Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using an outdated version of Pete's OpenGL plugin (1.66) and now updated it to the OpenGL2 2.6 version but the texture filtering seems to not be working correctly.

On both versions I had texture filtering set to 6 Extended + smoothed sprites but on the new version of the plugin textures look more pixelated.

Here are some screenshots running FF7 for comparison:

Using version 1.66:
http://home.comcast.net/~mareksw/166.jpg

Using version 2.6:
http://home.comcast.net/~mareksw/26.jpg

Look at the textures of the clouds, they look much better in the old version.

The reason I want to run the newer version is because the framerate is better and some little things work like the "blurr" effect when you go into battle.

Any ideas?

And btw, what sound plugin does the best emulation? Some sounds are not emulated very well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Carmichael said:
Using the setup in that link makes the texture filtering good. I also did update the OpenGL2 plugin to 2.7.

My system: Athlon64 3000+
Nvidia Geforce6800
1GB of RAM
That's a result of using the "Hi-Res Textures" option. As far as I can tell the hi-res textures option more or less just doubles the resolution of the texture, basically just quadruples all the pixels. The result is that when the texture is bilinear filtered it's less blurry because what was once 1 pixel being blended with it's neighbors is now 4. This mean you can pick out individual pixels (really groups of 4 pixels) in the original texture.

For some textures, like those with writing or finite details (especially mechanical textures like those with rivets, etc) it looks better because the text isn't so blurry. However, environment textures, like most of those in the FF games, tend to come out looking worse.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Eternal 1.41 has been the best for most games I've configured. It's my default choice.

It does depend on the game however, and your system specs. There are a few games (Metal Gear Solid springs to mind) where Eternal delivers absolutely crappy sound, and it uses more CPU than other plugins.

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
i beat MGS:I using Eternal and the sound was perfect. i use SPUasync/smooth with a buffer of 40 and the MGS fix on. when i use Pete's Dsound there were missing sounds and weird sound effects. in short, Eternal worked perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.