Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Suggestion to add the “Save as” and “Load as” option for quick save.
For example, the pSX emulator has 5 quick saves and there are options “save as”, “load as” for quick saves, which gives an infinite number of quick saves, you can make a quick save before each boss for example, with the name “save before the 1st boss” or "99 of all items" or "character level 99". Giving a name for each quicksave can come in handy for any game and you don’t have to figure out how this quicksave differs from others.
The PCSX emulator has 5 quick saves and there are options "save as", "load as" for quick saves. which gives an infinite number of quick saves.
The Gens emulator for 16 bits has 10 quick saves.
Why is this needed? This is for those games that are played many times. And of course, to have access to every moment of the game, for example, saving before each boss. And you can name the quick save "save before the 25th boss." Or to save under different conditions of the game, for example, on easy or hard difficulty. Also, games have different paths and different endings. You can save it before each branch of the plot and give the corresponding name.
All other PSX emulators have “Save as”, “Load as” option for quick save.

·
Not a Registered User
1,381 Posts
Nice idea but a unlikely one to happen, sadly ePSXe gets updated at a similar rate as cancer research, so not very often.

Also it isn't recommend to use save states as permanent saves, for that use in game save mechanics.
In my opinion save states are meant for quick saves, in long or difficult sections.

Lastly save states unlike in game saves mechanics aren't 100% fool proof, they can be corrupted, partially broken or made incompatible in a myriad of ways, for example save states from ePSXe 1.9.0 and older aren't compatible with ePSXe 2.0 and newer, sane with just changing basic setting, like enabling HLE, or changing plugins, and so on.

Always save in game.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Also it isn't recommend to use save states as permanent saves
We have the opportunity to use both, save states and memory card saves.

save states unlike in game saves mechanics aren't 100% fool proof, they can be corrupted, partially broken
But memory card saves also can be corrupted or partially broken. If the memory card save is corrupted, then a previous quick save can save the situation.

·
Not a Registered User
1,381 Posts
But memory card saves also can be corrupted or partially broken. If the memory card save is corrupted, then a previous quick save can save the situation.
True, but at the same time a thunder can hit and fry your pc, or you can get hit by a car or the whole world can end.

Point being memory card corruption 99% of times are users fault and 1% their PC's fault.
Save states can be corrupted by a programming errors which can happen at any time or any reason.

Lastly memory cards can be converted and to some degree recovered, like recovering just that one particular save file, save states can't, you either recover the whole file or none.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Point being memory card corruption 99% of times are users fault and 1% their PC's fault.
Almost the same for quick saves. 99% of times, Save state was corrupted, because I edited current memory of the process. Over the years of using ePSXe, only one quick save has been corrupted on my PC. Yes, Save states can be corrupted more often, but this is because they use 2000 kb of data. But, almost always Save states work without errors. In 99,9% of cases, they work correctly.

memory cards can be converted and to some degree recovered, like recovering just that one particular save file, save states can't
Of course, recovering 8 kb of data from 1 memory card save is much easier, than recovering 2000 kb. Even 128 kb of entire memory card is easier to recover, than 2000 kb of data. But that does not make them worse. Save states are better, because they save a lot more data. And they are much faster, than memory card saves.

·
Not a Registered User
1,381 Posts
Almost the same for quick saves. 99% of times, Save state was corrupted, because I edited current memory of the process. Over the years of using ePSXe, only one quick save has been corrupted on my PC. Yes, Save states can be corrupted more often, but this is because they use 2000 kb of data. But, almost always Save states work without errors. In 99,9% of cases, they work correctly.

Of course, recovering 8 kb of data from 1 memory card save is much easier, than recovering 2000 kb. Even 128 kb of entire memory card is easier to recover, than 2000 kb of data. But that does not make them worse. Save states are better, because they save a lot more data. And they are much faster, than memory card saves.
True and true but because save states save far more data means they also have much larger margine of errors.

For example lets say I use game shark cheats that end up crashing the game at some point, if I use a save state the game is broken beyond saving as it also saves the change in memory that the cheats did, in this case a memory card save is better as it only saves what necessary and resenting the game and loading the mmc save will reset the memory change done by the cheats fixing the game.

Look im not against save states or devs coding this feature in, the more features the better, all im saying is that you should always also save to the memory card as they have far less possibilities of breaking or breaking the game irreversibly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look im not against save states or devs coding this feature in, the more features the better, all im saying is that you should always also save to the memory card as they have far less possibilities of breaking or breaking the game irreversibly.
Of course, I always use both, quick saves and memory card saves. But, much more often I use quick saves, because pressing the buttons F1 and F3 is much faster. It would be very nice, if the developers added the "save as", "load as" option for quick save. Because other PSX emulators have this option.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
many downsides to savestates.. for one they are not compatible across machines..IE a ss made on one pc may not work on another cause of different architecture, they also tend to die off changing revisions of emulator, and can even die if you change your video card driver...a SS is a snap shot of the emulator running on that pc at the time it was taken, change any external variable and it is a crap shoot to what will or won't work.. it is why many emu's are moving away from SS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
IE a ss made on one pc may not work on another cause of different architecture,
Therefore, developers create two versions of programs, for 32-bit OS and 64-bit OS.

they also tend to die off changing revisions of emulator
This happens quite rarely, because the emulator does not often have new releases. And my savestates from ePSXe 1.7.0 works on ePSXe 2.0.5.

it is why many emu's are moving away from SS
As far as I know, all emulators have quick saves (savestates).

many downsides to savestates
Quick saves are much faster and more convenient to use. I have about 30-40 memory cards and also 20 memory cards for just one game. With all this, one save game takes up 1 slot in the memory card. In total, I have for this one game: 300 memory card saves and only 5 quick saves. As you can see 300 is much more than 5. Therefore, I really need the options: "Save as" and "Load as" for savestates.
All other PSX emulators have “Save as”, “Load as” option for quick save, and why should ePSXe be worse than other emulators in this regard?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts