Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What console RPG do you think has the best battle system?

From what I have played so far I think Grandia 2 and Grandia Extreme has the best battle system.
Which include:
- a real time battle with pause mode while giving command
- you can cancel their attack whether it is magic or Skill. (Even it is a Boss enemy)
- Has a great combination with each character (Grandia Extreme :thumb: )
- 4 party can join the battle at once (Which I really love this :wub: )
- Has a great camera Angel. (This is why I put Shadow Hearts Convernant on third)

The second best is Final Fantasy 7.
The third is Shadow Hearts Convernant.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Gotta love Xenogears' system, surprisingly enough, Xenosaga Episode I's system is one of the most boring systems ever.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I like FFX's fully tactical system. You don't have to hurry it, and you can switch characters mid battle. Xenogears' system is great, but another favorite of mine is the CT system. 3-way combos!

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Dragon Force system huge battles enhaced with magic and a duel betwen generals to finish. Gotta Love it!!

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Grandia 2 all the way!

The only great addition would be triple techs like in Chrono Trigger.

Ever since Grandia 2 I find every other battle system boring, except for Tales of Phantasia's, which is unique.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
i found xenogears to be one of the better ones. the tales of destiny system is okay, but it has problems in the AI department and grandia's also isn't bad. legend of dragoon's is interesting for a while until it gets too hard to pull off the moves.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Battle systems are one of the main reasons I like console RPGs. I definately agree that Grandia 2 is one of the best (can't wait to play Grandia Xtreme).
I generaly like most battle systems. The only feature in a battle system that I don't really like that much is the ones that you have to use key combination in a certain time frame. I really like just selecting the command and the character performing it.

I have found that the amount of camera movement in battles really affects the enjoyablity of gameplay. The battle scenes with little or no, camera movement suck. I bought MegaMan X: CM and it has great graphics but there is really no camera movement in battles which would have made the game much much better IMO.
One game with camera movement in battles is Chrono Cross, its battle system isn't that bad too (but its not the best).

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I would say FFX. I havn't played many console RPG's but that one I liked, since you could switch characters as Kane mentioned and also the ability sphere was awesome.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Grandia 2 and Chorno Cross are tied up in my list. Xenogears comes after

·
Registered
113 Posts
Grandia I and II, Tales Series, and Star Oceans for ingenuity
Suikoden games for an excellent approach to the classic system. FF games: 1 or 2 characters can beat everything up and survive. Suikoden games: If you last 5 rounds with one character living during that time, WOW!

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Grandia II. God I love that system. Haven't played Grandia Extreme yet though.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
my only qualm with the grandia system (possibly only in grandia 2, can't remember if it happened in the first one) was that occasionally the characters would try to get around each other and waste a turn. you know, when they'd basically run parallel to each other and the one on the side farthest from the enemy couldn't get around.

·
Registered
10,687 Posts
I like Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. I'm surprised someone else mentioned them. :thumb:

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Haucusuchus said:
Tales of Destiny 2 (Tales of Eternia?) definately gets my vote. A fast paced combat system with combos; I am guessing that the new Tales of Symponia has the same or similar system.
Despite the 3D battlefield, the system is almost identical.

Exodus said:
the tales of destiny system is okay, but it has problems in the AI department
The AI in the latest Tales games (Symphonia in particular) is very nice. It even handles a couple characters (Sheena, Regal) better than I do with manual control.

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cid Highwind said:
Grandia 2 all the way!

The only great addition would be triple techs like in Chrono Trigger.

Ever since Grandia 2 I find every other battle system boring, except for Tales of Phantasia's, which is unique.
I really love Chrono trigger too cause of the tech combination is really great. But Grandia Extreme also has apllied with combination attack like Chrono Trigger and much wonderful. And also it can be performed by up to 4 characters at once. Cool. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.