Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, most major video card venders, usually, include a S-Video Out plugin for their video cards (I know ATi does on nearly all of their video cards, wether it's a AV Out or a S-Video Out). Well if you have a S-Video or AV Out I suggest hooking your Video card up to your TV. Then you can enjoy supped up graphics with the natural blur that your TV provides.

I recently just decided to put this to test, and I know it's nothing new, but AA and AF + Natural TV Blur = Godly PSX Emulation Fun. Let's face it, you can never emulate any console perfectly, espically in the visual department. But with the help if your TV you can get that true blue feel that you're playing your favorite Console games on your TV. This is just a personal preference, but I suggest at least trying it. Personally I enjoy playing more sprite based games on my TV (Like Final Fantasy Anthology/Origins/Chronicles) because PSX emulators don't deal with sprites all that well (well at least in smoothing them so they don't look so blocky). The same can't be said for most SNES and GBA Emus but I personally enjoy playing Super Mario World on my TV rather than having Super Eagle on and playing it on my Monitor.

What's really cool is having your monitor on and your TV on, then you can really see the difference in quality. Now that's not saying don't jack up the graphics, but try playing it on your TV aswell as your monitor, you may like the TV more.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I do this since i got my voodoo 3 card.... Good old days.... :emb:

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
My TNT2 doesn't allow me to do so :(
When using the same resolution and filters in Snes emulation will it also run at the same framerate when playing snes games, or do you need more power to get the same framerate when using TVout?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
what's great about TV out is that it's so crappy you cant notice anything, even using Peops looks sexy :p

i like TV out because it lets me actually play MGS Integral on my TV (since i dont have a J PSX or a mod chip or anything)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
it's nice, but the pc's s-video out (well, at least mine) still doesn't give the quality SCART does on my ps2 and dc...and I have emulators on dc :)

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
my PC's Svideo out is sweet. i watch my Xvid rips on my TV, they are indistinguishable from DVD quality.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Samor said:
it's nice, but the pc's s-video out (well, at least mine) still doesn't give the quality SCART does on my ps2 and dc...and I have emulators on dc :)
True, but Snes isn't fullspeed :(

Yet ;)

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Internal TV Tuners are better. Plus, you don't have to buy a T.V. or hook anything up. (I'm a fanboy of TV Tuners. Screw you if you don't like them.)

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
when my previous monitor got... emmm... burned(?) :D I had to use an 20 '' tv for about a week, watching movies, playing emus (or PS2 hooked to pc and pc hooked to TV :evil: ) was ok, but... when I wanted to read some e-book... or anything... it was too blurry, and that resolution - 800x600 or 640x480... yuck :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I play my Emus on a 17" TV so it's worthless otherwise. I'll have to take a picture of my "Workstation" it's pretty sweet :). (I'll take it once I get my wireless crap this weekend and finish working on my server).

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
Talbain said:
Internal TV Tuners are better. Plus, you don't have to buy a T.V. or hook anything up. (I'm a fanboy of TV Tuners. Screw you if you don't like them.)
you mean pc tv cards?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>Internal TV Tuners are better. Plus, you don't have to buy a T.V. or hook anything up. (I'm a fanboy of TV Tuners. Screw you if you don't like them.)

Compared to the quality you can get from an equaly priced external generic VGA box, TV tuners are crap. I've had a number of them during my time and not one of them even comes close to the crispness and smoothness of a VGA box.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
Kane said:
>Internal TV Tuners are better. Plus, you don't have to buy a T.V. or hook anything up. (I'm a fanboy of TV Tuners. Screw you if you don't like them.)

Compared to the quality you can get from an equaly priced external generic VGA box, TV tuners are crap. I've had a number of them during my time and not one of them even comes close to the crispness and smoothness of a VGA box.
true; allthough i'm quite satisfied with my pinnacle card; but then again I mostly use it for watching TV. Having said that, I must say that so far I haven't seen a PCTV card that has a quality thats better than a TV. The Pinnacle is the best I've had yet because it receives all channels correctly; many other TV cards seem to have problem with the reception here; our cable provider is partly to blame for that too though, I guess. I totally love TV cards because I can do stuff and have a tiny tv in the corner of my screen.
External devices on it are ok, I guess, but I only used standard A/V to test it, while it has an svideo connector as well. The Pinnacle software itself has some very good deinterlace features similar to the ones in DScaler, which is convenient.
The oddest thing that happened though was when I tried the C64DTV (a retro joystick with C64 games) on it. I set the signal to NTSC and it appeared to work correctly, but the DTV crashed when starting games all the time, while working correctly on a generic tv. Don't even ask me how this is possible; I didn't expect the DTV to react according to the output device it's connected to. It doesn't even make sense, in fact.

My consoles (PS2, DC) are connected to an MSX monitor (I don't have room for a big widescreen tv, making this the best solution I can get). Such a monitor is much like a TV without the tuner, but optimized for computer images. As such, the picture is much clearer and sharper than your average bedroom tv; just what SCART needs (normal A/V looks crap on that monitor because of its sharpness); I use SCART cables on both consoles nowadays. So much better, and I actually prefer it over the DC's VGA-box (which is uber-sharp, but a little too much for my tastes and incompatible with some games).
Anyways, they sadly don't make monitors like that anymore, but in case it would stop working I at least know a source where I could get another.

·
Moo.
455 Posts
I won't deny the crispness of VGA, but as a traveler, you really can't deny the power of internal TV tuners. A laptop with one is excellent on the go, especially if you're in a foreign country. (I often stay at hotels that have cable access, but they don't have TVs.) Plus, I don't really care about quality, I just want it to play my games when I'm away (If I'll be in a place for a long time, sometimes I take my Cube with me). If I want quality I'll use a *gasp* real TV.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
That's different. I use VGA boxes as I have 2 monitors in my room and I don't want to waste extra space on a TV. I also want as much quality as I can get from what I've got.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Mind you TVs are only better if they are significantly larger than your computer monitor.

I have a 24" TV and a 17" monitor so I won't see that much of an improvement.

Plus the last time I tired a computer to TV hook up I find that you have to set the resolution lower in order for the TV to display the desktop correctly.

·
band
4,912 Posts
would a tuner not be better for ppl with LCD screens? with my new monitor, the picture from my ps2 looks really really gross because its outputting at not my monitor's optimal resolution. because of this, i have to put my ps2 on my old monitor...

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Well, they've all got their uses I suppose. I just prefer to use one or the other, being the traveler that I am. I'm in Hawaii right now, I'll be moving to Austin and then to Denton and then to Los Angeles over the next year or two (I may also travel to Italy and China for a while, but that's still in the process of being made a reality). So I'm a bit of a minimalist because of that. I use my internal TV tuner for just about everything at this point though, because it's too convenient not too. (And much much cheaper, I'm amazed how much you can save on an electricity bill.) Still, it's true that you can't question the quality of the stuff you've guys got. But, I don't enjoy the same luxuries you guys do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts