Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

Does anyone know of some good software to do this: I wanna simply stream the audio coming through my computer over the net and have it received at the other end in no less than average MP3 quality (128kbps, with 18KHz or greater bandwidth - so not just microphone/telephone frequencies).

I thought MSN (the messenger I always use) would do this, but I can't test it because by default the thing always selects the microphone input (and only the microphone input) regardless of what I do. There doesn't seem to be any option to change it. I've even tried disabling all audio inputs except "What U Hear" (which is the one I wanna use), but it doesn't work.

If anyone knows some good software (or how to work around the problem using Vista 64 Ultimate, a Creative X-Fi card and Windows Live Messenger) then please let me know.

Thanks.

Aside: The only work around I've found is to plug the speaker output into the microphone input jack on the sound card, but it's a pain in the ass and plus I can't hear what's going on myself due to not having the appropriate adapter to split the signal. Also, I suspect that it will distort the sound anyway due to the way which the microphone stream is processed by the sound card - so it's not really the ideal solution.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Use remote desktop connection and download the music and play it. Or just use Windows 7 'Play To' feature to stream from anywhere that has internet access.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not what I wanna do. I don't wanna have to resort to using Windows 7 or a Remote Desktop connection. Also, I wanna stream the audio from my computer, and I'd like it to be as easy as possible for the person on the other end to connect.

Edit: You know what, forget the whole Windows Live Messenger approach. I've done some more testing and discovered that it doesn't matter what you do, (even if you could get the "What U Hear" input selected) WLM forces the transmission of only the mid-range. Not only this, but I think it's also got some kind of music/voice detection system running too, as after a brief moment, the audio just diminishes completely when not using a microphone. So...screw MSN. Anyone got any other software?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.