Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, thanks for providing such a good emulator for the masses.
Much appreciated. :wub:

I am currently able to run almost all PS games properly, but i am unable to hear any cd-audio for games that support it. Eg: Brigandine, Street Sk8ter2. I have these original psx games, and other then unable to hear any cd-audio from them, i am able to run them perfectly on epsxe. even got sound effects, but just no music.

I suddenly had this crazy idea and plugged in my headphone to the headphone jack thats in front of my cd-rom drive and i was damn surprised that i could hear CD-AUDIO music from the game!!

How can i solve this problem? I dun wanna have to buy additional speakers to plug into my cd-rom headphone jack just to listen to cd-audio music.

My computer specs are as follows:
=========================
CPU: Intel Pentium IIIE 1000 MHz
Motherboard ID: Asus CUV4X-C
Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro133A
System Memory: 512 MB (SDRAM)
Graphics Adapter: Triplex NVIDIA Geforce4 Ti-4200 64 MB
Fixed Storage: Seagate ST320011A 20 GB
Optical Drive: Samsung 52X CD-ROM SC-152A
Network Adapter: 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI
Audio Adapter: Creative Soundblaster Live! 24-Bit
Operating System: Windows XP Professional

Epsxe settings:
===========
Version 1.6.0
Video Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.75 (1024x768 32bit colour)
Sound Plugin: ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2. (All boxes are checked)
CDROM Plugin: ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.5.2.
PSX BIOS: SCPH1001.BIN

Could it be a plugin conflict? Hardware problem? Software problem? Bug?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Sorry for this very long post.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Basically this boils down to one of two possibilities

a) you have digital audio extraction disabled in windows
b) your drive cannot do digital audio extraction, and you do not have an analog audio cable between your drive and soundcard.

AFAIK Winxp has digital audio extraction enabled by default, and it is very unlikely that you managed to disable it by accident. Hence I would suspect b) in this case. To solve it you need to buy an analog audio cable (should be more than a buck or two) open up the pc and connect the drive to your soundcard. The spots are clearly marked (cd in on the soundcard, audio out on the cd drive) and can only be fitted in one direction, so the chances of a screwup is next to zero.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i do have this cable connected from my cd-rom to my soundcard and yes this cable is working as i've tested it on my other pcs playing audio cd on them, but didn't try to run epsxe cause its quite an old rig, unable to handle epsxe requirements.

I'm at a loss to wat to do.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Erm I'm sorry but I'm not really following you here. Do you mean that you removed the cable, attached to into another pc, tried to play music on that oO ?

If so the question is why? Why didn't you just try playing an audio cd on the problem machine? That would have tested the cable fine.

Also it is very likely that the drive in the "older" pc may actually support digital audio extraction (especially if it was a cd burner for instance). If that is the case then plugging the analog cable in to test would not prove anything, as that pc would never actually use it to playback cds in the first place.

(BTW my apologises in advance if I am misunderstanding you )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts