Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my fair share of horrible gamepads; especially in the 90's it was quite hard to find a decent one on pc.
Gravis did a decent attempt at the time with the original Gravis gamepad, a SNES knockoff (and heavily promoted in the pc game Jazz Jackrabbit). Then they based the Gravis Gamepad Pro on the PS1 controller and while the buttons were find the dpad was terrible (and you could attach a little joystick for some reason, it didn't help). It was still better than most other pc gamepads (Target branded junk) and I guess we weren't used to anything better at the time.

The original 360 gamepad had a terrible d-pad too. Later revisions fortunately corrected this; I still use a 360 pad with my pc, it's a standard one but very late generation and allows me to control even fighting games well. It's tons better than the older models I had before and on par with the XB1 dpad. With the originals it was even troublesome navigating the 360 menus.

While I can personally handle a Dreamcast controller just fine, it's no excuse for the horrible design. Way too big, strange button placement and ridiculously heavy when including a "rumble pack" (not the brightest idea either). The vmu was novel but if you need to change batteries every few days you hardly ever use it outside of the controller.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
The Dreamcast controller made fighting games not fun which was bad because that was one of the reasons to have a Dreamcast.
The Nintendo 64 controller wasn't good for much other than platforming games and the Playstation started having better ones and a better controller.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weird things is I can play fighters just fine with the dc pad, maybe even better than with several other controllers. I can see button placement is odd and the dpad accurate but slightly slippery... I don't think I do anything special regarding the buttons, but I probably let my thumb slide on the dpad on purpose when pulling off moves and it works for me.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
I liked the adaptor that let you play PlayStation controllers on the Deadcast. Oddly though Daytona USA didn't play with the adapter.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
360 controller are the worse controllers IMO and the original controller to have analog stick drift.

now for the DC controller Retro Fighters StrikerDC DreamCast Controller
That looks good but I'm not getting them :p
Original 360 pads sure had issues, I'm glad they solved them in the later ones. I originally thought only the elite controllers had a d-pad fix but the later normal ones do too.

Most of them weren't very durable though, I think this is my 4th 360 pad (5th if I count a third part one which was officially licensed but only lasted half a year). In comparison I only had to replace my dc pads once (and they were a lot older) and only one of the ps2's dual shock controllers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts