Next Generation Emulation banner

sum help plz?

2K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  e-ternity 
#1 ·
i'm getting a new computer, custom, but i dun't kno wuts gd...
all i kno is 256mb ram is ok....(mite add sum more) and the processor....p4 1.5ghz, are there ne other processors thats gd? (winXP)

-----------------------
my comp rite now
win98 was ME until i lost cd....
p3 500mhz 256mb ram
creative 3d blaster savage4
sound blaster live value

#4 ·
sure a P4 is fast but power over price wise Athlon XP is better and is even faster even an Athlon XP 1.5 GHz can out bench a P4 2GHz now if you want a good dream setup i'll give you one (budget mustn't be an issue):
Athlon XP processor any speed the higher the better
Shuttle AK31 KT266A Mobo or try any nForce Mobo that is yet to come out
512MB DDRAM
GeForce 3 Ti500
SB Audigy Platinum/Player w/ any nice 5.1 speakers
a fast HD
and a huge Monitor!!!
now that is a system!!!:D

#5 ·
Originally posted by iEvolutions
how is it a pos? isn't it fast?
It's as fast as a strolling turtle with broken legs.... ;) just kidding....

Sure, it's 1.5Ghz... but numbers are just that, marketing ploy... like what aoshi said, an Athlon 1.5Ghz kills a P4 2Ghz.. why? Architectural differences. Intel rushed the P4 out the door so as to be able to remain competitive with AMD... but in the process, they cut a lot of corners and as a result, the P4 is s**tty in so many ways it's not even funny.

#6 ·
They're right. AMD and Intel followed different paths: Intel wants higher frequencies(more clocks per second), but they have less instructions per clock. AMD's cpus has more instructions per clock, less clocks per second. However, Pentium IV has others bad points, like the weak ALU. AMD's Athlon is better than PIV, and Athlon XP is even better. Not to mention that it's much cheaper too.

#7 · (Edited)
hahaha.....
nvr new p4 is so sucky...
alrite.....is there nething wrong with p3....lol
um....also wuts Shuttle AK31 KT266A Mobo and ta nForce?
also while surfin ta forum....i came by a post bout sum guy havin spd problems.....neways in his specs it said winXP (no comments i had enough alrdy) or sumthing like tat.....
is there nething rong wit XP? and um......wen u guys post yur stuff for a gd comp could ya give a estimate for ta price? tat way it'll b ez'ier for me 2 find out how much i nd 2 get

#9 ·
I think he's just been holding a mobile phone for too long. :p

#13 · (Edited)
yeah wutever...
neways this is wut i got so far....

WinXP Home Version......
AthlonXP duno wut spd yet.....
256mb ram....
nVidia Geforce3.......
Creat SB audigy platinum...
TDK VeloCD rewriter 24x/10x/40x...
LG cdrom drive 52x EIDE 75MS CRD-8522BI......
my friend gave me an estimate of $1180.00 (cdn)
[just added]
logitech internet navigator keyboard n optical wheel mouse
cyber acoustics CA-3000 (sorry forgot about picture)
new total is $1210.00
also how much is a 40gb hd?

so....rite now i'm pretty shocked.....n kinda angry....i paid almost 3g's for this peice of junk...(bought this in 1999 i think..)
things tat came with my cpu....17" monitor, bjc2000 printer, GNT subwoofer sys (GNT-5000), regular keyboard n mouse(nothing fancy) also b4 i had only 64mb ram.....dam sales person took out my 64mb n put in 256 instead of adding....gota beat him black n blue.....wutever...he's 2 far...

#14 ·
ok...
i'm guessing u guys don't know what i'm saying in my 3rd post so....let me repeat (kinda)
whats Shuttle AK31 KT266A mobo and nForce...
and also...is there anything wrong with winXP.....because some guy wrote this winXP (no comment please, i've had enough already)
or something like that...

#15 ·
>whats Shuttle AK31 KT266A mobo and nForce...

well Shuttle AK31 KT266A mobo or MOther BOard or where you are gonna put all those things that you ar going to buy! it is a top rated board for the Athlon XP based on the VIA KT266A chipset the nForce is a motherboard chipset by nvidia that is yet to be released to the market but test conducted on some sites yielded great results but I guess you are in a hurry for a new PC so I won't suggest it anymore

and about WinXP: sure it is nice but is not very compatible witth old games if you know an expert why don't you ask him to dual boot your system to Win98 and WinXP for better compatibility

#17 · (Edited)
heh..
looks like i'm in a hurry eh?
i'm just finding out the prices 1st...
yea....so....how much would a 40gig hd and a 17" lcd monitor(anyones r gd)

also...is it worth gettin a high speed burner like the one i posted....my friend says an 8x burner is alright......
so....yea....do u guys kno any good burners ?

is the pricing i got anywhere near what its suppose to be?

#18 ·
>yea....so....how much would a 40gig hd and a 17" lcd monitor(anyones r gd)

about as much money as you would spend on a mid-range PC lcd monitors are EXPENSIVE (personally i dont like the way most LCD monitors show graphics)

>so....yea....do u guys kno any good burners ?

Plextor is nice, i heard they are recommended by warez pirates(or piraters? what's the correct way of saying it?)

#20 · (Edited)
uh....
what???
are u saying u made your p3 chip work faster??
what n who makes tualatin???
n also my friend says if i'm gettin a AthlonXP 1.8ghz(think thats what it is....so bad in numbers..) i'll b needing more ram...is this true??

as u can see.....i'm dumb as something.....i don't know much about computers on inside....but i know how 2 work em....

*woot*woot*
i finally got a star, so happy....lol

#21 ·
tualatin is the .13 micron designed pentium 3. it comes in two varieties. one with 256k cache and one with 512k cache. They perform on par or slightly better than the amd athlons at equal speeds.

i believe threre is a post on fsb here. you should read it. fsb = front side bus. the fsb nd clock multipliers dictate what speed data flows into your processor.

my pentium 3 1000E is the latest stepping cD0. The clcok multiplier is locked at 10 and the standard frequency is 100 mhz.

100mhz fsb x 10 multiplier =1000 mhz

mine is at

124 mhz fsb x 10 multiplier = 1240 mhz

All pentium processors have their multipliers locked. the standard frequency is denoted by E being 100 mhz and EB being 133.

a p3 1000E has a 10 multiplier
a p3 1000EB has a 7.5 multiplier

some of the athlon processors do not have their multipliers locked so the multiplier along with the fsb can be adjusted. the new athlon xp chips are however multiplier locked. they can be unlocked but this involves conecting bridges on the chip. something a newbie sould not try.

currently the athlon xp 1800 (1.5ghz) is a good buy because its cheaper than the P4 2ghz and performs about the same.

in a couple of months intel is suppose to release the new pentium 4 northwood chips which feature a 512k cache and have speeds in excess of 2ghz. the p4 northwood and xeon are suppose to take andvantage of some new buzzword called hyperthreading which will allow them to run faster.

athlon often beats the higher mhz p4 at benchmarks because most software has yet to optimize for sse2 and mmx2?? instructions. the extra instruction sets on the p4 make the data pipeline longer than athlon so it takes the p4 slightly longer to do a calculation but the data is traveling at a faster rate. hard to explain.

thats enough for now. i'd put in a link to a good site for you to check out but i dont know what the rules on the board are since i only occationally stop by.

good luck

#23 · (Edited)
also...
should i just go for a reg monitor??
here's what i want.....either a lcd or flat panel....
since lcd's r EXPENSIVE (can't find ne low prices)
its either a flat panel or a norm moniter...

nvm.....reason y i came here was 2 get sum help for the cpu....
so....yea....thx for your help everyone...

#24 ·
you would probably get a lot more hardware help if you visited a hardware forum like overclockers.com or hardocp.com

I have a hitachi superscan 643 monitor and i love it. its not a flatscreen either.

when you go to buy stuff check out
www.pricewatch.com

and make sure to go to
www.resellerratings.com
to check up on how people think of the company before you buy.

if you want a list of some good vendors just keep this thread alive and i'll give you some links to places i've had good luck with.

#25 ·
Originally posted by ebola
mine is at

124 mhz fsb x 10 multiplier = 1240 mhz

currently the athlon xp 1800 (1.5ghz) is a good buy because its cheaper than the P4 2ghz and performs about the same.

athlon often beats the higher mhz p4 at benchmarks because most software has yet to optimize for sse2 and mmx2?? instructions. the extra instruction sets on the p4 make the data pipeline longer than athlon so it takes the p4 slightly longer to do a calculation but the data is traveling at a faster rate. hard to explain.
Congrats on getting a 0.18 micron p3 to operate at that speed.

The AthlonXP1800+ runs at 1.53Ghz.

The extra instructions are not what cause the p4 pipeline to be longer. It's longer because they designed it like that. What you're trying to say is that it does less work per cycle than an athlon, and so needs to be clocked higher to reach the same performance.
As for SSE2 instructions.. where are the apps? I'll go with the cheaper and faster cpu right now, rather than wait for support that may be around in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.