Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
according to http://srs.namco.com , the game's in stores now...I haven't seen it yet though; perhaps in the US only...

there's some new stuff on the site; one thing might especially interest people; they've put up a small drift video using the toyota trueno (eight-six).
But I'm not impressed at all....the drifting doesn't look very good IMO, just your basic racing game controls....for as far a movie can show that. Other than that, if someone'd pick a random screenshot and say it's NFSU, I'd believe him. This game does look exactly the same.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just took some time to read reviews from the game; I think I saw close to 10 (?) ...of these, one had an 82 and all the others either 65 or 66 as a score.
The game is said to have some nice style, but racing is apparantly slow and boring. The music (hiphop) gets shot by everyone, even if they're hiphop fans.
That's the basic about that all reviews say, one being an exception...
Also, having watched that awfully dull drift movie, I think I'll pass up on this one.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, it does look good. but the reviews are very negative (but one)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yup. I figured that much. They seem to be focusing too much on looking cool with cool music and forgetting about gameplay mechanics. All street racers seem to be taking this route. Sad.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'cool music'
..well, I guess it's cool to them... it's horror to me. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Hip Hop + Racing title = Bad Idea.

Everyone knows Rock is the only cool thing to listen to when driving cars :D

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well Arcade Racers and "Wipeout-like' titles Techno is a definate yes! Then Simulation racers I would have to say Rock is a definate yes! ;)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well you gotta have just the right voume levels for the songs ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but rock music? I don't hate it but I really prefer dance/techno and the like for racers.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yup. I'm not talking about death metal or anything? Just new age rock. But I definately agree about techno too. Racing when listening to techno really pumps you up.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
of course nothing beats the cheesy Daytona USA music, though :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
OMG, I love those songs.

The funky base guitar and guy singing ... "Daytona..."

·
Registered
184 Posts
You are not missing much with this game. Once again another game that was all hype. The music is all rock and rap, it mixes and you can't choose what you want to hear. As far as car modding goes, once you figure out which comba makes the most power, it's pretty much universal. The cars do handle much better than NFSU but there's no sense of speed 'till around 150, and even then it feels like you're going 80. And the only way to recharge your NOS tank is to do tricks outside of races. Kinda hard to do when there's a cop on every other street.

Just like most of the big reviews say, the girl collecting is the only good aspect. You basically jump thru hoops in order to "win" the airhead. She then rides with you while you're driving. the more races and respect points you win, the more girl videos you unlock. The videos are crappy quality and the music they dance to just out-right sucks. Maybe it's just my tv being too small that makes the videos pixilate, but then most people consider 32 inches decent size. That actual game graphics look alright, even though is shows that it's been in development for awhile and has the trademark Rigde Racer backgrounds.

Just rent the game if you can find a place that does. The place could have even bought into the hype also and may have a few copies for sale there. I know the Blockbuster around the corner has them for $20 used.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL? uhm..if they'd put in orchestral music maybe, yeah...
what's wrong with some up-tempo music in there? ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts