Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a big decesion on what card i need to buy next week for my computer.

I currently own a voodoo 3 which rocks with lewpys glide 1.33 . I am looking into the geforce 2 ultra card but i am not sure how this card might act or look compared to visualy with my voodoo 3.
Should i buy the voodoo 5500 or should i get the geforce 2 ultra for games and epsxe

HELP PLEASE TELL ME WHICH CARD WILL GIVE ME THE BEST VISUAL FOR EPSXE
thanks

Oh yeah people who actually seen the voodoo 5500 on the epsxe and a geforce 2 based card try to respond only becasuse it dosnt help me to hear only one side of the story to a particullar video card

S

·
0 Posts
Okay, I have never owned a Voodoo 5500, but I did own a Voodoo 3 3000 and was very happy w/it until the GEForce 2 GTS came along. I have had my GTS since it first came out and I am immensely satisfied w/it. I update my drivers regularly and I run w/full FSAA on. My games look great. I would highly reccommend the GEForce 2 GTS or GEForce Ultra (it is just one step above the GTS) to anyone. I have also heard very very good things about the Voodoo 5500 and I have heard that it does somethings better than the GEForce 2 Ultra or GTS. But the downside of the Voodoo card is this, it has been discontinued. Nvidia (makers of the Ultra and GTS) bought out 3DFX (makers of the Voodoo) in January or February of this year. They discontinued all support for the Voodoo cards as of 2/28/01. I don't know if any new drivers are being released for the Voodoo cards, but if they are, they'll be third party ones as Nvidia is not planning to supply new drivers for the Voodoo cards. So, this is why I would reccommend that you consider a GEForce card over the Voodoo ones. Hope this helps.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i bowrrowed my friends geforce 2 pro and played smackdown 2 with and the colors wernt as good as the glide graphics on my voodoo 3. Did i do something wrong or is this really true that glide plugins are better than opengl or direct 3d

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
If u want great colours/visual quality then theres not many cards better than a radeon.
I've allways heard the visual colours poor on g-forces compared to radeons allthough I have no evidence to back this claim up this is what I've been told.
As for the voodoo drivers there will not be any new ones.
I heard This is because Nvidia refuse to release the code for the voodoo drivers therefore no new ones can be made pretty much killing the voodoo new driver wise..
The voodoo5 has plus points though as it has the finest FSAA available but its slower than a g-force or radeon..
I would wait till september if u can because a new turbo radeon is being released (the 7500) with very fast clock/mem for around $199.....
JAZ

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
No I dont think the plugins have much/anything to do with the quality of the image your card produces.
JAZ

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
glide is a dead api, and may it rest in peace forever. Proprietary apis suck. Of course you could argue that d3d is basically the same since it isn't cross-platform, but it is supported on all 3d cards now-a-days if they want to get anywhere. Opengl is cross platform, but game support is dying. Also I believe glide is limited to 16 bit colour only, so you won't get quite the colour accuracy you get with 32 bit colour under opengl or d3d. I for one would recommend an nvidia card. Great performance, nice fsaa, and solid drivers. You're welcome to dispute it, but I haven't seen anything good come out of ati in a good long while.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'd have to cast my vote for an nVidia card. They're the dominant card company right now, and as such will probably be able to provide support for their cards long into the future.

·
Registered
59 Posts
2 Things:

1. If you played Smackdown did you change your video plugin accordingly? If you played it with Lewpy then no wonder. You need to use either a D3D plugin or an OpenGl plugin. I'd suggest one of Pete's many flavors.

2. Sometimes when you just toss a videocard in and don't make sure to erase all the older(Voodoo3) drivers then it may run off the wrong drivers. Or worse yet it may mix them up. I put my geforce into my friend's machine which also had a Voodoo3 in it. Strangely the graphics were exactly the same. I soon found out it was because it was still using some of the Voodoo drivers. Once I had corrected it I saw the true improvement over the V3.

If you have to choose a card I'd go with the Ultra. It's extremely fast and only a bit slower than the GF3. Plus you can find it for $200 on pricewatch.com

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Snowball 2,it is impossible to run an nVidia card on Lewpy's plugin.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Well, not impossible, you could use a glide wrapper but I'm sure that isn't the case here. Voodoo drivers are incompatible with nvidia cards too, mind you.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Well,I already tried with a Glide Wrapper and it doesn't work(dunno why:confused: ).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use a Hercules GeForce DDR i bought when they first came out... I play at 800x600x32bit with 2xFSAA... epsxe works great with it.. if you can get a GeForce2 Ultra, I'm sure you'll be nothing but satisfied with both epsxe and PC Gaming....

side note about PC Graphics... Since i bought my PS2 i hadn't played any PC games in at least 3-4 months (nothing worth a damn until the new Wolfenstien and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault anyway.. at least I thought...) ... I have a remote controlled VGA box Line Doubler i use for my PS2 to play it on my monitor looks sharp as all.. not to mention i dont need a PC DVD player anymore.. anyway.. I bought Max Payne couple weeks ago.. OMG... my P3/733 + aging vid card simply blows away the PS2 with this game.. if you get a GeForce2 Ultra.. pick up this game... heh... Great Story.. Great Graphics.. Great Atmosphere, Great Sound, Great Gameplay.. plus its not so long that it gets boring and not so short that you feel cheated... its almost perfect..

ps. theres still no racing game on any platform that can touch GT3.. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Smackdown 2 works great

I recently made an ISO of Smackdown 2, and I have been playing it on my Hercules 3D Prophet II MX (Geforce 2 MX). I'm using Pete's D3D 1.49 driver and the graphics look way better than Smackdown 2 on a real Playstation. It's very smooth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They look even better with glide and voodoo based cards

the drivers dont cut it in direct 3d or open gl

they need to come out with new plugins

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Gerbilcannon, actually the voodoo 4 & 5 use 32 bit color.

Bleat, GT3 just came out a whil ago so its not strange that its the best racing game right now.

Myself and I, I have looked at alot of thread on this board containing screenshots using different cards and I have to say that Voodoo 5 with 4xFSAA is the most impressive IMHO.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
They use it in glide though? I didn't know they updated the api. I knew they were 32 bit though. I wouldn't invest in a v5 though, just because of the lack of support now. Though I think I remember seeing somewhere that a team is working on hacked updates to the drivers?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts