Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drop yours here and discuss :p

I'll be starting with a few from me, just to get the thing started. You'll notice some are basically repeats carried from previous years, *for now* :p
Hopefully, better suggestions should see the day easily enough ;)

- Emu Innovations 2007 (duh)
- Emu coders of the year (*not* the same as staff and emu innovation award)
- Art Award 2007
- Forum section of the year
- Sig of the year
- Thread of the year
- New member of the year
- Staff member of the year
- Most helpful member 2007

Credible candidates for each of these categories are already available, but let's see which categories survive the brainstorming first :p

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Hmm... well if we are to include all the categories we have had some far (and do some prunning later on), it would have to include these ones as well:

Fanboy of the year
nutter of the year
gentleman of the year
Desktop of the year:
Artwork of the year (this two could get merged into your so-called art award... I wonder if we should toss avatar and signature in there as well)
IRC'er of the year
Post of the year
Reporter of the year

I can see a good number of them getting the lower end of the stick from the start, but I think it is important to consider what we have done already :p

I think we should introduce some tweaking into emu of the year so that it is'nt a pcsx2 landslide victory... again... but apart from that I think the categories you listed can be used this year as well.

edit: Also, I think we could expand emu coder of the year to just coder of the year, so that people like Killershots and Ramsus K can get in as well. We have plenty of good coders in this forum, it would be nice for all of them to have a chance in the award. :)

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I wanna give gifts out this year....I was thinking on giving cFospeed licenses. That company is known to be pretty generous about group licenses.

And a damn good traffic shaper, btw

if anyone can get connections to a developer that makes shareware, and if it's a program people will use over and over again, let me know :)

·
7,168 Posts
Hmmm...gamer of the year could fit in within nutter of the year, a nutter for games. We should also check if there would be enough gamers for it to warrant its own category.

And about the prizes... we would have to check. I have always been for the idea that the prizes should be more symbolical in nature, but it would seem interesting to see what the others think.

·
7,168 Posts
Well a banner would indeed be nice, and since we have so much time if you are up to the task we could brainstorm a little so see how would it be. But for now let's get the highest priority issues sorted out first :) Such as categories and the needed preparations for each of them. (since we have to get up the list of categories a little earlier so that the regular members see them and give us some feedback, same with the new ideas we come up with). After that we can each one dedicate to our individual tasks.

·
代言人
7,184 Posts
Maybe we can have various topics of award in each section and then branch out into threads and members.

For instance:

*General discussion:
-Thread of the year: ...
-Member of the year: ...
*Screenshot:
-Thread of the year: ...
-Member of the year: ...

and ... so on so forth.

and that can take care of many of the awards already.
Then we can have some specialized award such as new member and staff and such.

·
7,168 Posts
Hmm... for member of the year it may work, but for Thread of the year we would have to see how many threads we actually get for that category (last year we got so few that that particular award couldn't be opened)

An alternative idea is that we could ask for people nominating for member of the year to specify why are they nominating them, so that we can add a little description in the polls and so the award can be more informative what does that member excelled at. (though someone receiving that award shouldn't need of those, but for future generations checking past years results it may be not that obvious) Other than that, I feel that we would be making it too specific...

Of course this is only my opinion. Let's wait to see what the other members think.

·
7,168 Posts
...also please add something I have chances to win!
Miretank of the year? Lolicon of the year? Pervert of the... no wait, you would lose on that one :p Truly speaking, you have high chances on the art of the year award so...

As a regular bin user, I'd like to see some award related to the bin.
Well that's what the subforum of the year award is for :nod: Nutter of the year kinda fall under that category... aw well.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I like what is there so far, how about a:

. New Emulator Award (For those who's first release was made in 07)
. Member of the Year (Normal member status only)
. Personality of the year (Who made your time on the forums more enjoyable)

I think its a good idea to make people post, 'why' when they vote (Not sure if you can force a post before you can vote) to eliminate random votes. I think it would add more depth to it.

·
7,168 Posts
How to qualify the voting privilege by the way? Do you need to own the account for an amount of time or do you need to have a minimum amount of posts as bin?
No, the polls are public. As long as you have an account, you can vote once per award

. New Emulator Award (For those who's first release was made in 07)
That is indeeed a nice idea for avoiding the PCSX2 landslide. Other ideas I have thought of is only giving PCSX2 an honorary nomination (in the sense that it can participate in the polls but cannot win), make PCSX2 graduate from the awards and give it a place in the hall of fame or something like that but bar it from this year awards since it has already won in 3 years in a row, or simply making the nomination in this case more strict, requiring the users to name specific innovations for which they wish such and such emulator to appear. We have to think things carefully here as to avoid hurting any feelings, yet giving this specific award a fresh look.

Member of the Year (Normal member status only)
Yeah, forgot to list that one. That is one of the oldest ones, being in the awards since year 2002

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
As a regular bin user, I'd like to see some award related to the bin. :)

...also please add something I have chances to win! :p
Spammer of the Year 2007

i recon thats the best one for the bin

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
If emulator innovation of the year is to be considered, then the specific innovation(s) relating to that emulator must be stated. I'll get back to you with random thoughts when I'm not being distracted...I would also like to see more awards relating to the field of emulation, specifically the authors, projects in general.

·
Super Moderator
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How about milestone of the year, like the emulator with the most progress and the author who has made the most progress.
Listed previously ;)
- Emu Innovations 2007
- coders of the year

Better, forum-specific awards should be considered separately from achievement-based awards.

Separately, as kirby brought it, I'll proceed saying it'd be nice indeed to have something awarded for each (or only some categories), and related to these categories (like prints for art award, avie and desktop people, stuff like WW for reporter of the year for example? A game also wouldnt be a bad idea either, for gamers/nutters of the year :p )

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
How many awards do you plan on having? I think it would be good to set a number we want, then set out to fill those spots, then argue about which should be in and out ,etc.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts