Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I'm pretty good at installing GRUB, so I'm not worried about losing data by de-installing it.

What I want to do is install the normal Windows XP boot loader back in so when I send my laptop back in for warranty repair I don't get heckled about dual-booting (it will boot straight to windows - no graphical OS choice screen on boot).

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
KillerShots said:
OK - I'm pretty good at installing GRUB, so I'm not worried about losing data by de-installing it.

What I want to do is install the normal Windows XP boot loader back in so when I send my laptop back in for warranty repair I don't get heckled about dual-booting (it will boot straight to windows - no graphical OS choice screen on boot).
Boot off the Windows install CD and when given the option, type R for recovery console. It will ask you to log on to your XP install with the Administrator password. At that point you will be at a DOS prompt where all you need to do is type "fdisk /fixmbr"

Is there a site or guide or something that lists all the hidden features in Windows setup? Like press ctl-alt-shift-f1-enter then blow your nose to have Windows installer make you a coffee (yes I'm exaggerating slightly)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.