Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to put this in OD because it didn't fit within the emulation news, and isn't related to emulation.

DC Evolution said:
Fleischer Studios, later called Famous Studios after being acquired by Paramount, produced seventeen Superman cartoons and were shown to Cinema audiences between 1941 and 1943. For those not acquainted with the history of entertainment, it was typical for movie theatres to show at least one short cartoon before the feature film, which has since been replaced with straight advertising. This was the original venue for the Superman cartoons, though they have appeared on television since then.

The Superman cartoons now reside in the public domain so we've gathered together the complete set of 17 and thrown them together for you on one Dreamcast CD image. The CD contains DCDivX by Mark Dukette, which is an MP3 player and DivX (AVI) movie player for the Dreamcast, this has enabled us to bring you the entire collection of Superman cartoons on one CD, DCDivX also has disc swap capabilities so you can swap the CD with your MP3 or movie collection CD's (please note that your movies will need to be encoded to suit DCDivX's limitations).

The Cartoons:

* Superman [10:22 mins] September 26, 1941
* The Mechanical Monsters [10:14 mins] November 28, 1941
* Billion Dollar Limited [8:35 mins] January 9, 1942
* The Arctic Giant [8:35 mins] February 27, 1942
* The Bulleteers [8:02 mins] March 27, 1942
* The Magnetic Telescope [7:38 mins] April 24, 1942
* Electric Earthquake [8:42 mins] May 15, 1942
* Volcano [7:56 mins] July 10, 1942
* Terror on the Midway [8:03 mins] August 28, 1942
* Japoteurs [9:05 mins] September 18, 1942
* Showdown [8:14 mins] October 16, 1942
* Eleventh Hour [7:58 mins] November 20, 1942
* Destruction, Inc. [8:32 mins] December 25, 1942
* The Mummy Strikes [7:46 mins] February 19, 1943
* Jungle Drums [8:00 mins] March 26, 1943
* The Underground World [8:13 mins] June 18, 1943
* Secret Agent [7:39 mins] July 30, 1943

Credits
Image presented by: The DCEvolution Team
The whole image can be found by clicking here. Of course all videos can be viewed on you pc as well.

Enjoy :D

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Infact I have question this. The original owner of the copyright would have to be dead for 50 years for the copyright to now void and the cartoons in the public domain, unless he put it in his will that the copyright passed on to someone else or the company that owned the copyright kept it going beyond his death.

He would have to hand the copyright out to the public domain, or the company just let the copyright slide for them to now be available to the public. From memory he didn't die until somewhere in the 1970's? thus you're looking at 202x for the copyright to be void.

Of course I could be well and truly wrong, but indeed why the hell on a DC? I ponder if the fanboys will ever quit flogging the dead horse :p

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cloudvii said:
Cool. But I wonder.... Why DC?
Because it's DC Evolution and not PS2 Evolution?

CK said:
Infact I have question this. The original owner of the copyright would have to be dead for 50 years for the copyright to now void and the cartoons in the public domain, unless he put it in his will that the copyright passed on to someone else or the company that owned the copyright kept it going beyond his death.

He would have to hand the copyright out to the public domain, or the company just let the copyright slide for them to now be available to the public. From memory he didn't die until somewhere in the 1970's? thus you're looking at 202x for the copyright to be void.

Of course I could be well and truly wrong, but indeed why the hell on a DC? I ponder if the fanboys will ever quit flogging the dead horse:p
Are you questioning if this is all legit or not? Just grab it as long as you have the chance, just in case :p

And what are you aiming for with that pondering of yours? You waiting for me to tell you it ain't dead? FYI there are still two games to be released for Q1 this year ;)

·
Back to regular business
3,317 Posts
Am I the only one thinking that Superman looks pretty dumb on those pictures?
I mean, look at this:

Anyway, cool stuff you found there. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
F-3582 said:
Am I the only one thinking that Superman looks pretty dumb on those pictures?
I mean, look at this:

Anyway, cool stuff you found there. Thanks alot.
gotta remember the animation art style back in the 40's...that was basically what he looked like in the comic too

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
I own a dreamcast and have several games for it, and it even still works. Fanboys can 'meh meh meh' over 'texture quality', but frankly the PS2 and the GC get the loving, better games, more games, better controllers, better media support, better memorycards...hell just about better everything, the DC died in limbo eons ago....

Oh god what have I just said, I'm going to get spanked silly by Cid, the only game I play regulary on the DC is that damn weird Tennis / tetris hybrid game that I can't remember the name of atm, and Rez, but Rez is on PS2 ergo I can't think of any major reason to play my DC these days :p

Superman some people call a 'true here' as he naturally has these powers / is a 'superhero' all the time and must disguise himself as a regular human, rather than many 'heros' that have to dress up to become a the hero figure.

Frankly I still think in those cartoons and the feature films he's a daft twit wearing his pants outside of his lycra suit and is scared of green crystals :p

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
CKemu said:
I own a dreamcast and have several games for it, and it even still works. Fanboys can 'meh meh meh' over 'texture quality', but frankly the PS2 and the GC get the loving, better games, more games, better controllers, better media support, better memorycards...hell just about better everything, the DC died in limbo eons ago....
This is more about DC homebrew, I think.... and I think it's pretty cool that people develop stuff for it, just like it happens for Xbox.....

Oh god what have I just said, I'm going to get spanked silly by Cid, the only game I play regulary on the DC is that damn weird Tennis / tetris hybrid game that I can't remember the name of atm, and Rez, but Rez is on PS2 ergo I can't think of any major reason to play my DC these days :p
Cosmic Smash?

Frankly I still think in those cartoons and the feature films he's a daft twit wearing his pants outside of his lycra suit and is scared of green crystals :p
Batman is funnier anyway ;)

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Cosmic Smash thats the one, I had to dig around in my pile of 'gaming bits' to find the box for it.....played it this morning to, still got the knack for it *phew*.

Batman isn't a super hero, no powers, and certainly no truly evil enemies, just some daft circus freaks to take down. Mind you he's got fairly decent tastes in women :p

PS2 and GC homebrew dev is certainly around, but way less due to the complexities involved, though the open SDK for PS2 has a pretty huge following over at PS2dev. I must say that xbox and DC shine for homebrew, mainly because the xbox is a glorified PC, and the DC....well it needs 'something' :evil:

More on topic, I must say I wish they showed cartoons before film starts these days, I get tired of adverts and 'piracy is evil' as intros. It'd be nice if they used the space to put up students work, people who are trying to break into the animation or film business, or give me a good episode of X-Men any day!

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
CKemu said:
Cosmic Smash thats the one, I had to dig around in my pile of 'gaming bits' to find the box for it.....played it this morning to, still got the knack for it *phew*.

Batman isn't a super hero, no powers, and certainly no truly evil enemies, just some daft circus freaks to take down. Mind you he's got fairly decent tastes in women :p
all the more reasons why he's funnier ;)

PS2 and GC homebrew dev is certainly around, but way less due to the complexities involved, though the open SDK for PS2 has a pretty huge following over at PS2dev. I must say that xbox and DC shine for homebrew, mainly because the xbox is a glorified PC, and the DC....well it needs 'something' :evil:
Hm.... ;)
I'd have liked to see a game that used the DC's hardware's full potential though....I don't know how close Shenmue got to that....

More on topic, I must say I wish they showed cartoons before film starts these days, I get tired of adverts and 'piracy is evil' as intros. It'd be nice if they used the space to put up students work, people who are trying to break into the animation or film business, or give me a good episode of X-Men any day!
Yeah, it's silly...If you visit a cinema or buy a DVD you have to put up with those piracy warnings, if you download them you don't =P
Cartoons would be better ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.