Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=838

"The United States Supreme Court, in a unanimous ruling, disagreed with two lower court rulings. Today’s opinion agrees with the MPAA and RIAA contention that P2P developers are responsible for the infringing activities of its users. The decision is a serious setback for commercial file-sharing companies, who were hoping a favorable Supreme Court decision would give the necessary leverage to negotiate a distribution agreement with the RIAA and MPAA."

Stupid RIAA...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
They will never stop the flow or pron:).I disagree with their reterded decision.,

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
While I agree P2P companies are basically in it to help spread warez..I mean no one can honestly think they didn't know it would be the major use.
The MPAA and RIAA are fighting a losing battle. Even if they succeed in stopping P2P, there are far to many other outlets..
Plus there are invasion of privacy laws that could potential be broken if they try to get your info, or invade your PC without a warrent.
Class action lawsuits could be filed if enough people were violated...

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
my sentiments exactly mike. Besides if your going to pirate stuff do it in a social setting outside of your bed room... LAN PARTY!!!

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
So does this mean I can be sued if I develop a decentralised P2P system better then bittorrent that is used for mostly widespread piracy even if it's intended to be used for other things like linux distros or publishing free media outside of my control within the US?

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Player-X said:
So does this mean I can be sued if I develop a decentralised P2P system better then bittorrent that is used for mostly widespread piracy even if it's intended to be used for other things like linux distros or publishing free media outside of my control within the US?
From what I understand, no. Quoting one of the judges:

We hold that one who distributes a device with the object of promoting its use to infringe copyright, as shown by clear expression or other affirmative steps taken to foster infringement, is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by third parties
They're essentially saying: You can't defend yourself with possible legitimate uses (aka Betamax Doctrine, Fair Use) if your marketing is telling people your tool is great for copyright infringement.

[]s Badaro

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
i have a feeling that the program "Warez P2P" has kindof given away it's intent :p

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
YEAH!! SUPREME COURT AGAINST PAY 2 PLAY GAMES!!!WOO WE'LL PLAY FOR FREE! :D

heh seriously thats what I thought at the beginning but what dukenukem said, whorez is unstoppable.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I disagree with this descision, but it doesn't affect me anyway. Their ruling isn't applicable to free open source P2Ps like eMule and Bittorrent, which are the only P2Ps I use these days. In all honesty, I'm not all that sorry to see a few spyware/adware ridden commercial P2P programs get shut down.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You know what really sucks about this? A lot of sites use Bittorrent mirrors, because they don't use website bandwith (except for dl/ing the torrent) and then, people also share as they download it, thus allowing for more speed to be distributed on that mirror. Saves the person who runs the site some bandwith, and allows the peers to still get a decent download speed.

Now, with this law, Bittorrent is illegal, and this is just freakin horrible... Kevin Rose's new show Systm uses Bittorrent for their high-qual mirrors, to not put so much strain on the server. Now we might be seeing a lot of low quality content that web sites put up, because of the inability to take advantage of these apps. Even distros of Linux are put on Bittorrent by their creators, because of the fact that they dont need to waste webspace/bandwith on it.

This is a huge step in the WRONG direction..

·
Registered
774 Posts
*Sigh* I was expecting this. A lot of people are getting out of this descision that they made all P2P apps illegal, but this is simply not the case. All it says is that P2P companies can be made liable for copywrited content shared on their network, and even then only if they advertise the copywright infrigining capabilities of the program as a feature and/or profit from the infringement of copywrights on the network. So first of all, Bittorrent is completely safe since it's not a big network to begin with, but rather a tool for creating a small network to share a specific file or files. This ruling will likely branch out into making Bittorent trackers responsible for what files they track, but this was already the case anyway. For Bittorent trackers who do not host copywrighted files without permission, this ruling has no affect.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
...really? How? Do you pay for one of the services you use?

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
The user doesn't pay, the advertisers that paste their crap all over your screen do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts