Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys but I am thinking of upgrading my laptop for a better epsxe experiance

Please glance at this and tell me what you think.

I dont want to make a mistake

• 15.7"TFT Active Matrix Colour Display with 1280 x 1024 resolution (SXGA)
15"TFT Active Matrix Colour Display with 1024 x 768 resolution (XGA)
• Intel ® Mobile Pentium ® III processors,featuring support for
Intel ® SpeedStep ™ technology
• Intel ® Solano 2-M
• Phoenix Plug-and-Play NoteBIOS
• Two SO-DIMM sockets,expandable to 512MB SDRAM
• 6,10,20 or 32GB U-DMA HDD options
• ESS ES1988 Audio Chipset.Multi-stream DirectSound and DirectSound 3D acceleration.Sensaura CRL Position3D.S/PDIF output.Adjusting volume control buttons above keyboard.Two stereo speakers built into front of computer
• Two Type II or one Type III PC Card Slots;CardBus and Zoomed Video Support
• ATI ® Rage Mobility M4 Graphic Accelerator,4X AGP Graphics with integrated 16MB SDRAM
• One Modular Bay for 1.44 FDD, One Modular Bay for 10X/24X CD-ROM, 8X DVD-ROM,CD-RW,2nd Battery,2nd Hard Drive (hot swappable)
• Internal V.90 56K Mini-PCI modem or Internal V.90 56K modem /10/100MB Ethernet combo card or Internal V.90 56K modem /IEEE 1394 Firewire combo card
• Solo Port Replicator and Solo Docking options
• Two USB,High speed serial,EPP/ECP Parallel (bi-directional),RJ-11,RJ-45 (optional),IEEE 1394/Firewire (optional),PS/2,DC input,240-pin Docking Connector,external monitor (VGA),TV out (NTSC/PAL composite video), Toslink S/PDIF digital audio out,microphone (mono),Line in (stereo), Headphone (stereo)
• Complete 86 key Windows keyboard
• EZ-Touch ™ Pad
• Windows 98 Second Edition,Windows 2000,Windows Millennium
• Removeable 9 Cell intelligent Li-Ion battery (58,3W), Secondary removable 6 Cell intelligent Li-Ion battery (35.6W)(optional)
• SMBIOS 2.3 support,ACPI 1.0b support,APM 2.1,WFM 2.0
• 15"Model,329mm (W)x 262mm (D)x 41mm (H),Weighs:3.3kg 15.7"Model,339mm (W)x 286.5mm (D)x 42 mm (H),Weight:3.58kg

So whata ya think is it worth £3,200 Irish pounds ?

Its a 1GHz PIII
With 256MB 133MHz ram
15.7 display
And dvd

Yours ...

S

·
0 Posts
Oh man, yes yes yes!!! I would love to have a Laptop like that to compliment my desktop. Go for it! It sounds wonderful and you should be well pleased. Please post again w/your decision.
BTW ePSXe should run great on that set up.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Looks good,but,if you have the cash,try to find one with a GeForce 2 Go,you'll get much better performances in gaming with it;)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Watch out, you'll proably get burned with the ATI Rage Mobility graphics chipset. You really should wait for nForce laptops (if they are ever going to come out) before making any final decisions. You should also find out which model of Rage the Mobility is. If you want to upgrade your ePSXe experience, I would recommend a GeForce 2 card (nForce again :)

If the mobility is a Rage 128 or higher, you'll probably be OK!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Intel® 815EM graphics chip with up to 11 MB video SDRAM (shared) and Intel's Dynamic Video Memory technology

is this card crap as I was looking at a sony vaio and this is the best they have

·
Registered
900 Posts
p3 tualatin processors should be out. dont know about laptops though. they are suppose to come in either 512k L2 cache or 256k. the ones with 512k cache are much better than the current p3 coppermine chips. if i had alot of money i would concider either one of the tualatin chips or wait for the .13 micron 2 ghz p4's.

oh yea if you want a labtop that will last forever buy a dell. If you decide to buy a PC then build it yourself. ABIT boards rule.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx guys

Can somebody do me a smal favour please.????

I searched the net and even phoned the US and found this

Toshiba Satellite 2805-S603

1.0GHz Pentium III w/SpeedStep, 256MB RAM, 30GB hard drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW, 56Kbps modem, 10/100 Ethernet, Windows Me and a 15" active-matrix display

With a geforce 2 go 16MB DDR

Please can someone check it out for me please?

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=306422

Thanks in advance

Yours ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It should last for about 3 hrs

But with a cd going constant and a usb sidewinder plugged in never mind 2..... less again.

My laptop at the minute is a gateway but the good thing about it is the auto car adapter.

Plug into a cigarette lighter and you have full power and recharging on the move.

I did get a pdf file sent to me from Toshiba with sys specs.

If someone wants to take a look at it and give me an opinion on it

it would be great.

Just e-mail me

Thx again yours.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Umm sorry to bump this guys....
but if someone would give me an opinion on this
from the above url it would be great
NOBODY has over £3 grand to waste
Especially not me :(
I saved for a long time
thanks in advance yours ...

·
Registered
116 Posts
This intel 815em chipset isn't bad, i'm running an 810e and i get a solid 60 fps for all games, (execpt during battle transitions in cc), so it isn't too bad, plus it's cheaper. Oh yeah, i'm only running a a p3 at 600 and i've had no problems. (pete's d3d dx6 plugin is the best for it)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I see a lot of computer hardware due to my job, and i remeber a few years back that i had a REAL bad experience with some Toshiba Satalite laptops, dont know how they are right now though, havnt seen many come through. I have sean a lot of NEC's, and they dont seam bad, although the best ive sean has to be IBM, of course this is all from the perspective of a service tech, the IBM have given my the least amount of hasle in repairing, and i havnt sean to many go bad, those things are tanks, had one that fell down the stairs and it still worked (almost, had a few gliches in the LCD). 1Gig is the standard for the proccessors, id stick with intel, but ive also heard some good news from some of the smaller "no name" chip manufactuers. STAY AWAY from any Cyrixes, if they even still make them. Intel chipsets not bad, also heard good stuff about VIA, but thats from desttops not laptops. Video is definatly gotta bee nVidea, havnt sean any other company do a decent job of Mobile video chips. Only issue with the Mobile processors is that your 1Ghz, quickly becomes a 866 or worse as the heat rises do to the Thermal-Stepping technology they use to keep the things from overheating. 16 Megs dedicated VRam is pretty good, 32 would be better, but i dont think ive ever sean that yet. Sorry but my company isnt realy geared towards gamers, i see mostly bussiness laptops go throught, peeps interested in stability and easy repair rather than speed or proformance. Hope this helps, any specific Q's ask away, ive found everyone on this board to be extrememly helpfull.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
: Mobile 1GHz Pentium III with SpeedStep technology and 256Kb of on-die Level 2 cache, 256Mb of PC100 SDRAM, Intel 815E motherboard chipset, removable 32Gb IBM Travelstar hard disk, 8x Toshiba DVD-ROM, media bay floppy drive,+ another cd drive with a CDRW so you can direct copy with 2 drives at the same time 32Mb AGP 4x nVIDIA GeForce2 Go graphics, 15in UXGA TFT screen, goes 2 1600* 1200 ESS Maestro-3E audio, Harman/ Kardon stereo speakers, mini-PCI 3Com V.90 modem and 10/100BaseTX Ethernet adaptor, two Type II PC Card slots, plus ports for VGA, serial, paralleI, PS/2, lEEE-1394, S-Video out and USB, Windows ME, Microsoft Works Suite 2000, MGI VideoWave III. Dimensions: 331 x 276 x 45mm (W x D x H). Weight: 3.9kg.

Has any body got sometjing to say about this as I think that this one is the bomb.

Does anybody know about Dell are they ok ???

Thanks again to everybody for all the help

Yours ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Think ive already seen this, but ill post again, just in case, Ya that looks like kick ass, i dont know about the cost, whats the conversion in US. For a laptop like that id say about 4000 in US $ would be ok, unless you can find one that "fell" off a truck, those are usualy MUCH cheaper :). As for the brand name, havnt heard anything "bad" about Dell, in fact, havnt heard much of anything at all concerning that manufacture, i gues no news is good news. If you got the cash, GO FOR IT. id love to have a laptop like that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was talking with the manager at Babbages, and he recently picked himself up a really nice laptop. He said it smokes the hell out of his home machine, and didn't have a bad word to say about it. If you'd like, I can ask him make and model for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please man that would be great though I have 2 say that I think this laptop here will be great.

Also I found out that the Dell company have a base company in Limerick Which is only a few miles away from me.
But who knows maybe there is a
64MB geforce 2 go out there somewhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it

I am typing on it right now the dell from the above config is in my hands.

It is a great laptop I bought it through the buisness so it cost me £2600.00

I had spiderman running at 1600*1200 at 32bpp with all graphics settings maxed out and running at 50FPS.

Does anybody have anyideas on the kinda plugins I should try based on the previous post with my specs.

Thanks again for all the help .

Yours....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does amd makes cpu for laptop, it would be the best. They can transfer at 233mhz iinstead of 133 (well the 1.3ghz at least). They also have more cache.... and, they cost less

1 - 20 of 20 Posts