Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new so please don't flame me because my question (or my bad english *g*).

I have a VIA EPIA-M Motherboard with an Eden CPU at 1 GHz and actual about 256 MB RAM. This Motherboard has an Onboad-Graphicchip with MPEG2-Decoder.

Now i tried to play for example Final Fantasy 8 on this Mini-PC... but it didn't run fast enough. The sound and also the graphics didn't perfom very well. It was playable - but not pretty.

Well, my question:
Would you say 1 GHz is enough to emulate a Playstation 1 (which has only 33 MHz!!) an I should try a better Graphiccard (GeForce 3, 4?) or should I forget this project?

· Narcissist
725 Posts
Don't fall into the trap of a direct comparison of speed (MHz). Each system has a different architecture. The PSX does only a narrow set of things on a fixed hardware platform, whereas the PC, on top of juggling wildly varying tasks, also has to work with tons of different other hardware (sound cards, video cards, scsi, etc...). :rolleyes:

Obviously emulation works, as you have seen. Whether it is fast enough for your purposes is up to you. Personally, I'd get more RAM and a standalone card - anything onboard basically sucks. My old pentium 3-933/512 ram was just fine with ePSXe. As long as you are content with 'speed' settings and not trying for max prettiness. Frankly, I was thankful that the emu ran smoothly at all.

With a bit of extra ram and a fairly cheap not-too-old video card, you should be good to go.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Go with Celine's advice. A standalone graphics card will be a huge improvement over the onboard video chip. Also, have you tried Pete's software plugin?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thank you all very much for the fast answere.
I've allready tried with a standalone GeForce2 (32MB RAM) ... which was a little bit slower than my onboard graphiccard oO

However, I'll try a GeForce FX 5200 with 128MB and upgrade temporarly to 512 MB RAM.

I don't want to play with highres or something else.

Another question: I read in antother topic, that a 640x480 resolution is about twice the original PS1 resolution. Is this true?

Can I improve my performance with a lower resolution?
Ok, I believe I can do this. But which resolution is the optimum?

Thanx a lot!

René

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
i played FF9 for a bit with a Sempron 2200+ (same as athlon thoroughbred 1700+) and a Geforce2 MX and it worked, making an ISO helped out though.

and yes, the PSX usually ran in 320x240, sometimes 320x224 though.

you can improve your performance with a lower resolution but it will look ugly. i'd recommend 640x480 as a decent resolution.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I think you can't compare a Semperon 2200+ with a VIA Epia-M 10000 with 1 GHz ;)

I think 320x240 is ok for me, because the ePSXe runs on a 8,4" LCD with a native resolution of 800x600. It sure would be ugly on a 21" monitor *gg*

I'll post my ePSXe-Configuration later, when I've access to my device.
At the moment I'm @office ;)

· <font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
6,122 Posts
lower resolution than 640x480 never helps on performance in my opinion, 640x480 is like the bare minimum

· Registered
9 Posts
Just two things.

1. Clock per clock, the VIA processors are quite a bit slower than pentium 3s, athlon xps, athlon 64s, and pentium 4s.

2. You used a geforce 2 with your system? Where did you find a VIA EPIA with an agp slot. I ask because I am interested in an ITX system, but I don't really know where to get alot of info about them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.