Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, so I've been trying to get ffx-2 cutscenes to play right (which might be an exercise in futility, but hey...)
so, they look fine in software mode but run kinda slow - about 70-78% so of course the audio sounds terrible :p
this is on sw threads 1 though, so I figured that switching it to 2 would help enough, but for some reason doing so completely killed the performance (down to 40-50% or so.) I'm probably doing something really stupid, but I can't figure it out...
everything works fine in hardware mode (besides the horribly lined cutscenes) at 58-60 fps.
ffx and ffxii are the same story (though software mode isn't needed for either, I tried just to test) software mode with 2 threads is slower (though by a small margin) and definately more erratic - spiking from 80% to 110% in ffx, whereas with 1 thread its a constant 99%...
any ideas?

Setup:
GSdx 1474 SSE4.1 0.1.15, DirectX10 software mode
PCSX2 1474 (speed hacks pretty much all enabled - though with or without doesn't appear to make too much difference)
SPU2-X 1.1.0 (Default Settings)

PC:
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.66ghz
Radeon 4650
4gb RAM
Vista 32bit

not sure if more info is needed... thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
it depends on how many cores the cpu has since the threads need to run at the same time and running mutilple threads where the cpu doesnt have enough speed or cores it will go slower since the cpu isnt powerful enough to process all the threads concurrently

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhm yeah, you have 2 cores with that cpu. Pcsx2 uses (roughly) one of them, so the only working number of threads you can set GSdx to is ..1.. :p
hah, great now I feel stupid >.< thought I'd read somewhere that there wasn't much difference between a quadcore and dualcore for pcsx2... so I figured it was possible to use 2 ^^; guess that was referring to hardware mode maybe...
anyway, thanks for the help! :D
will mess around a bit more to try and get some more speed then just give up on cutscenes :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.