loading time) Plus extra feature like concept arts , film clips .

Graphic is great , every character and environment are highly detail (IMO even better than doom3) , wisely use shadow (but not as good as doom3) and loading time is Fast (compare to Doom3) .

Here are some shots.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
To me it seems to be more of a 3PS than an FPS from these shots.

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
No it's definately a FPS, the cutscenes and climbing stuff plays out kinda like a movie though, and yes it is an EXCELLENT game. i completely agreed with gamespot that it was better than HL2 and D3, aside from its length. Definately worth a buy since its $30.

Graphics are excellent, immersiveness is BEYOND excellent. The hand to hand combat system is the best i've ever seen, excellent blend of combat and stealth, great voice acting, great great great great great....can't say enough about this game. Only downsides i saw was it was short, and it had quite a bit of backtracking. Probably my favorite Single Player FPS of 2004.

Just delivered a unique and excellent single player experience. Not many games can achieve that anymore, and no hype surrounding it either to make people biased.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I gotta get this game. Since my brother loves Riddick movies maybe this will be a good gift :)

S

·
0 Posts
nice gfx; I'm still not entirely used to the "plastic" look in many of those new games though.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yea too much contrast in these newer games. That's why I liked HL2's graphics better than Doom 3's. It looked more realistic.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I totally agree with Samor and RB.. Source wowed me much more than this or D3.

Too much bump mapping makes things look WAY too plasticy.. I can't stand it.

·
___GANTZ Fan Boy___
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I totally agree with Samor and RB.. Source wowed me much more than this or D3.

I'am not say it better than H-L 2 , to me H-L 2 is an amazing game .

But IMO it's way better than Doom3 .
Texture detail is better than D3 , while loading time is Faster (doom3 loading time is so slow on 512Mb system /w High setting But Riddick's texture is higher detail and loading time is way faster than D3)

And i like Stealth system in Riddick better than Gun-It-Down system in Doom3.

Although story in Riddick is not the strong point of the game , but it's better than D3 :) .

Consider it's low price tag , i think this game is a must for any FPS Fans.

P.s. Commentary mode is fun to play , like watching director's commentary on DVD (there are realtime commentary from game maker while you play the game,he will tell you how to make this scene , what is the concept of this thing ..... )

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I was talking graphics-wise, not gameplay wise. :)

I agree; the stealth mechanic is much better than D3's "gun-it-down" style. :redrush:

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
eh, i give it insane props for graphics though, it made an engine using just as much bumpmapping good looking effects as Doom 3 with High res textures and it runs at excellent speeds. The engine far surpasses any i've seen (despite the plastic look) in impressiveness.

Not only that the Immersiveness in the game is untouchable, the plot isn't great but the way it is told throughout the game makes it just as good. You feel like the star of your own action movie. The whole shrot amount of time it took me to beat this game was much more enjoyable than any amount of time i put into any other game this year (aside from possibly far cry).

The game is easily tied for my favorite single player FPS of the year. Great graphics, superb voice acting, excellent pace, can't say enough about it Get the game, now!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I played the game for probably 5 or so hours, but just kind of got tired of it. Sure the engine is really amazing compared to recent games, but I'm not much of a graphics whore. The game "felt" too much like a console first person shooter, if that makes sense. I was hoping the developers would change things a bit for the PC. It felt too sluggish, to me. The voice acting was good for all except Vin Diesel, but that didn't surprise me. I really liked the ambience, but during fights, the action movie-like orchestrated(you know.. the type that plays during trailers for action movies and whatnot) music just made me want to puke.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Although short, I enjoyed this game much more than Doom 3 and a little more than Half Life 2. More, probably because it's less FPS and more "adventurish" than HL2, which is something that attracts me.

The game has a very cinematic presentation. I like.

·
Registered
76 Posts
cooliscool said:
Also they tend to render hair and all the facial hair as part of the model, which makes it like clay or plastic, like an action figure, I don't know why they do that, maybe they can do bump mapping on hair that way, or it's the engine, downside is hair won't float or move because they're "stucked" to the model.

·
I Burnt The Toast!
1,493 Posts
Riddick is bald, Abbot has corn rows, Johns' hair is short, Hoxie is about the only one in the game that has 'long' hair.

We are aproaching a time when realtime hair is rendered, but not yet, just to taxing still on most peoples systems. Remember, lowest common denominator.

Some screens, and into/gameplay vids.
http://burnttoast.no-ip.com/images/tcor/

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
This game is very nice in that it allows you to select which render path you want. I thought "Hey this is pretty cool, let's just select shader v2.0++ because it says it's designed for the 6-series." As you can see from my sig, my computer is not slouch but on that render mode the game cannot even achieve 1fps on my computer. Am I missing something here or is the 2.0++ shader render path that intense?

And the only difference between 2.0++ and 2.0 was the soft shadows, from what I could see at least.

·
I Burnt The Toast!
1,493 Posts
Yah, that is pretty much it, soft shadows. It can only be done on 6 series, but still not well. Areas that don't use many shadows, it works great, but most of the time it's nearly a slide show. I wondered about that the first time I ran the game, and imedietly tried 2.0, instead of 2.0++. Weather it was just not finished being implemanted, or if it acctualy is still to much for even a 6800-GT-U.

·
Silent Viewer
9 Posts
Sorry, But I have a Problem when I run this Game, I've get a message: "This Application requires graphics driver support opengl 1.5 or higher." what should I do?
My garphic card is Geforce 6600 GT
Forceware Driver :81.98

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.