7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have recently spotted a new problem on my PC, first I explain quickly

512MB RAM+Ati4.11
No problem at all

1024MB RAM (1x512 Kingston added, olders are 2x256 Dane-Elec)+Ati4.12 NON-beta
Texture corruption when Hi-Rez mode for textures in HL2
Same in 3Dmark2k5... it always affects the same textures,
for exemple if I play CSS, the bugged texture will mostly likely be the M4A1 one
(white dotes appearing, like if it was sick or something)

Any ideas? I'd like to know what you guys think about it before reverting to previous version or removing the new module. For more system info, check my sig

thx :)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I don't really know... this bug also appeared using 4.12 BETAs (before adding RAM) but on different textures, that's why I wonder if it the RAM or the drivers :(

Anyone ever heard of Kingston RAM modules??

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've heard of Kingston, but I have never used one of their memory modules. It sounds like the 4.11 drivers worked fine for you, so you should revert back to those. (unless their is some reason you must absolutely have the 4.12 drivers, I wouldnt know since I dont own an ATi card and never will)

·
band
4,912 Posts
I wouldnt know since I dont own an ATi card and never will
HATER!

neway >.< back to the topic. Kingston is good ram, but certain motherboards and certain ram/ram configs just dont go well together. For me, i havent noticed nething because of the 4.12s. Maybe your videocard's heatsink is getting dusty and the removal of heat is being obstructed?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I knew somebody was gonna say that. I was just stating a fact, lol. If ATi floats your boat thats fine, but hell will freeze over before I get an ATi card. But back to the topic, it is possible that the motherboard and ram arent working well together, but I doubt it, considering he had 512 MB of it in his comp before this happened. Overheating is also another possibility. I still think its the drivers because it (apparently) worked fine on the 4.11's. I could be wrong though.

·
band
4,912 Posts
wut i meant about the motherboard was the weird combination : 2 x 256 and 512, with the 256 sticks being another brand and all. i dunno tho >.<

EDIT : btw, ATI PWNZ J00!!!!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Oh. I misread his post. I thought he said he already had 2 256 sticks of Kingston and added a third 512 MB one. I've never heard of Dane-Elec, but I have the feeling its crappy ram and is likely the cause of the problem. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>> wut i meant about the motherboard was the weird combination : 2 x 256 and 512, with the 256 sticks being another brand and all. i dunno tho >.<

Could be, but not the case here...

Well, Dane-Elec isn't very known, but it's good quality AFAIK and I never got any problem with them, Kingston as you said is good too... so, before posting I also cleaned all the dust so it can't be overheating. The only good reason I see for this bug is the driver,
the bug occured on 4.12 betas only with ppl using 9x00 cards + AMD CPU. I guess it's not fixed
in the final release... I could turn to 4.11 BUT I would lost the +20% fps on HL2, and I don't mind playing it with Medium texture details (as long as I don't have to drop to Low heh). I noticed that only applications that use very high res texture are affected. I think I'll keep it as it is until I get more problem/driver update.

Thanks for your help :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts