Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Suikoden II crash [Update : fixed ^_^ ]

Hello !

(the contents of this post were first in a reply to another thread, but later I prefered to make my own fresh thread)

I get an error in Suikoden II after the Bone-Dragon battle.

An error in "NVOpenGLPuffer:ePSXe.exe" read on memory.
or
SPEC Opcode 01 UNK
(PC 0010da8c) (0010da88) (5685510,37)

This does not seem to be related to epsxe's config : you see, I tried versions 1.5.2 and 1.6.0, tried three different video plugins, tried without sound, with two cd plugins, tried with original CD and with the ISO on my harddisk (but the CD is quite old and damaged), and got the same message problem.

Three threads were related to that topic :
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59165
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41616
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49772

Reading this forum, I have found out a few useful things,
alas they didn't work for me, please let me explain :

-> the problem would be with the savestates. The solution would be to save to a memcard, then load the memcard into another emulator, pass the buggy point, and then resume using epsxe
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41616
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49772

-> My problem is that for my five savestates, when I want to save onto a memcard, while epsx is checking the memcards, so it says, the emulator crashes the same way !.
SPEC Opcode 1f UNK (PC000000d4) (000000c0) (9535882,154)
So I cannot even save on a memcard, NOOOOO !

-> Another solution would be to try opening an ePSXe savestate with another emulator, so as to save to a memcard with that other emulator.
But how could I find emulators recognizing ePSXe savestates ? I tried PSXeven but without success alas.

-> I also read that downgrading the FPS limit would help. Ten pix per second won't change anything.

Please, i'm really desperate, how could I make it ?

To worsen it all, I'm playing on a FRENCH VERSION of Suikoden...
I guess not so many persons would have it on their computer so pass the buggy part with their own CD for me v_v
But if someone has it on french version, could I perhaps send you my savestates and you would try to pass for the the hazardous part ? A few seconds of gaming would be enough !

Thanks a lot to whoever will reply me :thumb:

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
well at least you did your research. obviously this problem happens A LOT. it's not a faulty pirate version because people getting it off the CD get it too. so....i dont know. have someone else pass it for you. i dont have suikoden you're out of luck with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Hushypushy, and thanks for the fast reply :)

Too bad you cannot solve it for me, but it's okay, I didn't expect an instant miracle to happen :rolleyes:

But yet, at least one thing, do you know if save states can be used on another computer, just like memcards ?
Or would only memcards work on another machine, to allow to load the game ?

Besides, can epsxe savestates work on another emulator, using a trick ?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
save states can be transferred between computers. it just goes by the SLUS number so....

anyone can load the save state even if they dont have the game. of course, if it loads the save state and the game isnt in, when it goes to load the game it will crash ;)

there's http://www.emulationzone.org/savestates/ for some save states...there's also another really good one for PSX emulation but i cant remember the name of it :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once again, than you for your kind replies :)

Alas, I checked those sites (and I could add gamefaqs to that list, by the way) and none of them had savestates or memcards for my french version of Suikoden.
I'm starting to curse the day I chose to buy a translated version, it isn't even correctly translated, for half of the sentences of the game I have to make a reverse french -> english translation (and then english -> real french) to understand what the dialogs mean.

I started downloading two other french CD images of Suikoden II, maybe with one of those it will work...

Else, i made a savestate folder backup about twelve hours earlier in the game...
I would have the pain of having to do it all over again :(

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Even if they did work, you wouldn't get any help from us regarding those images. NGEmu doesn't tolerate piracy so please read the [rules]rules[/rules]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it piracy, downloading a game that I bought in store, only because it really seems my original CD has one scratch too much on it, so I need a "new" version of it ? It starts being another debate, I guess.
But anyway, if the rules state it, I won't have another word about ways to find a game ISO. Rules are rules.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
In order for it to be legal, you have to make an image from the CD you own. If you own the CD but you download an image of the same game, it's illegal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I already said : OKAY. Rules are rules, I don't want to argue or start a discussion against your rules.

I'd prefer to solve my problem, sigh.

