Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when auto fram limiting is on,the frame rate is always circling around 56-58 fps.To make the rate 60,I had to manually change it to 62, as it always seems to fall back 2 frames.Not only that,but that same change fixed mdec movie sounds,further indicating that the new limit is correct.

Simply,why is pete's auto frame limit incorrect?:rolleyes:

P.S:A relative of mine noticed that the battle music in FF8 was slow before the change(He didn't check it after the change).

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
According to Pete's readme file:

- All plugins: _Demo_ suggested to use a 59.94 fps
NTSC timing (instead of the old 60 fps one), if auto-
detected fps limitation is enabled. Well, done... (don't
ask me if that will improve anything... most of my
games are PAL ones anyway :)

I don't know why either, but the framerate limit is set to 59.94(the on-screen display shows only 59) instead of 60.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Originally posted by Mido
I have noticed that when auto fram limiting is on,the frame rate is always circling around 56-58 fps.To make the rate 60,I had to manually change it to 62, as it always seems to fall back 2 frames.Not only that,but that same change fixed mdec movie sounds,further indicating that the new limit is correct.
I have noticed that too. except for me the FPS never stays constant. If I set it to 60 it will jump around from 60 to 58 and back to 60. So I set mine to 61. Now it jumps from 61 to 59. I'm always 1 off of 60, but I guess it balances out.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
I think this usually happens on slower systems.Well a fall of one fps will not make a big difference

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Originally posted by liaqatali
I think this usually happens on slower systems.Well a fall of one fps will not make a big difference
But I have a Celeron 600 O/C to 900mhz
and a TNT2 Ultra O/C to 162mhz engine and 212mhz memory.

Maybe its my TNT2 or all the overclocking, but your right that it doesn't make much difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To the guy that said that it happens on slow systems,I have a Pentium 4 1.4 Ghz with a gefore 2 mx..so that's not the real reason.

Also, a 1 or 2 fps drop does make a difference.Mdecs stuttered before I changed the frame limit manually..now they don't.

In conclusion,my aim with this thread was to see if the problem is present among other users,not just me.Thanks for the replies..and I hope that I have helped somebody in process.:)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thanks Mido,
I think I used to get stuttering Mdecs, but that was when I didn't know what I was doing and I thought it was due to bad SPU/GPU config. It was probably about the same time I figured out how to config that I found the auto FPS limit to be off. I never had really thought about that small of a change making Mdecs better/worse. You didn't really help me cause I had already changed it, but now I realize a new reason for Mdec stuttering so I can help others. Man that took alot to get my point across.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
The gpu is trying very hard to balance the FPS around the desired value...
and it's a really a hell of job to do it right: some frames will be very fast
(for example an average of 200 fps), because there will be drawn nothing in it.

Other frames will be, because of drawing/texture uploading, maybe at 30 FPS average.
So the gpu is measuring the average speed of the last 10 frames and tries
to slow things down, if it's to fast... and now, with the slowed updates the timing
will be different again... not easy... dunno if I can improve that any further

In real gameplay you will usually not notice anything if the speed is going down
somewhat... but in mdecs the main emu also fires up XA data to the spu plugins,
which are very sensitive if speed is too fast or too slow... depends how the spu
is coded as well, though.

Ah, well... at least I don't have any problems to get a constant FPS on my system ;)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Ah, well... at least I don't have any problems to get a constant FPS on my system
Your system?....your system?....who the h*ll cares about Your system?
Hahaha just kidding Pete.
You mean you didn't have that FPS limit problem on your old system or just the new maxed out system?

Anyway this frame limit thing is just a tiny imperfection. There's probably more important tweaking to do on your GPUs, but you'd be the best judge of that.:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your attention,guys.

Oh yeah,pete...could you please add some explanations to the fixes in your special fixes menu to your readme?

Also,ff8 gives very wierd transistion gfx on entering battles using the software gpu plugin,but not the hardware gpu plugin.Advice would be appreciated.

Bye...

·
Registered
416 Posts
the "very wierd transistion gfx" in ff8 is what you should see on a real ps.

the FPS limiter with pc calculation is better(at least no slowdowns) in some games. like in bof4, the game will run at normal speed all the time, but music is too fast. btw, ps games(and n64, saturn,...etc) is 30fps with pc standard.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
the "pc fps calculation" is only looking for the fully rendered frames, ignoring the main emu vsync completely. It's a good way to get constante frame rate, but on the other side more complicated screen timings (like in mdecs or some games) the speed will be wrong (resulting in heavy sound glitches). A few games (mostly soccer ones for a strange reason) are in need of the "pc fps" option (I still think that the main emu vsync is screwed with such games).

about the fps timing with the "pc fps calculation": you usually will get 25/30 (PAL/NTSC) or 50/60 fps at full speed... but sometimes something strange like 45 fps is needed to get the correct speed... and even worse: it could happen that a certain part of the game needs 30 fps, another one 45, and some menu needs 60 fps, for example... that was the main reason why I changed the fps calculation with version 1.3x (or was it a 1.4x?)... before that version all plugins used the "pc fps" function. The new limitation is harder to do, but it will produce better results on most systems.

·
Registered
416 Posts
so it means that the FPS limiter of current gpu plugin is not independent, but depends on epsxe's internal vsync as well?

i wonder if lewpy's glide plugin does the same thing.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
erm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts