Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for another notebook to replace my aging Toshiba 266 Mhz notebook.

So far Dell and Toshiba are two best brand names that come to my mind.

The main function of the notebook would be office/school work.

Personally I would like a notebook with a S-Video out.

What notebook do you recommend that is in the sub 2000 dollar range that can be used as a desktop replacement?

I also notice that most notebook these days use the Centrino Intel Pentium M processor.

Given the poor performance of past celeron processors is Pentium M good in performance?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The Pentium M provides very good performance for a 'proper' mobile processor, particularly in gaming where it is much faster than Intel's desktop chips. Plus, it's quieter, creates less heat and runs on a lower voltage than all other laptop processors.

When I got the laptop I have now, I strongly avoided:

-Pentium 4/Celeron Mobiles (low battery life/performance)
-Athlon64 Mobiles (low battery life)
-Intel graphics (low performance)
-Older DX8.1 compliant or worse graphics and FX series (low compatibility/performance)

...but looked out for:

+Turion64 or Pentium M
+Dedicated graphics from either ATi or NVIDIA
+DX9 or better compliance
+Decently sized screen
+Wireless

Also, wireless is very useful indeed, as I'm posting this message by hijacking some guy's wireless connection at no cost to myself.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,484 Posts
As I always recommend, what you must seek when looknig for a schoolwork laptop is neither batterry life, nor graphic performance, nor wireless, nor big screen, nor nothing you would normally seek on a normal pc

What you must seek for is resistance and endurance :p As such IBM's and Panasonic's thoughbooks are your best bet :nod: Toshibas are decent as well

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa When I first saw this thread I saw "Sub $200 Notebook Recommendations" and was like I need that! Going off to college soon and a sub 200 would be perfect for just basic word and crap.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well for school/office work I would highly reccomend an ibook. Not only is it sub $2000 dollars, its comes with a butload of software pre-installed on it! iBooks come pretty well built by default, and you can always upgrad most of it. The material it is made out of is pretty resistant, not to mention it has a sensor to tell if you dropped the laptop that stops the harddrive, which means its pretty rugged as well. They have awesome battery life as well, I get an average of about 5 hours on my ibook with screen at full brightness, wirless on, listening to music, and typing away in Word or Dreamweaver.

/me waits for the Apple haters to come out.

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
I would prefer an Apple platform too. :D

Following [Clements] orders,
+Turion64 or Pentium M
+Dedicated graphics from either ATi or NVIDIA
+DX9 or better compliance
+Decently sized screen
+Wireless

I would add a bulit-in Bluetooth.
Though with dedicated graphics from ATI or nVidia, laptops containing these chips appear larger and bulkier in size.

Go Apple instead.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Celeron M is actually a VERY good CPU. Based off of the same Dothan core with 1MB/512KB of L2, it performs nearly identical to the P-M, at a much lower cost. In fact, a lot of desktop users are switching from A64/P4s to Celeron Ms with Asus's CT-479 adapter (I have one with a 1.4 Banias sitting right here :)), due to Dothan's insane gaming performance and great OCing potential.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
http://www.apple.com/ibook/

$1300 will get you

1.4 GHZ G4
512MB DDR333
14" Display
Radeon 9550
60 GB HDD
DVD Burner
Built in Wirless
Built in Bluetooth
Scrolling Track Pad
Suddem Motion Senso

Software:
Comes with OSX Tiger, which is a very nice OS
Appleworks: a decent word processor, but you can but the mac version of Office, which is actually superior to the windows version (go figure)
iTunes (no biggie here)
iMovie
iDVD
iPhoto (I love this program)
Safari, more compliant that even firefox, and faster, just doesn't have the same features
iMail, pretty decent
GarageBand
iChat
Plus there are tons of good freeware and cheap software for macs, all good stuff for office/school work, or if your into video editing or graphics work. The only thing it doesn't do well is gaming, although more and more games are working for it now that developers are coding in opengl more.

My ibook came out just b4 the new ones do, but I dont' regret it this thing is one of my favorite toys :) and is crucial to my school work (web design).

Although if you have the extra $200 and don't mind the 2" less screen space (same resolution) then look at the power book 12".

just my $0.02

·
General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have narrowed it down to a Dell Insprion 6000 for $1,1991 Cdn.

Specs:

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB) [Included in Price]
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition (English) [Included in Price]
PC Restore recovery system by Symantec [Included in Price]
15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel [Included in Price]
60GB Hard Drive [Included in Price]
FREE Upgrade to 8x CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) from 24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive [Included in Price]
Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 [Included in Price]
6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr) [Included in Price]
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps) [Included in Price]
No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only [Included in Price]
No Security Subscription [Included in Price]

I have a Windows XP Pro CD so, I can format and install Pro over Home.

There is one thing I don't like about the specs is the video card.

Is the Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 good enough to play games made last year and emulated PSX games?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Not really. Intel 900 would work quite well for older and emulated games, but forget about running a game released any time this year (or even last year) very well at all. It does have DX9 compliance, but I don't think Intel graphics supports AA at all (could be wrong) and only a few levels of AF. The Intel 900 Media Accelerator would be outperformed by an FX 5200 (and the FX has full AA/AF options and better drivers).

For me, the X700 was no more expensive than integrated Intel graphics, so I got that, and I can run UT2004 @ Max Settings with 4xAA @ 1440x900 without slowdown. If you are paying over $1000, then I would expect a dedicated card. Dedicated cards also take up no more space.

·
Coffee Demon
2,916 Posts
Hmm

Have you looked at the Alienware "Sentia" line? Don't let the Alienware name have you thinking your going to be out a bunch of money. We picked one up for the ex some time ago (a lil 12" bugger). It was under $2000 but came stacked with goodies. It is well built and very impressive. The customer service and shipping was fantastic as well.

·
General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dark Watcher said:
Hmm

Have you looked at the Alienware "Sentia" line? Don't let the Alienware name have you thinking your going to be out a bunch of money. We picked one up for the ex some time ago (a lil 12" bugger). It was under $2000 but came stacked with goodies. It is well built and very impressive. The customer service and shipping was fantastic as well.
The Sentia specs are weaker than the Dell specs.

n_w95482 said:
If I were to get a laptop now, I would either get this or this. I'm not sure whether they ship to Canada or not though.
It looks like the prices are in American. I can expect at least a $200 additional cost for Cdn.

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
I'd avoid the integrated wireless for performance reasons (unless it comes with an option to physically enable/disable it with a touch of a button). Thus far, I have seen no 108Mb integrated wireless solutions - you have to buy a PCMCIA card to support it, and if you can't physically disable your built-in one, you may have issues having two installed at once.

Then again, you may not care for 108Mb performance, 54Mb may be just fine for the convenience of having it built in. Your call.

The CPU looks impressive enough - 2M cache is quite impressive indeed.

The video looks to be a major problem. If you ever intend to use the laptop for other than work / school, you will find it difficult... but again, you may not care.

For affordable office solutions (As I note it is listed as [not included]), take a look at openoffice.org - it's free and quite compatible with Microsoft Office at this point. Otherwise, be prepared to shell out up to $400 for the latest complete version of office (unless you get the student price, which is likely half that).

I note that I decided during college that since I was going to develop software that would be at production level eventually on my personal laptop, I would make sure that everything on it was 100% legit: Office, Windows, Visual Studios, everything (the software cost 4x the laptop itself, and it was not a cheap laptop). I still stand by that, though I have decided not to keep up to date with Office nor Visual Studios (I have much better tools under linux for free, and all my work is cross-platform - I run and debug under linux, and compile under windows when everything works perfectly).

·
No People, No Problems
651 Posts
Here is a notebook i considered getting it's a Toshiba M40 PSM40C-SF300E it seems though it is currently only avaliable in Canada.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.