Next Generation Emulation banner
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Emulators get *improvements*. Speed and compat increases dont count as foundationshaking emu scene innovations.

Rather than fight on why 'picking' on pcsx2, allow me to remind that unless the emu award category changes, there's a very high possibility there will be no change this year.
Is this bad? No. Emus who get votes certainly would've deserved these anyway.
Hence, it basically just turns into a fight for 3rd place. Not very appropriate, considering other emus 'competing' get no mention in award results.
Unless the podium gets 5 places or more, nothing much in it would probably change.

While seeing some difference after years of similar results, it always are these emus that generate the most hype, that get podiumed. Hype is certainly worth keeping in consideration with candidates. Voting would settle things, but pitting pcsx2 against its netplay component as 'hot stuff of the year' would itself just turn it back into 'your most worshipped emu', once again...

MOST IMPORTANT POINT : Awards time is a time to *RECAPITULATE* what happened in the last year. To gather the community as a whole for that timeframe, not to have it bickering on how award results have/might've been rigged for some unfair reason.

A short 3 lines just giving only a few emu names that were deemed to be the only ones deserving of posting space, wouldn't do this objective justice.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Well If pcsx2 gets to compete with other projects this year, then as I said before I want some kind of reward for second and third place winners.
So people can take notice that there are a lot of good projects going now, besides pcsx2.

I'm speaking a little ahead, but wouldn't it be okay if the awards results get posted on the main page?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Those features / updates are not available to the public, do these count?
thats why i said about aes... HOWEVER, A.E.S is more a multimedia software than emulator... well whatever, i see the point, PCSX2 will win again. hell, i hate ps2 emulation! :p

and looool welcome godwin :D:D

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
>* Nintendo's Virtual console for bringing emulation to the mainstream
>* Ps2 emulation in the ps3 to "reduce" console prices (even though it didn't really )
This is to reward the emu scene/community, not recapitulate, sony and nintendo's tryouts rolling out crippled emu capabilities for their consoles.
Sorry, but it looks like my point got lost due to my lousy examples. I was basically trying to come up with at least three examples, I guess I just illustrated how out of the loop I've gotten after being absent for the majority of this year. :(

Anyways my point was if the award is "innovation of the year", then the nominations should be for "innovative work within projects" not just the project as a whole. Otherwise you might as well just call the award "emulator of the year" and be done with it. Actually now that I think of it, if we are to take that thought further to its conclusion we should instead of naming the project name the individual(s) who came up with the innovation.

*edit* NM I just saw the poll :emb:

·
Super Moderator
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Well If pcsx2 gets to compete with other projects this year, then as I said before I want some kind of reward for second and third place winners.
So people can take notice that there are a lot of good projects going now, besides pcsx2.

I'm speaking a little ahead, but wouldn't it be okay if the awards results get posted on the main page?

*All* runnerups deserves a mention somewhere. Listing only 3 doesnt do justice. This isnt some competition, hence why I proposed *earlier* to have it more like a yearly resume of 2007's nicest stuff, and link it with a frontpage news.
In fact, I had in mind earlier to synchronize the forum award event with a yearly resume of what happened big in the emulation scene for 2007, and link it to the award results thread. Re-read earlier replies.
Either the 'awards' can be separated into 2 (forum-based awards staying separate, and 'emu awards' remaining more seriously discussed in another 'award thread (in frontpage, would be nicer, and more fitting for an emu newssite) ) , or they could be just copypastes of each other (inappropriate)

Dr Betamax, when listing 'innovations', it was actually the fact that AES *in its whole* seems to be an innovation, hence why it was considered for listing along with pcsx2's netplay component. Again, plz read earlier replies.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Well in any case, the polll will decide what we will do in the emu innovation of the year award, so let's move into other still untouched matters. For the moment it seems we have left to discuss HRD's idea and setting up the final list of awards bar whatever results from the emu one.

·
7,168 Posts
By now I think it is safe to get the results of the emu innovation poll, it seems that the most viable options are both to change the awards mechanics a little, emulators don't get nominated, their innovations get instead and to create two kind of awards. One for emulators overall and one for the ones released this year. So we'll have to awards of that kind this year.

Onto the next issue that pends to be defined is the artist of the year award. HCR suggested that while it would be a single award, it should be divided into several categories (the traditional ones, avatar, signature etc), with only the first place winning each category, essentially retaining the characteristics of previous years. Other people (including myself) suggested that all the related awards (desktop, award, signature, art) should be merged into one single category (artist of the year) since they all basically evaluate essentially the same, and it would actually create more competition instead of diffuminating it

Discuss

·
Super Moderator
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Other people (including myself) suggested that all the related awards (desktop, award, signature, art) should be merged into one single category (artist of the year) since they all basically evaluate essentially the same, and it would actually create more competition instead of diffuminating it
A flaw in that would be obviously bias in which category would represent/deserve 1st place (probably artworks, but good luck trying finding anything satifactory at all in that).
These different forum contribs deserve differentiated nominations, else many nice contribs in a category would be overshadowed by the more impressive ones from *another* category. Not very fair (perpetual artworks would overshadow the other categories, hence why keeping it all separate would be nicer, but trimmed to 1st place and maybe either 2nd place or runnerups for efficiency's sake)

·
7,168 Posts
Oh c'mon people, it can't be THAT hard to choose between the three :p

Should we count how many votes we have to far?

- One award, 3 categories: 2 vote (HRC,Fadingz)
- One award, all inclusive: 3 votes (myself, Beta,Silenus)
- Two awards, avatar and signature by themselves: 1 vote (coolvillesman)

Let's not stall in such a simplistic thing.

·
7,168 Posts
Well then, it seems people are abstaining from voting so they are either giving their implicit approval to whatever results from the votation, or they just don't care :p I'll close the poll tomorrow, and since there are just a few pending issues remaining, I'll just list the awards as they are right now.

-Member of the year
-Staff of the year
-Board of the year
-New member of the year
-Thread of the year
- Coder of the year
- Emu innovation of the year
-New emulator of the year
-Most helpful member of the year

getting the short end of the stick this year:

-Reporter of the year
-IRC'er of the year
-Gentleman/nutter/fanboy of the year

To be decided:
The bin award: (best spammer? most posts per minute? garbage collector?)
Artist of the year

·
代言人
7,184 Posts
I go for garbage collector, fanboy, and Artist of the year XD

IRC is really passive :/
Reporter is ok; I'm not against it, ut I'm not that much up for it neither.
We all 'should' be nice in the public forum, so I think Gentleman isn't that much needed.
Nutter is almost the same as garbage collector.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts