Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Schiavo Autopsy Shows Massive Brain Damage

An autopsy on Terri Schiavo backed her husband's contention that she was in a persistent vegetative state, finding that she had massive and irreversible brain damage and was blind, the medical examiner's office said Wednesday. It also found no evidence that she was strangled or otherwise abused.

He said that after her feeding tube was removed, she would not have been able to eat or drink if she had been given food by mouth, as her parents requested.

"Removal of her feeding tube would have resulted in her death whether she was fed or hydrated by mouth or not," Thogmartin told reporters.

He also said she was blind, because the "vision centers of her brain were dead," and that her brain was about half of its expected size when she died 13 days following the feeding tube's removal.
I guess even in the end it doesn't matter because the right wing groups would still believe Terri could be saved. (Then again these over zealous religious groups would believe that the world is flat even if you showed then satellite photos of the Earth.)

All these allegations that Terri’s husband abused her holds no water at all.
 

·
The Hunter
Joined
·
15,879 Posts
Tell that to my gramps :p

I'll assure you you're gonna have a hard time, they are convinced that it's complete BS if someone tells them they found an ancient artifact of 10.000 years ago cause the world is only 6000 years old :rolleyes:
 

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
Joined
·
1,951 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Tell that to my gramps :p

I'll assure you you're gonna have a hard time, they are convinced that it's complete BS if someone tells them they found an ancient artifact of 10.000 years ago cause the world is only 6000 years old :rolleyes:

You misunderstood that age thing. (and most people seem to. oO ) That 6000 years thing meant the age of MANKIND, (probaply mankind as we know it?) not world nor universe. But thats OT.



Finally this got settled. He was already just a corpse with a beating heart. Her revival would have been impossible.
 

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
Joined
·
1,457 Posts
lol. i'm about as right wing as anyone around here gets. I KNEW she was unrecoverable. The part of her brain that's responsible for higher brain functions died due to a lack of oxygen and basically melted. How the hell do you recover from that? I also know that that the universe is several billion, probably trillions, of years old.

edit. was watching the news and heard HALF of her brain had melted away. Impossible to recover from
 

·
The Hunter
Joined
·
15,879 Posts
MaZa said:
You misunderstood that age thing. (and most people seem to. oO ) That 6000 years thing meant the age of MANKIND, (probaply mankind as we know it?) not world nor universe. But thats OT.



Finally this got settled. He was already just a corpse with a beating heart. Her revival would have been impossible.
LOL, no offence, but in this case, it's about the world as whole, not only mankind ;)

Well after reading this, I'm glad there's an official confimation that they made the right decision :)
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
8,882 Posts
Physicians and neurologists knew all of this since the beginning of the whole brouhaha. Only the obstinate right-wing, "pro-life", types thought otherwise.

And even with all this new evidence now they'll still keep to their old opinions, I'm sure of that. You can't argue against willing ignorance.

MaZa said:
You misunderstood that age thing. (and most people seem to. oO ) That 6000 years thing meant the age of MANKIND, (probaply mankind as we know it?) not world nor universe. But thats OT.
Cid is not mistaken. Young Earth Creationists actually claim that the Earth is only six thousand years old. They even made some feeble attempts to prove their points with bogus arguments from geology (but in the end they all go back to the Bible as “proof”).

If you still don't believe that anyone could hold this kind of view, then check the Answers in Genesis FAQ . It's needless to say that all of their arguments are bogus (and some of them are deliberate lies or distortions).

Seta-San said:
I also know that that the universe is several billion, probably trillions, of years old.
IIRC you're an atheist. If you were right-wing AND a christian (a very common pair), then I'd be surprised.
 

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
Joined
·
1,951 Posts
Cid is not mistaken. Young Earth Creationists actually claim that the Earth is only six thousand years old. They even made some feeble attempts to prove their points with bogus arguments from geology (but in the end they all go back to the Bible as “proof”).

If you still don't believe that anyone could hold this kind of view, then check the Answers in Genesis FAQ . It's needless to say that all of their arguments are bogus (and some of them are deliberate lies or distortions).
This is mostly again right wing vs. left wing thingy. When counting the ages of people in bible, you indeed get about 6000 years as an age of man. However, where they go wrong when they count the 7 days of creation as 24 hour days. I dont remember where it was written, but it said something like "days of god are like thousands of years", meaning they cannot be counted. Counting "estimated" 7x10000000+6000 years, i guess we have somewhat correct age of universe... :dance: :lol:


But really thou, IIRC the dude (which i dont remember. not necessary for my life) who originally counted that 6000 year thingy, did originally mentioned it as 6000 years old mankind or something. I might be badly wrong though...
 

·
Coffee Demon
Joined
·
2,907 Posts
Lets not turn this into a religious / political thing. The whole Right Wing / Pro Life agenda crap was still only in extremist groupings. No use lumping the whole lot in....case in point Seta-Sans comments.

Same here...we consider ourselves a moderate, but sway towards more conservative viewpoints then liberal. We are also Christian, but we knew Shiavo wasn't comin back. If anything we hoped God would take her sooner....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,111 Posts
to me she was just a corpse wasting electricity from the time she was braindead, there is a possibility that the right wingers will use this as an argument in many issues against left wingers later, in a way she was a casualty of that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Let's please not generalize, here. I don't like being put in the same group as the fundamentalist American versions of the Taliban/Sharia pushers/wtfever else.

I'm a conservative (not like these big-business lots, I DESPISE big business), AND I'm a Christian. One of the Gnostics, yes, but unless you're a staunch "Anyone that doesn't share our particular point of view burns in some random pit of despair borrowed from Norse and Zoroastrian mythology" -type person, then that's still a Christian group.

This has been your public "WAKE UP" announcement. Paid for by the Please Don't make Absolute Statements except in Programming fund.
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
8,882 Posts
MaZa said:
This is mostly again right wing vs. left wing thingy.
It has nothing to do with the political axis...

MaZa said:
When counting the ages of people in bible, you indeed get about 6000 years as an age of man. However, where they go wrong when they count the 7 days of creation as 24 hour days. I dont remember where it was written, but it said something like "days of god are like thousands of years", meaning they cannot be counted. Counting "estimated" 7x10000000+6000 years, i guess we have somewhat correct age of universe... :dance: :lol:


But really thou, IIRC the dude (which i dont remember. not necessary for my life) who originally counted that 6000 year thingy, did originally mentioned it as 6000 years old mankind or something. I might be badly wrong though...
Counting the age of the Earth according to the Bible will produce crappy results regardless of your methods.
 

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
Joined
·
1,457 Posts
i live next door to "that" type of christains. They freak me out entirely. They walk around the back yard with their hands up, like they are accepting the word of god, and claim they can speak in tongues. i really hate fanatics :p
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
8,882 Posts
Seta-San said:
i live next door to "that" type of christains. They freak me out entirely. They walk around the back yard with their hands up, like they are accepting the word of god, and claim they can speak in tongues. i really hate fanatics :p
:lol: The part about speaking in tongues reminds me of something I've read in the Skeptic's Dictionary:

In an attempt to overcome provincialism, I thought I'd check out the news from other parts of the world where state-funded faith-based education is accepted. I thought I'd start with Aftenposten - The News from Norway. One story reports that the Norway Labor Inspection Authority blasted work conditions at a private Christian fundamentalist school for listing Jesus Christ as its executive manager. "We at the Labor Inspection Authority naturally cannot go to the spiritual world to contact those with chief responsibility for the health, environmental and safety work at the school," said senior inspector Gunn-Elise Lyngtveit Ramlet. Why not? Does it violate the union contract? Can't engage in good-faith negotiating with such an EM?

Ananova reports that some teachers at the private Skjaergard's School are complaining that the headmaster, Pastor Glenn Rasmussen, keeps trying to exorcise them.

The school features such exotic classes as speaking in tongues for second graders. I wonder if this is part of the no child left behind program in Norway.
Talk about weird people :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
Seta-San said:
i live next door to "that" type of christains. They freak me out entirely. They walk around the back yard with their hands up, like they are accepting the word of god, and claim they can speak in tongues. i really hate fanatics :p
I'll give the fundies one thing, though: they've got drive. But, yeah. I have a few friends like that. There was no big bang, evolution is a horrible lie, everything in the Bible is the literal truth, and if you believe otherwise you're going to hell. Sheesh.
 

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
Joined
·
1,457 Posts
meh. big bang is still to be really answered imho. the reason i say so is because under the big bang theory there is also a big crunch.. as to say all the mass in the universe contracts to a single point of space and eventually big bangs again. The problem is that the universe is still infinately expanding with no apparent reason at all under that theory, or most any other one for that matter. They have resorted to blaming it on "dark energy" which is dark for the same reasons the dark ages were dark, we know little to nothing about it.

The Khan Artist said:
I'll give the fundies one thing, though: they've got drive. But, yeah. I have a few friends like that. There was no big bang, evolution is a horrible lie, everything in the Bible is the literal truth, and if you believe otherwise you're going to hell. Sheesh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
My girlfriend still doesn't believe in outright evolution. Problem with that is, Darwin didn't either :\

Also considering the fact that he was WRONG and adaptations and differentiation happen much more quickly than a million years, and sometimes on their own :/
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,111 Posts
Also considering the fact that he was WRONG and adaptations and differentiation happen much more quickly than a million years, and sometimes on their own :/
he got the idea of evolution right maybe just not the timeframe,if by chance something gives an organism an advantage it will pass it on in it's decendents
 

·
Moo.
Joined
·
455 Posts
They should've let her die a long time ago. People cling far too desperately to life.
 
1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Top