Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
*cough* there seems to be quite huge difference in graphics. :) DS should be able to do better than that thought!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
What are you talking about?! :rolleyes: Seriously though, they should stop dual-releasing for the PSP and DS. This is not like the consoles where the differences between versions are very slight. They are very different systems with very different strengths and weaknesses. In general I guess I think it's harder to develop a really good DS game, cause you have to think outside the box and can't really rely on graphics and sound. The DS is doing very well commercially though, so I guess they want to cash in.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
PSP gfx looks great, i thought it was something between psx and ps2...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Too bad the DS and the PSP aren't even close as far as the hardware is concerned. Let's see you pit an N64 screenshot against one from a PS2. See how they compare graphically.

And we all know the DS isn't about pretty graphics. It's about gameplay. Sure, the game looks significantly better on the PSP, but how do they both play? With this kind of game, I'm sure the PSP will play better, but who knows. It could be the opposite.

·
___GANTZ Fan Boy___
406 Posts
OMG!!

Are you serious it's NDS..... I thought it's a GBA version :???: cause graphic is so sucks :( .

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Zsaber said:
Too bad the DS and the PSP aren't even close as far as the hardware is concerned. Let's see you pit an N64 screenshot against one from a PS2. See how they compare graphically.

And we all know the DS isn't about pretty graphics. It's about gameplay. Sure, the game looks significantly better on the PSP, but how do they both play? With this kind of game, I'm sure the PSP will play better, but who knows. It could be the opposite.

IIRC, hardwarewise PSP is more portable PSX than PS2, with better 3d acceleration that is. And games on DS that i have seen, DS is more than able to produce better graphics than that!

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
yeah, I think the DS ought to be able to do BETTER than N64; the only titles that were N64 ports were two launch titles afaik (mario 64 and rrds); games like NFSU2 and Nanostray (and even the submarine tech demo, heh) look far beyond that.
Of course, games are gonna look better on PSP, but this comparison seems kinda off; if you want a more fair one, I'd say look at how both NFSU games look. The PSP will still be ahead of course, but it's a more fair comparison.
One could also compare both Ridge Racers with each other, but then you're comparing a N64>DS port with a game dedicated to the PSP hardware.

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
This is a game called ASH, being developed by Mistwalker studios. Look at these screenshots and tell me the DS isn't capable of some great graphics. It's more about the development team and how much effort they want to go into with the game.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
Rhombus said:
[...]In general I guess I think it's harder to develop a really good DS game, cause you have to think outside the box and can't really rely on graphics and sound. The DS is doing very well commercially though, so I guess they want to cash in.
Actually, I think some companies are thinking too much "inside the box" with the DS.

A little story:
At a generic game company, the head developer and marketing person meet....
Dev: We're done with our new DS game, wanna see it?
Marketing: Sure...
Dev shows game
Marketing: Ooh, nice, really nice....but.
Dev: but what?
Marketing: You're not really using the DS-specific functions, are you?
Dev: Uhm, we did use it as we wanted; bottom screen for statistics, so the top screen is all action :)
Marketing: no, no, no...the stylus? the microhone??? What about it?
Dev: You can control the menu's with the stylus and the regular buttons? The mike, it's really not needed....
Marketing: WRONG! ALL WRONG! How do you EVER think we're gonna SELL this game?! The people want to use their DS because it's a DS!
Dev: Err..they do?
Marketing: Sure, who's the marketing guy here?
Dev: If you say so. What do you propose then?
Marketing: You had some fancy actions under the shoulder buttons; put those under the stylus, and remove them from the shoulder buttons. This will force people to use the stylus - that's what they want.
Dev: But... it's a fast game, I don't think...
Marketing: You don't think because I do the thinking here.
Dev: ...
Marketing: Then something else: When you go gameover, the player should have to shout "continue" into the microphone instead of just clicking a button to continue. It adds to the experience.
Dev: *sigh*
Marketing: No need to sigh; the next game will be more targeted to the DS' specific functions from scratch, so you won't need to make changes afterwards.
Dev: What's the idea?
Marketing: Our multi-million selling game franchise, Paolo the Pancake.
Dev: Ah, from the famous GBA platform game!
Marketing: Yes, but this time we're gonna do something new and entirely different!
Dev: Sounds good (for a change), what do you have in mind?
Marketing: Well, Paolo, being already a round character, is just perfect for the DS! With the stylus, you can throw him, draw with him... just about anything!
Dev (sarcastic): I'm thinking "Paolo's Paintbrush Pong"?
Marketing: Brilliant!
Dev: ....right.. and what are you gonna do with our other franchise, Mech Destroyer 3000?
Marketing: Nothing; Mechs don't make good round balls.
Dev (sarcastic again): Maybe the cannonballs they shoot do....
Marketing (enthusiastic): That's the best idea I ever heard!
Dev (slaps head): No... no, it's not.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Nice, i really hope this not a true story ;)

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Zer0Soul said:
This is a game called ASH, being developed by Mistwalker studios. Look at these screenshots and tell me the DS isn't capable of some great graphics. It's more about the development team and how much effort they want to go into with the game.
Well, if those screenshots were big enough to tell...

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
Exactly, it's the effort the development team puts into the game. You never read my posts ever. Even if it's pre-rendered it still looks great. The DS is capable of good graphics, it's just a matter of the art direction and team.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Hum, you do know what pre-rendering means dont u? oO Afaik i could pre render an almost photorealistic image with the DS, it would take days, but i could do it. Still doesnt mean the DS was gonna give me a game with that kind of quality

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Zer0Soul said:
Exactly, it's the effort the development team puts into the game. You never read my posts ever. Even if it's pre-rendered it still looks great. The DS is capable of good graphics, it's just a matter of the art direction and team.
Well, I wouldn't go that far to say that the graphics were pre-rendered (the backgrounds maybe, pretty unlikely though, because of the limited cart size), but consider this: Even the Playstation could produce such graphics. Of course the framerate was kinda low, but technically it was possible and commonly used in RPGs with random battles (FFIX is the best example). Now take a somehow more powerful system and you'll see those graphics filtered and at 15 fps.

EDIT: Forget what I just wrote and read here...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Have you ever played Tenchu? The original PSX one wasnt all that graphicly intensive, and the PS2 ones dint make things mutch better. To enjoy Tenchu IMO you have to look far, FAR past graphics, its the gameplay that counts, dont forget that Tenchu was the first game with this kind of stealth action gameplay.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
The point isnt that tenchu wouldnt be a good game without graphics, but DS should be able to much better than that! They seem to put all money to PSP version!

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The graphics for Tenchu DS are on par with other 3D DS titles such as Metroid Hunters Prime. This is what the DS is capable of without resorting to pre-rendering. If you were expecting the NDS to be at this console gen's level in terms of graphics then you were living in a fantasyland. It is time to wake up.

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
I'm not living in any fantasy-world. I guess, i'm just a guy that prefer Art direction to a few extra poloygons. I can really careless, how fantastic a game looks compared to how it plays and if it pulls me in. I have loved the Tenchu series, even the Way of the Samurai series which is created by the original crew of Tenchu.

I wasn't going at that, and yes I know what pre-rendered is. I'm not a idiot, I've been in the gaming business along time. It's Art baby, yea!

People put too much thought between the two with power and what's the system capable of. People just don't look and go dang that was a fun game, or wow that really pulled me in anymore.

It's always, well look at the crap graphics compared to this, or so forth.

I have both systems, and I do play my DS more currently do to the games. Yet, the PSP has some very interesting RPG's and games coming soon. I really never take the time to go wow my PSP eats your DS for lunch. There both there for different purpose. Now I go back to work, before old man river shuts my comp off for this article.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.