Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which best of these:

Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80GHz)

Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad Processor Q9100 (2.26 GHz)

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
95% of the time (depending on the specific users uses), the former will be, but if it's something that makes heavy use of more than two cores, the latter will be.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
For gaming mostly, the dual core.

For actual professional work, the quad core.

Though some modern games make use of multi core systems...but they're still pretty rare.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Be sure to take power usage in the equation as well. It's a laptop after all :) I'd go for the Quad anyway, unless you have a great GPU to back up the higher clocked dual core. Laptops are made not to be upgraded and to last a few years, the Quad would be my pick for that reason as well.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
well it comes in handy when you are converting a video to divx+installing a game+listening to music+browsing the internet+burning a dvd/cd. is that enough?

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
A minor amount of a 3rd core might come in handy in that uncommon and hypothetical situation, but still not enough to justify buying a quad for multitasking.
I don't know about that...my transition from dual to quad had a noticeable improvement is overall fluidness if you will. For me, it's like when I went dual monitors. I just can't go back :p

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I agree with Skoreanime here, my systems simply responds better with 4 cores, but it's not even close to the step from a single core to dual. Especially not if you come from an AMD Athlon XP.

Anyway, I still stand with my opinion that if the laptop comes with a low end chip like a GF8400 / Radeon HD34xx series you should best get the Quad Core. You'll be GPU limited in PC games anyway.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I really hate this argument. You know what kind of insane multitasking you'd have to be doing to take advantage of anything beyond 2 cores?
(1)Firefox
(2)Music
(3)Messenger apps on core
(4)Random Retro emulator.

Insane multitasking? nahhhhhh, just everyday use.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Oh come on Squall, you can run those on a Pentium 3 if you want to. That's not insane multitasking.

Rather the encoding of a Bluray movie, while watching a Full HD one on a 24" screen, combined with some sort of distributed processing app that is multicore optimized. Then we're talking ;)

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Or more realistically... A game, a walkthrough, music, and WLM.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Oh come on Squall, you can run those on a Pentium 3 if you want to. That's not insane multitasking.

Rather the encoding of a Bluray movie, while watching a Full HD one on a 24" screen, combined with some sort of distributed processing app that is multicore optimized. Then we're talking ;)
yeah... but i have like 30msn convo's open
200 firefox tabs
i don't like media player skipping so into its own thread it goes
and VBA+Hq4x is a cpu killer.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
(1)Firefox
(2)Music
(3)Messenger apps on core
(4)Random Retro emulator.
Everything there but the emulator isn't constantly using the CPU and even when they do it's only in a minor way. Hell, you could run all that on a single core just fine.

I'm running a browser with 10 tabs open, IM, and music right now, and my dual core is still only showing 0-1% usage.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I really hate this argument. You know what kind of insane multitasking you'd have to be doing to take advantage of anything beyond 2 cores?
This is why I love you sphyop.

:p

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
yeah... but i have like 30msn convo's open
200 firefox tabs
i don't like media player skipping so into its own thread it goes
and VBA+Hq4x is a cpu killer.
I see, those weren't earthly situations to me, since I never have more than 10 tabs open unless doing heavy picture browsing or harvesting info from forums. And I usually stick with only 3 MSN convs max, the rest I just click away since I don't have time for them anyway. I see your point about those final two though. But unless VBA needs 2 cores of its own, the media player, msn and firefox (average user number of tabs, not yours :p), could easily be done by a single core without sounds skipping anyway, I think :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts