Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure Hardware was the best place to put this, so let me go on with a little background story...

On thursday, my brother was driving around his college campus when he noticed something out the corner of his eye. He stops gets out and finds an Xbox. He picks it up and sees its in bad shape but says what the heck and throws it in his back seat, when he gets home he gives it to me. I open it and to my surprise its not in that bad of shape, here are the problems.

No power or resest button(ordered one online for 6 bucks)
Hard drive - shook it and didnt here anything.
power supply looks a little banged up but I believe it will still work(bent in the corner and what looks like a transformer seems a little out of place but still has all of its contacts and doesn't move.
Case fan is a goner(a fin broke and when I bulled it out the whole fan came apart, able to put back together but the fin is too crappy)
The bigger heatsink(i think its for the GPU) the clip that holds it done is broken but I think I might be able to fix it.
Contol ports - the mounting parts broke off.
Case - Well, I've never seen an XBox look better. Front end completely gone with holes all around :rotflmao:
DVD-Rom - The gears that slides the laser in and out of the way are all messed up But other than that it should work.

I have no power, video cord, controlers or games. I want to get this thing to work for the least amount of money. I really believe if I get the resest button in there it should work, but the DVD-ROM drive is really messed up. I figure I can just mod it to make it like a flip-top but if I can I want just a normal XBox. DVD-ROM drive replacements are uberexpensive. The only other thing I could thing of is **hush hush** modding but thats illegal and wrong, but it might be the only way that I can play games on this thing. An help is appreciated. If you guys want pics I will post.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I'm afraid if the DVD drive is shot, there is no real option for playing real games other than buying an X-Box specific replacement. PC drives can't read like hte XBox needs.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want a new drive, i want to fix the current one, Believe the laser still work, its just the the drive incasement wont's raise the laser and spinning head up when the drive closes. I'm considering making it a flip-top if I can but I lack tools and know how.

·
Registered
401 Posts
well lets see, If it has that much external damage then I would say you would be better off buying a new one

lets see...
Im assuming that a great deal of the damage is from impact?

HD-probly toast, a good impact will at least make it in need of a reformating(from my experience) and it being locked, this poses a prob

if there is damage to the heatsink on the gpu then that would be abig warning to me that there is probly a broken solder joint or something somewhere, I mean thats some pretty serious damage.

Another thing you have to ask yourself is why was this thing thrown out to begin with, apparently it quit working and they decided to see what was in it lol

But not to discourage, I hope you can get it to work!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if there is damage to the heatsink on the gpu then that would be abig warning to me that there is probly a broken solder joint or something somewhere, I mean thats some pretty serious damage.
I doubt it, The heatsink is fine the clip that holds the heatsink down is plastic and a piece that holds it down broke off. The mother looks perfect, I think it landed on the left side of the XBox because thats where most of the case damage is.
Another thing you have to ask yourself is why was this thing thrown out to begin with, apparently it quit working and they decided to see what was in it lol
I believe it was thrown out the window, maybe in an arguement or maybe an intense game of bejeweled. Maybe it was left because someone dropped it and doesnt have the know how to fix it. Being a college student I really don't understand many others actions.

If it works than I get a free XBox, if not then I can sell it. There are many places online that buy broken XBoxs for 40 bucks.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hmm...We believe that for the cost of repair you may as well go new. The HDD alone will cost some money, and unless you got the bugger modded it won't even recognize it. With Xbox 2 or whatever the hell you want to call it just around the corner we are expecting another Xbox price drop....so we suggest waiting

or you can get a 40 buck broke one and hope it has what you need.

·
Registered
401 Posts
"I doubt it, The heatsink is fine the clip that holds the heatsink down is plastic and a piece that holds it down broke off. The mother looks perfect, I think it landed on the left side of the XBox because thats where most of the case damage is.'

ok but how did the clip get broke, plastic or not, it sustained some sort of damage. This leads one to assume that it could have affectd other things that arent so visible. A broken/cracked solder joint as I mentioned before can be quite hard to see/find

1 - 11 of 11 Posts