Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - help request here I'm afraid :( I'm having trouble getting Tekken 5 to work.

I am using the non-VM (pcsx2_Pg_TBL) version of PCSX2 Playground v1.0.0395, as I get the memory allocation (487) error on running the VM version. I first tried with PCSX 0.9.4 but that doesn't seem to work at all. The game works ok-ish - albeit with thin black vertical lines, and a lot of blur and flicker - up until a fight begins. I see the intro and stage background, but the characters are invisible. After the 'Round 1, fight!' audio and text, everything goes black other than the top of the UI (screenshot).

I'm using the SPU2ghz sound plugin (screenshot) configured to use least CPU, and the GSDX9 graphics plugin (screenshot), for which configuration has been left at default. Here's the CPU configuration (screenshot) - any frame limiting setting other than VU-skip seems to crash PCSX upon starting up the game.

I've tried using 0.9.5 SVN 377 with GSDX 0.1.8 as detailed in this thread as it was reported to work, but the emulator crashes after the minigame intro when I try this.

My spec is below; I realise it is not an uber gaming rig, and that Tekken 5 is more resource-heavy than most games, but people seem to be succeeding in playing this game with slower setups. I can get a stable 3.6GHz out of the Q6600, but load temps are pretty high when I do so I tend to leave it at 3.3, as that extra 300MHz/core makes little difference for day to day use. I can bump this up if it would help, though.

OK, I think that's everything. Sorry for going into so much detail, just trying to make sure I leave nothing relevant out. I apologise in advance if I've missed a thread where a working configuration for Tekken 5 is covered - I searched and read quite a bit and tried all the suggestions I could find, but no joy. I would appreciate any advice people might have.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
In GSdx disable Nloop hack, texture filtering and alpha correction.
Enable NATIVE option in GSdx
In cpu config keep
1:consecutive frames before skipping=1 and the last option next to this as 2
disable all speed hacks and enable them one by one to isolate the problem, I can't remember the proper name but there is a hack which breaks the game.
In game fixes option enable the fix for Tekken5
In advancedoptions config use the defaults option.
Use an ISO
Start the game form File>run CD/DVD

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Use 0.9.6 as it has implementations to get the game running at a faster rate and with less chance of crashing.

I tried tekken5 with 0.9.6 but could not get any speed increase, old playground versions around 300 series were really good. But I haven't tested enough with the emulator so I maybe wrong to a certain extent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies so far.

In GSdx disable Nloop hack, texture filtering and alpha correction.
Enable NATIVE option in GSdx
In cpu config keep
1:consecutive frames before skipping=1 and the last option next to this as 2
disable all speed hacks and enable them one by one to isolate the problem, I can't remember the proper name but there is a hack which breaks the game.
In game fixes option enable the fix for Tekken5
In advancedoptions config use the defaults option.
Use an ISO
Start the game form File>run CD/DVD
OK, I've done (nearly) all of this, and I can at least now see what's going on ingame. However, the best I can get out of it is around 30fps with VUSkip on, and it stutters visibly as it skips big chunks of frames :(. Where you say: "In cpu config keep 1:consecutive frames before skipping=1 and the last option next to this as 2" - I don't seem to be able to do this as whenever I enter any non-zero value for either of these settings, the emulator instantly crashes to desktop on startup.

Thanks for your help so far though, as I said I can at least see what's happening ingame now and I couldn't before :)

Full speed here and with only a couple of the minor speed tweaks in the Hacks section.
See, it's stuff like this that makes me think I must be doing something badly wrong. Our spec is largely comparable (though I understand PCSX2 only uses two cores, so your duo @ 3.6 will outperform my quad @ 3.3), but despite this I can't get the game to run at half-speed even with all possible speedhacks on and excessive frameskipping. On some of the more visually taxing stages (Burning Temple for example), I don't even get 20 frames per second. Could I trouble you to post your version and plugins?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Leave vuskip alone for now. Better try the intc_stat hack OR x2 sync hack.
With your cpu you should be getting between 35 and 55fps depending on the stage using 0.9.6.

Earlier builds can't be faster in Tekken5, since we fixed the slowness problem just before the release.

Also I just saw you got an ATI card, which are known to be very slow in some games with gsdx!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm using 0.9.6, and with my AMDX2 5000+ @2.6GHz, I can play Tekken 5 at an average of 42FPS. So yeah my config is

GSDX9
Native, Texture Filtering, Log-Z, Alpha Correction checked

CPU
Everything on the left part checked
VU Skip checked (Frame skip if you don't like VU, but VU gives me 10 more FPS)

Speed Hacks
Use x3 Cycle Rate checked
Everything on the right part checked

Advanced
Everything default, because it breaks most of the stages. (The black stage on your first screenshot)
Oh and my favorite stage to play is the Final Stage 2 since I noticed it is the least taxing of all the stages. But you can't practice your wall combos there since there are no walls on that stage.

The black vertical lines are apparently the effect of the D3D Internal res in GSDX so you might want to check Native.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
I'm using 0.9.6, and with my AMDX2 5000+ @2.6GHz, I can play Tekken 5 at an average of 42FPS. So yeah my config is

Oh and my favorite stage to play is the Final Stage 2 since I noticed it is the least taxing of all the stages. But you can't practice your wall combos there since there are no walls on that stage.

The black vertical lines are apparently the effect of the D3D Internal res in GSDX so you might want to check Native.
The fastest stage in the game is the one with the car hanging in the background, I get 40-42 fps on PAL i.e., 80% full speed with VU skip last two options as 1 and 4. Using GSdx sse2 since my cpu is AMD X2 4400+

1 - 9 of 9 Posts