Back to my problem :
I tried another thing, load my game, play for half an hour in other parts of the map, and then save in a far-away town : same problem again.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Has it always failed even if you don't use savestates? Have you tried playing using only memcards? (edited)savestates(/edited) ain't that reliable, so it might be related. If memcards simply don't work with ePSXe for this game, you should consider starting over on another emu, like PSXeven.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I-Chan said:
Has it always failed even if you don't use savestates?
Well, I-Chan, alas my five savestates are very close in time, only fifteen minutes of difference between SS1 and SS5. And for every of those save states I get that error when I try to save my game or when I kill a precise boss (and the scenario won't allow to avoid to kill it). Thus, that means that I have no possibility to save my game into a memcard and/or use ePSXeCutor's memcard manager to export the memcard into PSXeven.

I've been playing Suikoden II for already around 50 hours and so far it worked perfectly with savestates, without any memcard use.
I didn't play using ePSXeCutor's memcard management. Because epsxe's basic memcards were erased every time I closed ePSXe, I chose to use savestates instead of memcards. I wish I had known (I discovered it making tests after my crash point) that ePSXeCutor would allow to use memcards that wouldn't be erased every time ePSXe restarts, too bad it was so late, but that's life.

you should consider starting over on another emu, like PSXeven.
Fortunately, 12 gaming hours earlyer, I had met a very hard part for me, and "just in case" I would screw everything up including my savestates, I had made a complete backup of the savestates folder.
Thanks to that, I can copy that folder back into epsxe's native folder and resume my game with just twelve hours lost, with that slight difference that now i'll be regularly saving into a memcard managed by ePSXeCutor. And when I reach the crash point, i'll export the savestate into ePSXeven... praying that it will work this time, even though for this I have no guarantee at all :???:

I guess time will tell.. I hope i'm not gonna waste another twelve hours playing to meet the same bug with ePSXeven ! :evil:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time for some news, I guess :

I tried with another CD (finally I found a friend who had bought the game too, and his CD was in a much better state of conservation than mine) and I had EXACTLY the same bug at the same spot.

That leads me to this conclusion : that bug is solely originated from savestates, and does not depend on the quality of the CD. Well, in my own case of course.

I started my game again from my last backup, twelve gaming hours earlier.

Besides, I must consider myself lucky...
Now that I work with memcards, I save pretty less often into savestates.
And yet, three gaming hours later, I already had twice the SpecOp bug while trying to save (much probably because I saved from times to times into a savestate that I loaded, i'm doing a few quests in which savestates are still damn useful), every time that forced me to resume a memcard-saved game 5-10 minutes earlier (small loss :laugh: ).
(BTW, why do I still use savestates at all ? -> Because in average, ePSXe freezes once every two hours, so just in case I have the "let's save" reflex)
It seems it was a miracle I didn't get a Spec Opcode mistake before my 50th gaming hour o_O
Funny, in a way :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since all five of the savestates have all the same problem (the crash after the fight with the bone dragon OR the Specop crash when trying to save) I don't know if it can be called "corruption"...

More likely it should be called a bug somewhere between Suikoden II and ePSXe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FINALLY !

I reached, using memcards, the point where my ePSXe Suikoden II crashed... and it worked ! ^_^

Thanks a lot to the people on this board :eek:) :wub:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same problem with both ePSXe 1.6.0 and PSXeven 0.19, even twice actually.
First time during the last battle with Neclord, and second time after beating Bone Dragon.

The solution is simple, you dont need to load from memory card or anything, you can save as many savestates as you wish before you encounter the boss but once the battle against the bone dragon (or neclord) starts, do not save during it even once.
That fixed the problem in both fights for me.

PS: I know this thread is pretty old, but I decided to post this for future reference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi! Im encountering the same problem yet again :(.

Same spot, bone dragon.

@previous post
I tried doing that, but still nothing happened. I tried loading it where i saved it (as in you really load your saved game, the guard in greenhill), but still nothing happened. I still get the Opcode error.

Help? :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts