Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
First of all, congratulations on such a huge project. It looks great, and it is really really promising.

Now, i have a small question. I am a computer engineer myself, and i was just wondering... how did things start?

I hope i am not wasting your time with this. I just hope the developers will just waste a minute or two to answer this.

As far as i know, there are no documentation available for the different PS2 parts. Correct me if i am wrong. But, i couldn't find any documents explaining how the graphics card works. How to communicate with it? or even the instruction set of the processor. (if there are, where can i find them?)

So, how did you people start? It looks like the very beginning was the hardest thing. Working in a totally obscure environment! How did you mange to get things going great like this? I really admire your efforts...

Thank you very much..
Yours,
someone2

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
You can always take a look at the source code from sourceforge.net :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reichfuher said:
You can always take a look at the source code from sourceforge.net :)
I tried, but there are nearly no comments at all in the code.
Anyway, i am not interested in creating a PS2 emulator. I was really curious to know how did the whole thing start? where did the guys get the info from? :)

·
B( o Y o )BS!
895 Posts
To ChaosCode: If you read the source code you understand why they don't want to explain it :p
also he didn't ask about the soruce code, he jsut asked how thay started to work on the emu.

To someone2: There is a doc on the basic architecture of the cpu. It's not from the ps2 so it doesn't explain all the ps2, just the main core.
It's also known that it's a MIPS 3 cpu with 64 & 128 bit extensions from mips 4 (IIRC), called MIPS r5900.
There are also some docs made by ps2dev scene. And the official (confidential) docs for the licensed developers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts