Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first of all, I am proud to say that I finally struck it big during Christmas and managed to upgrade my old Pentium1 MMX 233Mhz processor to a shiny new 1.5Ghz Pentium4 with 256megs of DDR RAM, and a 400Mhz Front Side Bus.:D I guess I gotta change my signature now;)

I'm still trying to run FF9 on my system, and I must say everything runs just beautifully on it, including sound (yaahooo!) Now, from testing both pete's D3D 1.55 plugin, and lewpy's Glide 1.35 on my trusty 3dFX Voodoo3 2000 PCI, It seems that Lewpy's plugin is just incredible on how it deal's with the swirl effect. Good Job, Lewpy!

Now, on to my question, which is mainly directed to Lewpy himself. Whenever I hit the escape key the system totally locks up. Keyboard doesn't respond either; so I have to do a hard reset to get it back. Lewpy mentioned in the readme file about a Glide bug in which the card doesn't re-initialize the destop. I'm wondering if this behaviour is related to it.

Now, I've been able to safely exit the game without locking up the system by using ALT+F4 (which seems to be a universal "Quit" command for programs). But, this is only a temporary workaround.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
I have a voodoo 5 and epsxe use to lock up just like on your system.. Use executor and see if the lock up still happen.. They dissappeared the day I started using epsxe executor.. Evertime I dont' use executor, it still locks up.. weird.. I have a suspicion it has something to do with either the epsxe main gui window or the Msdos window that shows while epsxe is running.. Using executor doesn't show either windows..

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Well, I am glad you like the swirly effects ;) They do need a powerful machine to pull them off smoothly though (due to reliance on software rendering routines most of the time). But some speed issues are just down to the 3dfx card, and there is no way to get round that problem :(

Are you really using a V3 2000 PCI as your primary graphics card? With such a computer as you now have, it would be worth investing in a modern AGP card :)

There doesn't seem to be a diffinitive answer to the lock-up issue. I've heard reports that running your desktop at a different colour depth than you run the emulator in helps (V3 can only do 16bit 3D rendering, so set your desktop to 32bit). Also, making the emu run at a different resolution to your desktop (ie. desktop at 1024x768, run emu at 800x600, etc.) may help.

And as fivefeet8 suggested, using ePSXeCutor may help too.

Try these suggestions out, and let us know how you get on.

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
6,122 Posts
Originally posted by Goku7
Ok, first of all, I am proud to say that I finally struck it big during Christmas and managed to upgrade my old Pentium1 MMX 233Mhz processor to a shiny new 1.5Ghz Pentium4 with 256megs of DDR RAM, and a 400Mhz Front Side Bus.:D I guess I gotta change my signature now;)

I'm still trying to run FF9 on my system, and I must say everything runs just beautifully on it, including sound (yaahooo!) Now, from testing both pete's D3D 1.55 plugin, and lewpy's Glide 1.35 on my trusty 3dFX Voodoo3 2000 PCI, It seems that Lewpy's plugin is just incredible on how it deal's with the swirl effect. Good Job, Lewpy!

Now, on to my question, which is mainly directed to Lewpy himself. Whenever I hit the escape key the system totally locks up. Keyboard doesn't respond either; so I have to do a hard reset to get it back. Lewpy mentioned in the readme file about a Glide bug in which the card doesn't re-initialize the destop. I'm wondering if this behaviour is related to it.

Now, I've been able to safely exit the game without locking up the system by using ALT+F4 (which seems to be a universal "Quit" command for programs). But, this is only a temporary workaround.
That is just funny, using a Pentium 4 whit a PCI Voodoo 3 2000, and I here Using A powerful K6-2 whit a simple Geforce 2 mx PCI
(how was it? ohh yeah...) NYAGHHHAHAHAHAHA !!!! ^^

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using the Voodoo3 2000 PCI card for two reasons:

1. I only got it a year ago, and I want to get my money's worth. My previous motherboard did not have an AGP slot, so I had to go PCI. I also had a limited budget to buy the upgrade with, so I got the bare-bones package.

2. Since 3dFX went out of business, that means any newer cards on the store shelves are gonna be of the nVidia type. You see, I play both FF7PC and FF8PC *a lot*, and nVidia cards generally crash with those games, or have major problems with them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm still running a VooDoo 3 2000, despite my newly upgraded Duron 800, and I love the card, (mainly because I'm too cheap to buy something new that might not work). I can run ePSXe and Black and White, so I'm happy.
I'd just like to ask what VooDoo drivers you guys(and gals) use? I tried a few non-3dfx ones, but they didn't work too well. What do you reccomend?

·
Carpal Tunneler
16 Posts
Until recently I used a 3D Blaster Banshee 16MB PCI card in my computer, and with Lewpy's plugin I got excellent graphics and good speed, with a few sacrifices, of course...

However, events forced me to change my videocard to a Riva TNT Vanta 16MB AGP card, and now I either get lousy speed with the OpenGL plugins, no matter what settings I choose, or I get lousy graphics with the Direct3D plugins, no matter what I choose. In OpenGL plugins FF IX plays very slowly, especially on the world map. So far, no plugin or config for the TNT Vanta gives me the same speed and graphic quality that Lewpy's Glide plugin gave me...

:cry: I miss ya, Lewpy!! :cry: Somebody put me out of my misery! :cry:

Figure of speech, but a little salvation would be dearly welcome.

Preferably without having to buy a new Gfx card.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.