Next Generation Emulation banner
61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Ok, so far it seems we can all agree on ponts 2 and 4 that Beta mentioned, so I guess those can be passed as resolutions. There will be a single Art award, and we will refrain from giving anything too flashy. Possibly it will be the same as last year, that is still to be decided. As for point 3,it would seem that the majority would like a bin related award, with only some people being against.

The point of more controversy seems to be what to do with pcsx2 and emu innovation of the year. I'll list the options, and depending on how divided we are I'll make a poll so that we can decide this once and for all

Option 1: Do nothing at all, let the awards stay the same
Option 2: Change the awards mechanics a little, emulators don't get nominated, their innovations get instead
Option 3: Create two kind of awards. One for emulators overall and one for the ones released this year.
Option 4: Give pcsx2 a automatic pass for the hall of fame/give it a honorary award and let the rest of the contestants duke it out on the actual competition.

Am I missing anything?

·
Super Moderator
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
option 4 looks the nicest.

* Nintendo's Virtual console for bringing emulation to the mainstream
* Ps2 emulation in the ps3 to "reduce" console prices (even though it didn't really )
This is to reward the emu scene/community, not recapitulate, sony and nintendo's tryouts rolling out crippled emu capabilities for their consoles.

2. artwork should be considered as one award, be it avatar/signiture/of otherwise.
The 3 can stay actually, but instead of having a separate podium for each, only naming the VERY best of each of these, would be fine

3. I agree with an award for the bin (kinda like refs suggestion... either that or garbage collector of the year )
bin thread (rather than spammer of year) would lookk nicer. everyone would be enticed to try harder at creting the most hilarious topics next years at lest. mentioning the bin in awards also would publicize it more among the regular members that dont visit/know it.

·
7,168 Posts
As I've been advocating since post #14 I agree with option 4 as well. Anyway, if there are no new options mentioned by today midnight central time I'll be creating the poll.

·
代言人
7,184 Posts
I like the bin idea as it might more fun into the bin again (the bin has died for quite a while :/)

I go for either 2 or 3 of Proto's, I think we should either give something to the pcsx2 team with other teams, or just name the best idea of the year 2007.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I don't think we should 'give' something to the PCSX2 team, sure we all know they are going to win, but what gives us the right to not let them. Heaps of work goes into the emulator (Well...some) and I think they deserve whatever awards they get, regardless of how many times they have won it in a row, or how likely it is they will wipe the floor with everyone else.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Option 1: Do nothing at all, let the awards stay the same
Option 2: Change the awards mechanics a little, emulators don't get nominated, their innovations get instead
Option 3: Create two kind of awards. One for emulators overall and one for the ones released this year.
Option 4: Give pcsx2 a automatic pass for the hall of fame/give it a honorary award and let the rest of the contestants duke it out on the actual competition.

Am I missing anything?
Option 5. Give out two first place awards assuming PCSX2 will win but don't necessarily give it the automatic pass.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
whats so wrong with having PCSX2 win again? it dominated in 06 and still is in 07... I dont feel it should get special treatment or a 'pass'/hall of fame status... It should be treated like the other emus out there.

I say we include it in the nominations like the others and let the members vote. If they are tired of seeing PCSX2 win (which I doubt :p) they wont vote for it.

·
7,168 Posts
The problem many peole have arised is that, apart from side features, PCSX2 is no longer an innovation. It may be the fastest developing emulator, or the one with the most posibilities, but its time of being innovative dissapeared after the first release. Hence, people are complaining on the basis of the word innovation.

That is why we are trying to search for a solution that will satisfy both bands

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I was under the impression it was a voting system, it the people don't think its innovative this year, then they don't have to vote for it do they.

·
7,168 Posts
The problem is that if it isn't innovative per definition it shouldn't even be eligible for nomination. Sorry, I'm not satisfied with the situation as well, and I would like to just have everything as it is if it was up to me. However the concerns of the other side are also valid. That's why we discuss them :p

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
It doesn't matter what PCSX2 does, it's still going to win because of the sheer number of people that will vote for it.

On the other hand, I can't see kicking the emulator out of the polls; are we devaluing the things that PCSX2 did this year, saying that other things were more important?

I say we just make it clear what exactly the innovation is. Not just "PCSX2" but maybe X and Y new thing they put out there.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The Compatibility List Contains 1403 Titles (From 0.9.2 build)
Nothing:132 Intro:226 Menus:118 Ingame:466 Playable:461

The Compatibility List Contains 1788 Titles
Nothing:97 Intro: 233 Menus:119 Ingame: 630 Playable: 709

They made many more games playable over the past year.

Not to mention that they implemented netplay; so that can connect to the official servers of the most games and can play along with people on their PS2.

They fixed an IPU error that I got in a game today. Also the Spikey polygon syndrome, which would do odd things graphically or make a game unplayable. And last thing I can remember is the magicgate emulation of the memory card which fixes many problems that games have with saving.

I'm a trial moderator, if you're wondering how the hell I posted here. :p

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
They made many more games playable over the past year.

Not to mention that they implemented netplay; so that can connect to the official servers of the most games and can play along with people on their PS2.

They fixed an IPU error that I got in a game today. Also the Spikey polygon syndrome, which would do odd things graphically or make a game unplayable. And last thing I can remember is the magicgate emulation of the memory card which fixes many problems that games have with saving.
Those features / updates are not available to the public, do these count? (The same as unreleased versions as emulators will they be put into the mix) When mentioning emulator innovations, shouldnt we be talking about the last released version?

And welcome Godwin, welcome to hell.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Those features / updates are not available to the public, do these count? (The same as unreleased versions as emulators will they be put into the mix) When mentioning emulator innovations, shouldnt we be talking about the last released version?

And welcome Godwin, welcome to hell.
i have to agree with you there, altho its innovative, its not available to anybody who isnt on the team (however much the n00bs download fake versions :evil: ) but to be fair it should be innovations that are "in the wild" so to speak.

*quickly releases 0.9.4*

61 - 80 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.